Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2015, 07:42 AM

24 posts, read 19,198 times

Advertisements

Hi all

I am looking to see if there are many working from home opportunities in Toronto? I am moving from the uk to Toronto and have a 2 years old daughter, have heard that child care is very expensive and in the Uk I have always been on the go, looking for a better quality of life, looking to make some extra money from doing doing data entry work one selling like Avon or other products or even trying out my hand at online trading, I'm pretty much flexible and willing to learn new things,

Anyone working from home for some extra cash? Any ideas of what I can do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 08:01 PM

36 posts, read 161,173 times
Hi,
I think you should be careful if you want to work from home in Toronto and I suggest you look into the city zoning first. The Residential/commercial zoning is very strict here and I have heard some crazy stories about it. Unless the area is zoned for commercial, a lot of business activities are restricted. (there are different zonings for different businesses, though).

For example, my friend is an acupuncturist and he was working from home - a house which is only a block away from Bloor street (one of the main commercial streets). But one day the city worker visited him and he had to close it because his house was in the residential area. Apparently having your clients visit your house in the residential area is a "disturbance" to the area/neighbors.

It may be understandable, but I have heard something crazier. A lady was working from home as an independent insurance broker. No visitor. Yet neighbors found out about it and complained. The city was involved and all - I don't remember how it ended up though. She might have been permitted to continue after all- but my point is that it seems people (especially in the residential area) are sensitive about any kind of business going on from home.

Old 08-16-2015, 05:37 AM

24 posts, read 19,198 times
Hi

Thanks for your reply, didn't realise I had to look into all that,

Is it the same for selling things online?

Old 08-16-2015, 07:26 AM

36 posts, read 161,173 times
Hi,

If you're to sell things online then it should be fine but I would still be careful not to stand out (for example I wouldn't go back and forth between my car and house carrying my "products"). As long as everything is completed within your place and neighbors don't know what you're doing, you should be fine. I actually do make some money online selling digital products overseas (I should have mentioned it in my last post) and it never has been a problem.

The Tax agency or other government departments wouldn't care abut it actually - just the city and its zoning department (mostly when there is a complaint). Some people do work from home (like fortune tellers/massage therapists/tutoring etc.) but they don't do it openly. You can still find these businesses possibly online (websites etc.) but no addresses are provided - you'll know then that they are doing it from home, that kind of stuff.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto