Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 10:28 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I wish no one cared. Down with organized sports and their disgusting budgets.
I'm inclined to agree - they always go over budget and never seem to really contribute what the advocates propose.. There's far better things we could invest in with our money but no sense crying over spilled milk re Pan Am - its done..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 10:30 AM

800 posts, read 730,356 times
I hope it does well. I'll go support. I'm all for sports. I hope it doesn't fail.

But I do think this town only cares about amateur hockey. We don't support sports, especially future stars, the same way as usa. I guess we are too good for that.

O well. Seems like the best athletes go to usa anyway. More money. Seems like a resistance to sports in Canada.

Last edited by Karassmatic; 07-04-2015 at 10:40 AM..

Old 07-04-2015, 10:38 AM

287 posts, read 306,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
The summer has just started and we are talking about lower occupancy rates in 2015 vs 2014??... What are we talking about here - that the Games aren't performing as expected or that tourism is down in the city from 2014 levels? We're kind of all over the place. Its early in the summer so people should chill out and wait to see when all is said and done - for Pan am and for overall tourism in Toronto 2015 vs 2014 - we are only HALF way through 2015...

I already agreed with you that more targeted events representative of the city is the way to go - but if over time Pan Am generates word of mouth buzz for the city that may not be a bad thing. Toronto is performing well in International tourism but there is room for big improvement so chill out and wait and see.. I think Ontario is better suited to handle a flop sporting event anyway than Greece... Unless of course you are comparing Canada/Ontario's problems to Greece lol??

Who knows - tourism stats may have been worse in Greece without the Olympics than with and things might have been a bit worse for em... Greece has more fundamental issues than we have anyway. Man chill out if things don't work out as well as expected with Pan Am chalk it up as a learning experience and move on..
The comparison of occupancy is for the same time last year, so it doesn't matter whether summer just started or not - it was just starting around July last year too but the hotels were a lot fuller back then, and like I said before, last year CAD was worth a lot more than today, so for international visitors from many countries ( especially the folks with US$), it is much cheaper to visit Toronto this year

A learning experience? That's got to be a heck of an expensive lesson to learn, and that money could have been spent on much better things like infrastructure ( such as better subway, which in the long run, is much better for tourism as well as making life easier for locals). Anyway, I admire your optimism

Old 07-04-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moveagain View Post
The comparison of occupancy is for the same time last year, so it doesn't matter whether summer just started or not - it was just starting around July last year too but the hotels were a lot fuller back then, and like I said before, last year CAD was worth a lot more than today, so for international visitors from many countries ( especially the folks with US$), it is much cheaper to visit Toronto this year

A learning experience? That's got to be a heck of an expensive lesson to learn, and that money could have been spent on much better things like infrastructure ( such as better subway, which in the long run, is much better for tourism as well as making life easier for locals). Anyway, I admire your optimism
Let's wait and see about occupancy rates/tourism numbers/dollars spent on tourism in 2015 vs 2014 when all the data is in (which it is not unless you have a crystal ball).. In the mean time its wah wah wah and speculation with very limited data..

In red - I pity cynicism, pessimism and caution to the point that nothing happens and people complain about everything.. You even complained about load music during Pride lol.. Heck move away from where these things happen - Move to a quieter part of the city - you have lots of choices to move to a quiet place in the city in order for you to stay at home and knit in peace.

Old 07-04-2015, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Let's wait and see about occupancy rates/tourism numbers/dollars spent on tourism in 2015 vs 2014 when all the data is in (which it is not unless you have a crystal ball).. In the mean time its wah wah wah..

In red - I pity cynicism, pessimism and caution to the point that nothing happens.. You even complained about load music during Pride lol.. Heck move away from where these things happen - Move to a quieter part of the city - you have lots of choices...
I choose to live in DT since it's close to work but I didn't sign up for the music -- you can play anything you want and I have no problem with it, but all the way till past midnight? some people have to get up early in the morning for work, and there are little kids and old/sick folks living in the area too

Blind optimism is what led to today's Greece, and I am sure they will still be pretty optimistic that after their vote tomorrow someone will have to pay for their debt, and they will continue to live happily ever after.

Old 07-04-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
I choose to live in DT since it's close to work but I didn't sign up for the music -- you can play anything you want and I have no problem with it, but all the way till past midnight? some people have to get up early in the morning for work, and there are little kids and old/sick folks living in the area too

Blind optimism is what led to today's Greece, and I am sure they will still be pretty optimistic that after their vote tomorrow someone will have to pay for their debt, and they will continue to live happily ever after.
All the way past midnight? Lord in many cities the party doesn't Start until midnight.. I stick by my comment - if you want a year round quiet place move outside the DT core close to a subway line where its more quiet - otherwise you chose to live in one of the most dense parts of the continent, you'll have to accept that things are going to get a bit noisy from time to time at times you don't want even if you work the next day.. Buy earplugs and a white noise machine or something if you want to stay living where you are - the city isn't going to close down for you!

I'm not advocating blind optimism but you should wait until tourism stats are in for 2015 before coming to any conclusion and basing your opinion on limited data! To compare Ontario/Canada to Greece is well - you know a little far flung but if you're that concerned about economics in Ontario than by all means create a thread about the state of the Province/Nation economically and as Justin says - Cry me a river...

Old 07-04-2015, 11:00 AM

800 posts, read 730,356 times
People in toronto just love to complain. I'm training myself not to do so. I think the pan am games is great regardless. I don't see the Olympics coming here after this though. Toronto is not a good city for it judging from the resistance to the pan am. It's great the athletes get to showcase their skills. Plenty of future Olympic superstars will be in town. We should see them!

Old 07-04-2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karassmatic View Post
People in toronto just love to complain. I'm training myself not to do so. I think the pan am games is great regardless. I don't see the Olympics coming here after this though. Toronto is not a good city for it judging from the resistance to the pan am. It's great the athletes get to showcase their skills. Plenty of future Olympic superstars will be in town. We should see them!
See Karassmatic - we don't always disagree

Vibe starts with people and if you have a bunch of whiners and complainers than yeah that's the vibe you're gonna get - after all a city is a collection of people!

I agree about the Olympics though - we just don't seem to be the type of people who get all riled up about things like Pan Am and the Olympics - especially summer type sporting events! Pan Am games will Always be bigger in S.A than Canada.. Even the U.S doesn't get all hot and bothered by Pan Am.

Old 07-04-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
All the way past midnight? Lord in many cities the party doesn't Start until midnight.. I stick by my comment - if you want a year round quiet place move outside the DT core close to a subway line where its more quiet - otherwise you chose to live in one of the most dense parts of the continent, you'll have to accept that things are going to get a bit noisy from time to time at times you don't want even if you work the next day.. Buy earplugs and a white noise machine or something if you want to stay living where you are - the city isn't going to close down for you!

I'm not advocating blind optimism but you should wait until tourism stats are in for 2015 before coming to any conclusion and basing your opinion on limited data! To compare Ontario/Canada to Greece is well - you know a little far flung but if you're that concerned about economics in Ontario than by all means create a thread about the state of the Province/Nation economically and as Justin says - Cry me a river...
Again, the tourism will go on with or without the game, the point is how much the game contributes to that, anyway, I am only concerned how my tax $ will be wasted one way or another - I know it's useless but at least people should be aware of it, that's why that concern should stick to this thread.

As to the party, you have your right to party and I have my right to complain, this city is not just for you either!

Old 07-04-2015, 12:05 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,174,581 times
Quote:
It will be a flop, not on the scale of the Olympics in Greece, but will be pretty bad.
I remember about a month ago the nighly news talked about the ticket sale, saying over half of the tickets were still not sold. At that time I thought, maybe people will buy it at the last minute ... doesn't seem like it now. Based on the report above, I am guessing the Pan Am attracts fewer visitors than last year's Pride ( which I hated, since the music was blasting through my window every single night till midnight)
Thank you for the indepth analysis, and for your expert knowledge in the economics of sporting events.

Panam is hardly the largest sporting event in Canadian history. Vancouver 2010 Winter Games and Montreal 1976 Summer Games were all equally if not larger sporting events that were organized on far greater scale.

Also, any large scale sporting events will produce some externalities on its host city. For Toronto and the GTA, it would be large-scale infrastructure improvements that wouldn't have gone through had there not been Panem or other future sporting events - e.g. Union Pearson Express, Eglington Crosstown, Queen's Quay revitalization, GO Transit Regional Express Rail. All of these projects are either in full construction mode or already completed.

Stop being so negative and cynical. Maybe I'm misreading your posts, but most of your past posts have been complaints about Toronto and how much you think the city fails to deliver up to your personal expectations in every area, and how your tax dollars are being wasted day in day out (as if the rest of us don't pay any taxes). Like I said, maybe I've misinterpreted your message, but wouldn't you think it's better to devote those words to the responsible municipal agencies who will actually handle and most likely be able provide solutions to your complaints? A simple email inquiry to your local MPP, City Councillor Office, Metrolinx Public Consultation Office, or a myriad of other planning and construction agencies will yield much better and more concrete answers than repeated complaints on an anonymous online forum, you think not? In many cases, most of these public agencies can provide ready answers in real-time simply by replying to your Twitter questions. It's really that simple - I've done that many times with Metrolinx and TTC making inquiries about project updates and project budget disclosure via Twitter @Metrolinx @TTC @TorontoComms @ONgov

Like Fusion, I really think it's a pity how certain people in this city always respond with a knee-jerk cynical response whenever there is any kind of development (though this phenomenon is certainly not unique to Toronto). I remember when UP Express first opened a few weeks ago, there were a few local bloggers who blasted the line saying how it will be empty trains and a big flop. To them, no matter what happens, it will always be not good enough, not cheap enough, not fast enough, and most commonly - not in my back yard. Where do you the draw the line between constructive criticism and pure cynicism?

So despite the cynicism, I took an hour out of my day and went to actually try out the new UP Express train line just to see if those complaints are justified, and my impression? It was a fantastic experience, almost on par with similar experiences with London Heathrow Express and Stockholm's Arlanda Express (and cheaper). The ride was smooth, guaranteed at under 25 min, the service and amenities were fantastic - station lounge room, local coffee bar, free WiFi, comfy seats with great views, and easy transfer to Union and Pearson T1. And just from my casual observations, my outbound train was half full from Union on a weekend afternoon, and was fully packed at 100% capacity on its way back. So, just from a revenue standpoint after merely 6 weeks of operation, it most certainly cannot be called a "flop".

Last edited by bostonkid123; 07-04-2015 at 12:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto