Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2015, 06:15 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,726,194 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any suggestion as to where to find interesting vintage furniture in Toronto? I am looking for a few 1900s to 1960s style pieces to refinish to add some custom flare to some rooms in my home and backyard that are small scale (not large and boxy). Tired of big box store generic stuff. Looking for things are not as large and different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 06:50 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Anyone have any suggestion as to where to find interesting vintage furniture in Toronto? I am looking for a few 1900s to 1960s style pieces to refinish to add some custom flare to some rooms in my home and backyard that are small scale (not large and boxy). Tired of big box store generic stuff. Looking for things are not as large and different.
Have you tried some of the vintage shops in QSW? They aren't just for vintage clothing.

The Best Vintage Furniture Stores in Toronto

My cousin swears by Mennonite furniture stores in St Jacobs Ontario.. It may not be vintage but its good quality stuff - wooden furnishings definitely NOT the Ikea crap type stuff..

Old 08-10-2015, 03:23 AM

281 posts, read 327,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Have you tried some of the vintage shops in QSW? They aren't just for vintage clothing.

Looks like there are a few places that sell mid-century modern stuff. Thanks for giving me something to do next weekend!

Old 08-10-2015, 11:10 AM

Default Looking for something a bit more rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post

My cousin swears by Mennonite furniture stores in St Jacobs Ontario.. It may not be vintage but its good quality stuff - wooden furnishings definitely NOT the Ikea crap type stuff..
Thanks for the reply. I have seen this article and looked at some of these stores. I think I am looking for some stuff that is a bit more rough ... ex has not been touched up and refinished by someone else. There are several places on Kingston Road in the beaches and just east of the beaches that sell this type of stuff, but I have not been able to find exactly what I am looking for yet. I may end up trying to make it myself. I have never been to St. Jacobs, but that seems like an interesting idea. I have even tried some local second hand stores.. but have not been able to find what I am looking for yet. I have heard from several people that the people that own these types of vintage stores often get their stuff from places like value villiage, estate sales or garage sale and touch it up. It seems very time consuming so I can appreciate why they furniture is often marked up so high. I am also pretty selective about the condition and source of the items I get ex I do not want to get bed bugs or an item that is haunted (watching too much cable tv shows like the Haunted Collector, Paranormal Witness and The Haunted and don't want to pick up someone's dearly departed granny's Dybbuk box ).

Old 08-10-2015, 04:15 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Well whatever you decide guys - good luck furniture shopping! I think there's some sort of ghost detection device if you are that concerned about buying haunted stuff

Old 08-11-2015, 08:12 PM

481 posts, read 427,575 times
The strip going east along Queen Street West from Roncesvalles.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:17 PM

1 posts, read 734 times
Hello! You should try thegoodfind.ca. You can find great pieces posted from vintage stores across Toronto on here. Some in excellent condition, and some from amateurs that need a bit of a touch up. Hope this helps!

Old 10-26-2015, 11:55 AM

Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katepetru View Post
Hello! You should try thegoodfind.ca. You can find great pieces posted from vintage stores across Toronto on here. Some in excellent condition, and some from amateurs that need a bit of a touch up. Hope this helps!
Thanks. Will do.

Old 10-26-2015, 12:18 PM

Default Checked it out ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katepetru View Post
Checked it out... not a fan. Way too expensive for what the items actually are in my opinion (with exception to the starburst clock.. depending on the demenstion). It could be just what it up for sale right now, but I would personally rather get something in rougher condition and fix it up myself. I was looking for a piece, but I think I am just going to make it myself ( ... or draw it and get my dad to build it ). There is nothing cooler as a custom peice of furniture (or one refurished with a little DIY spunk).

Old 10-27-2015, 10:28 AM

481 posts, read 427,575 times
Did you try the suggestion below?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Beth View Post
The strip going east along Queen Street West from Roncesvalles.

There's also the strip on Queen Street West both just east and slightly further west of Bathurst on the south side of the street. There are finds if you have a keen eye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto