Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 10:58 PM

800 posts, read 730,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Why does it really JAR some people when anyone has anything good to say about Toronto at all... If you're not on the Toronto is bland and sucks bandwagon than you are simply a blindless T.O booster.. I just don't get why people can't post decent information about the city without the backlash.. Like any place it includes both good and bad but heaven forbid any of us say anything good about the city in this forum (not even making comparisons to other places whatsoever) lest we be accused of being boosters.. Its a very curious thing I find that dominates this forum in particular... Its also funny that the so called Toronto boosters in here didn't even mention cities like Chicago, NYC or Montreal etc in this thread they were simply talking about what they are proud of about the city (and some added what not so much which is fair enough) but introducing a verse mentality against other cities when that wasn't at all the pretext of the OP was just uncalled for and unnecessary imo.
Tis the life of message boards
Is it not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 11:05 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,410,619 times
What makes me proud to be from Toronto?

I'm proud of the fact that the downtown never shuts down. People live there (though I'm not entirely sure I like the current condo-mania), so folks are coming and going at all hours. I've advised local friends here in Alberta who are going to Toronto that outside of a couple of areas, they'll be pretty safe at any time of the day or night in the downtown, due to the number of people coming and going.

In spite of remarks made above, I'm proud of the transit system, and I think Torontonians all should be. Between GO and TTC, I've been able to get anywhere I need to. Sure, it could be better, and I still follow the endless squabbling over new subway lines in the newspapers. But if you've ever experienced Calgary's or Edmonton's transit systems, you'd wish they had a system like Toronto's. Frequent service on subways, buses, and streetcars--much more frequent than systems in Alberta, where I've waited up to half-an-hour for an LRT train (Edmonton, on a Sunday).

There is so much to do in Toronto--on a recent business visit, I had some free time, so I used that to catch a Blue Jays game. I've seen the Maple Leafs and Argos play too. On past visits, I've taken in a show at the Royal Alex or the Sony Centre. (And thanks to people like E.P. Taylor and Ed Mirvish, Toronto is a theatre centre nowadays.) Restaurants, bars, shopping, entertainment--it's all there.

Toronto has a fine, world-class university (U of T), that has produced Nobel laureates, and boasts a list of famous alumni, in all fields: politics, the arts, academia, and science, among others. In addition to being proud to be from Toronto, I am proud to be a graduate of that institution.

I like it here in Alberta, and it is my home now. But every now and then, I consider moving back to Toronto. It's my hometown, and there's nothing about it that doesn't make me proud to call it that.

Old 06-23-2015, 04:07 AM

678 posts, read 875,601 times
6 siiiiideeeee

Old 06-23-2015, 08:34 AM

3,865 posts, read 5,290,685 times
My gosh, this board is reaching a new low, but for some reason its entertaining. Keep it up.

TO is one of my "home towns" and I think the place has come a long way.

- As Chevy mentioned, I like that people actually want to and have a reason to live downtown. This includes being a good place to raise a family in addition to the usual urban dwellers in other demographics.

- The city is safe. Cant say that enough.

- There is a ton of cool sh*t to do. Festivals, good places to eat, high culture, sporting events, etc.. Toronto is a real big city with big city amenities. Do I think this is unique? Nope, but I do think it validates Toronto as a good place to live and play.

- Diverse economy. I still find the wages a bit too low for a city of its stature, but its the economic capital of Canada and offers all the perks that come along with that title.

- I dont think the Public transit is great, but its good enough to live life car-less if you choose. That sets it apart from most major cities throughout "Canamerica"

- On a personal level I appreciate that the city was a good place to grow up despite living in an area that had its challenges. If you work hard and stay focused and have good role models at home, you can keep your head down and stay away from issues that typically plague low income neighborhoods. Yeah there are kids who ended up in prison and some even dead, but you aren't forced into the lifestyle like some cities around the globe. You have options and for that I am grateful.

I probably will never live in Toronto again, but I love coming back and watching the city grow into something great. It will always be a major part of my life.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Okay back it up a little Yankee Doodle... I am not anti-American buy any means, but once our friends south of border take care of their own messed up **** they can throwing stones North. How many of you fools got to shoot each other dead before you realize the days of the Wild West are over?? What do need all those guns for ..... Hunting rabbits? Every big U.S. city has ghettos. I personally like the idea that here Canada its not likely that I will get shot just because and the shooter will pull some BS self defence story and get away with it. Any country with all that excess without full universal health is a joke. There are developing country's that have better health care access for the poor. P.S. We don't want to be New York... We want to be better. After all we are geographically located above you ..... so it's just natural we have to look down at you. Thanks for reminding me of all the other reasons why I am not only proud to be from Toronto, but Crazy proud to be Canadian! P.S. Have you even been to Toronto? If not hop on over (but leave your gun, that stuff ain't cool here) we would love to have you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
I would not knock Canada's Universal Health care. You Taxes pay for it and your vast resources you can export.... not to mention less toward a military. But the poor on Welfare or Disability in the US get it Free. Those who were in the Military can access Veterans Hospital. Most is free or a small co-pay.

My wife is on Disability for her health and Mental issues..... We do have a Big Medical Hospital near us in Central Pa. and local Hospital closer. Emergency rooms still cater to the poor. They end up absorbing the debt.... EVERY US NON-PROFIT HOPITAL MUST FORGIVE A % of debts. They get plenty of Donations from the Wealthy.... tax right-offs and government subsidies some... She pays only $1.20 for prescriptions.

I have regular insurance I pay $30.00 per doctor visit co-pay but a $500.00 deductible before insurance kicks in for a hospital procedure. My cost after that is 20%. My Co-Pay for one prescription is $8.00 it cost $80.00. NO I DO NOT LOVE IT. BUT NOTHING IS FREE Taxes still pay in Canada. Oh and I pay a % out of my paycheck... toward insurance, dental and eyewear. My Employer ways the Larger Share.

But the GUN THING.... was and Ghetto thing was stupid meant we know what.... You went overboard at my SARCASM and MADE IT A RANT... Stay in Canada please.... forget Florida... for winter Vacations... Cuba is cheaper anyway.

Can you imagine a AMERICAN SAYING THEY ARE PROUD TO BE A AMERICAN? we would get labeled overly patriotic and in denial of our issues????

I do not know of any AMERICAN THAT WAVES A CITY FLAG AND SAYS THEY ARE A PROUD RESIDENT OF THEIR BIG CITY... THEIR NATION YES. SHOWS THE CITY is most important for you then ALL CANADA PURHAPS... Can we say Québec and high-five that Province and city of Montréal too?

I think I will...... Nothing personal or against Canada...I respect it completely...AND THAT BOSTONKID ID who boast for Toronto in Threads....CLAIMING LIVING IN BOSTON ....NEEDS TO CHANGE IT TO TORONOKID OF TORONTO.... REALLY REALLY..... But for your neighbor to the South.... this in a couple weeks.....

You both sound fu*king ridiculous.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:57 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times
Can we for once talk about pros and cons about Toronto without mentioning the US and its problems? Why does it have to happen every time? It is like a disease.

OK, let me say something about life in Toronto.

The best thing I like about this city is its booming downtown, which is highly walkable/bikable and has so much to enjoy. This weekend we found a great restaurant on Parliament street, somewhere I seldom think of when looking for a place to eat, and it was fantastic. Toronto is taking this practical approach of building literally hundreds of highrise condos in the core, bringing tens of thousands of people close to work and entertainment, which is very cool and progressive. I expect to see a much denser downtown with a lot more to do in the coming years. This is really what keep me here: to be able to enjoy a completely car independent, or even transit free lifestyle most of the time yet still have access to so many urban amenities. Honestly I can't think of anything I need that I can't get easily by walking for 20 minutes or less.

I never consider TO to be a beautiful city, but it appears the city and its developers are starting to care about aesthetics of buildings and public space, which is encouraging at least. Even the fountain at Queen/University is fixed, LOL after so many years of neglect. Condo design is improving every year, and Queen's Quay just had a total make-over - I am not totally satisfied with the result, but it is miles better than before. Bike lanes are built on many DT streets, and the TTC just promised to offer 10 minutes frequency on many of its routes - not perfect, but in the right direction. Too bad East Gardiner will stay but UPe has opened and many other good projects are being built or under discussion.

Not many people mentioned the library system. Being a reader, I really appreciate the convenience of the service and size of the collection. Find any book you want to read and have it delivered to your local branch in 2 days. That's more than I can say about a lot of other cities.

I am not really a fan of festivals, but obviously there is a lot going on. Sunday when I passed Queen/John, like 1000 people, most of girls were lining up to get into some sort of music event there. I would never do that, nor am I so into pop music, but the sight of so many people lining up for some event makes me happy because that's what makes a city lively. Jazz festival is also ongoing, with plenty of free performance as well as ticket events. Personally, I just LOOOOVE to the centre of a city full of people, pedestrians who are engaging in all sorts of events/activities they are interested in.

I know I whine about weather A LOT, the fact is, despite the 4 miserable months we have every year, the remaining time of the year is quite good, decent at least. Washington DC was 34C yesterday, and trust me, I wouldn't like that. I much prefer the 26C we have here in Toronto. Shanghai will soon enter its 3+ month of high heat (we are talking about 35C with humidex often exceeding 40C here) and humidity until Oct, and I can't say I will enjoy that.

I however, wouldn't boast about its safety, because that is more of a Canada vs. US thing, and we all know that the vast majority of cities in developed countries are very safe - as safe as Toronto. I don't know why people constantly stress how safe Toronto is. Not everyone used to live in Southside Chicago or Oakland, CA. So it is really nothing to be proud of. That should be the default setting. The same applies to healthcare - Canada isn't exactly a top performer in terms of providing the greatest healthcare services unless you specifically compare to one country - the US.

Let's for once talking about Toronto without putting it into the Canada vs. US context, can we? The world is bigger than that.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:01 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,723,845 times
Default American city pride and American patriotic behaviour

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
I would not knock Canada's Universal Health care. You Taxes pay for it and your vast resources you can export.... not to mention less toward a military. But the poor on Welfare or Disability in the US get it Free. Those who were in the Military can access Veterans Hospital. Most is free or a small co-pay.

My wife is on Disability for her health and Mental issues..... We do have a Big Medical Hospital near us in Central Pa. and local Hospital closer. Emergency rooms still cater to the poor. They end up absorbing the debt.... EVERY US NON-PROFIT HOPITAL MUST FORGIVE A % of debts. They get plenty of Donations from the Wealthy.... tax right-offs and government subsidies some... She pays only $1.20 for prescriptions.

I have regular insurance I pay $30.00 per doctor visit co-pay but a $500.00 deductible before insurance kicks in for a hospital procedure. My cost after that is 20%. My Co-Pay for one prescription is $8.00 it cost $80.00. NO I DO NOT LOVE IT. BUT NOTHING IS FREE Taxes still pay in Canada. Oh and I pay a % out of my paycheck... toward insurance, dental and eyewear. My Employer ways the Larger Share.

But the GUN THING.... was and Ghetto thing was stupid meant we know what.... You went overboard at my SARCASM and MADE IT A RANT... Stay in Canada please.... forget Florida... for winter Vacations... Cuba is cheaper anyway.

Can you imagine a AMERICAN SAYING THEY ARE PROUD TO BE A AMERICAN? we would get labeled overly patriotic and in denial of our issues????

I do not know of any AMERICAN THAT WAVES A CITY FLAG AND SAYS THEY ARE A PROUD RESIDENT OF THEIR BIG CITY... THEIR NATION YES. SHOWS THE CITY is most important for you then ALL CANADA PURHAPS... Can we say Québec and high-five that Province and city of Montréal too?

I think I will...... Nothing personal or against Canada...I respect it completely...AND THAT BOSTONKID ID who boast for Toronto in Threads....CLAIMING LIVING IN BOSTON ....NEEDS TO CHANGE IT TO TORONOKID OF TORONTO.... REALLY REALLY..... But for your neighbor to the South.... this in a couple weeks.....
First off sorry to hear that your wife is not well and I am happy to hear that your family appears to have decent access to health care. I do not exactly agree with the idea that American's in big cities do not have city specific pride ex. Everthing is bigger in Texas, the big apple... the windy city... these are all slogans that convey pride. I do not think there is anything wrong with being proud of where you are from. Local pride just tells the rest of the country and world this is what makes us different! I find Americans convey very patriotic behaviour. This is not always a bag thing. Canadians on the other hand often convey a lack of pride... which is crazy because we live in an amazing country. Canada and Toronto have our issues too and we are by no means perfect, but I think we are getting a lot of things right and significantly safer system than most countries to allow self criticium and discussion on how we need to continue to evolve to improve. I am totally bias when comparing Big cities and smaller cities and towns. I LOVE fast, noisey and vibrant cities with lots going on, but that is not for everyone.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:02 AM

Default Bland.. I think not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Sorry guys - some of YOU are bland lol...

I agree!! I think there are people in Toronto that are bland, but Toronto is not bland.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Can we for once talk about pros and cons about Toronto without mentioning the US and its problems? Why does it have to happen every time? It is like a disease.

OK, let me say something about life in Toronto.

The best thing I like about this city is its booming downtown, which is highly walkable/bikable and has so much to enjoy. This weekend we found a great restaurant on Parliament street, somewhere I seldom think of when looking for a place to eat, and it was fantastic. Toronto is taking this practical approach of building literally hundreds of highrise condos in the core, bringing tens of thousands of people close to work and entertainment, which is very cool and progressive. I expect to see a much denser downtown with a lot more to do in the coming years. This is really what keep me here: to be able to enjoy a completely car independent, or even transit free lifestyle most of the time yet still have access to so many urban amenities. Honestly I can't think of anything I need that I can't get easily by walking for 20 minutes or less.

I never consider TO to be a beautiful city, but it appears the city and its developers are starting to care about aesthetics of buildings and public space, which is encouraging at least. Even the fountain at Queen/University is fixed, LOL after so many years of neglect. Condo design is improving every year, and Queen's Quay just had a total make-over - I am not totally satisfied with the result, but it is miles better than before. Bike lanes are built on many DT streets, and the TTC just promised to offer 10 minutes frequency on many of its routes - not perfect, but in the right direction. Too bad East Gardiner will stay but UPe has opened and many other good projects are being built or under discussion.

Not many people mentioned the library system. Being a reader, I really appreciate the convenience of the service and size of the collection. Find any book you want to read and have it delivered to your local branch in 2 days. That's more than I can say about a lot of other cities.

I am not really a fan of festivals, but obviously there is a lot going on. Sunday when I passed Queen/John, like 1000 people, most of girls were lining up to get into some sort of music event there. I would never do that, nor am I so into pop music, but the sight of so many people lining up for some event makes me happy because that's what makes a city lively. Jazz festival is also ongoing, with plenty of free performance as well as ticket events. Personally, I just LOOOOVE to the centre of a city full of people, pedestrians who are engaging in all sorts of events/activities they are interested in.

I know I whine about weather A LOT, the fact is, despite the 4 miserable months we have every year, the remaining time of the year is quite good, decent at least. Washington DC was 34C yesterday, and trust me, I wouldn't like that. I much prefer the 26C we have here in Toronto. Shanghai will soon enter its 3+ month of high heat (we are talking about 35C with humidex often exceeding 40C here) and humidity until Oct, and I can't say I will enjoy that.

I however, wouldn't boast about its safety, because that is more of a Canada vs. US thing, and we all know that the vast majority of cities in developed countries are very safe - as safe as Toronto. I don't know why people constantly stress how safe Toronto is. Not everyone used to live in Southside Chicago or Oakland, CA. So it is really nothing to be proud of. That should be the default setting. The same applies to healthcare - Canada isn't exactly a top performer in terms of providing the greatest healthcare services unless you specifically compare to one country - the US.

Let's for once talking about Toronto without putting it into the Canada vs. US context, can we? The world is bigger than that.
Good post. The US vs Canada discussion only appeals to the bottom of the barrel posters.

Saying a city is safe is not a boasting thing to some of us, its just recognizing that the city is a vibrant safe place to live by most standards. For the record I also view most US cities extremely safe as well, because my view of the world is alot larger than two countries like some idiots.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:23 AM

Default Go Toronto Public Libraries!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

I am glad that someone else agrees with how good the Toronto Public Library is. I am really not a big reader and hardly used the library since out of school, until like 2 years ago when they were considering closing or cutting hours at some of the branches and I decided to look in to the service. I got to say I was amazed about how many services are offered for free! I am really in to music and movies and you get take out just about anything. You can search for the stuff you want online and request it and they send it to any branch you choose in the city and notify you when it arrives to come pick it up. You can return the items taken out at any location. You can get free passes to city historical sites and museums. There are classes and events at no cost. We are very lucky to have this system in place. I encourage anyone reading this living in Toronto to get a public library card and try out services. Our library system has great resources that are multilingual. There are some resource or items you can use on line. Online music and books.

Also agree with the comment about talking Canada without referring to the US. There are so many other countries in the world... not just the 2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto