Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 08:19 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,367,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
The concept of "respect the autonomy of others" was somehow missed in US law. Canada is different. It's not okay to make statements that incite hatred towards others, so although some would prefer to view a middle aged man who incites violence against women as an immature brat, others would like to see the law used to silence that violent middle aged man.

Jian Ghomeshi was viewed as an immature brat at work. Look at him now. Not an immature brat at all - just a violent man who believes it's his right to attack women.
Ghomeshi may be everything you think he is, but if you want to stick to the letter of the law (and apparently you do), he hasn't actually been convicted of anything in a court at this point. "Innocent till proven guilty" eh? Except possibly in the court of public opinion, but, that is an entirely different matter.

People can make violent threats all the time that are simply rhetoric, hyperbole, or humour... I can threaten to pull someone's tongue out and feed it to the crows. Crazy empty threat. I can blather away and make similar silly statements directed at a select group of people -- it wouldn't matter who -- but the "threat" would remain implausible and unlikely. So how are you going to define hate speech? It has to have a likelihood of resulting in violence, in my opinion.

Roosh wants to seem totally bad*** but at the moment he's looking like the emperor who has no clothes.

Did anyone consider the possibility that maybe he never intended to actually follow through with his tour? 40 countries and 100+ cities? Speaking of things that are implausible. This whole thing smells of publicity stunt. It would be simple to generate a hubbub on social media. He probably has multiple aliases online to give himself a sock puppet following. Fake social media profiles and so forth. That so-called world tour was never going to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 11:17 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,954,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Ghomeshi may be everything you think he is, but if you want to stick to the letter of the law (and apparently you do), he hasn't actually been convicted of anything in a court at this point. "Innocent till proven guilty" eh? Except possibly in the court of public opinion, but, that is an entirely different matter.

People can make violent threats all the time that are simply rhetoric, hyperbole, or humour... I can threaten to pull someone's tongue out and feed it to the crows. Crazy empty threat. I can blather away and make similar silly statements directed at a select group of people -- it wouldn't matter who -- but the "threat" would remain implausible and unlikely. So how are you going to define hate speech? It has to have a likelihood of resulting in violence, in my opinion.

Roosh wants to seem totally bad*** but at the moment he's looking like the emperor who has no clothes.

Did anyone consider the possibility that maybe he never intended to actually follow through with his tour? 40 countries and 100+ cities? Speaking of things that are implausible. This whole thing smells of publicity stunt. It would be simple to generate a hubbub on social media. He probably has multiple aliases online to give himself a sock puppet following. Fake social media profiles and so forth. That so-called world tour was never going to happen.
BBM

This is not exactly true: "make similar silly statements directed at a select group of people". Keegstra made silly statements directed at a select group of people and he was imprisoned. In Canada, silly statements directed at a select group of people, such as women, gypsies, and jews, is against the law.

How this middle aged rapist appears to North Americans could be vastly different from how his statements of legalized rape are interpreted by Syrian rebels, soldiers, ISIS, ISIL, Daesh, and devout Muslims.

Old 02-06-2016, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
BBM

This is not exactly true: "make similar silly statements directed at a select group of people". Keegstra made silly statements directed at a select group of people and he was imprisoned. In Canada, silly statements directed at a select group of people, such as women, gypsies, and jews, is against the law.

How this middle aged rapist appears to North Americans could be vastly different from how his statements of legalized rape are interpreted by Syrian rebels, soldiers, ISIS, ISIL, Daesh, and devout Muslims.
You missed the point -- that it has to at least be a plausible threat before a legal line is crossed.

Old 02-08-2016, 12:47 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,725,072 times
Thought this was interesting.

Daryush 'Roosh' Valizadeh at center of international 'pro-rape' storm pictured | Daily Mail Online

Old 02-11-2016, 02:37 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
This guy gets WAAAAY too much coverage... I think the biggest audience he has had was in NYC and there were 77 LOOOOOOSERS I mean guys.... zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Old 02-11-2016, 06:06 PM

If you see a few photos of him, his beard is greyer in some, dark in others... all videos from the same year. The guy is heavily into using Grecian Formula, if you catch my drift. I have doubts about his actual age, he's probably a good ten years beyond whatever he's claiming to be.

I'm somewhat mystified why more hasn't been made of his borderline pedophilia activities. His predilection for barely legal girls, is what I'm referring to. He has a tendency to skirt the law. Just a matter of time before he winds up on the wrong side of the law on that matter. He's playing with fire and he's going to get burned. Not that it matters... 99% of the population still doesn't know who on earth this guy is.

A loon with just a handful of "followers", playing the media and the social justice warriors for fools. That's all he is. The back page flavour of the week.

Old 02-11-2016, 06:52 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,725,072 times
The sad reality is that there are men out there that think this way. He just happens to be the current mouth piece. I am not sure what is worse ... Saying what you truly feel even though it is not politically correct or pretending to believe in the currently deemed politically way of thinking, but actually thinking and acting this way towards women. Then again Roosh does not appear to be showing his true colours then trying to hook up with women so he appears to be the worst of both situations.

Old 05-07-2016, 11:30 AM

169 posts, read 111,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
The idea that women should be dressed modesty to distract unwanted attention is old.... like really old and not specifically related to Islam ... it probably predate Islam. Women in North America have been fighting this belief for a really long time and only have started wining more freedom in this area in the last few decades in North America. It was only a few decades ago that it was still socially acceptable to suggest that women who walked around the city alone dressed in clothes that would likely attract a man's attention where asking for it if they got raped. This misogynistic attitude has been around a long time and is not exclusive to Islam though at present many, if not most Islamic countries appear to uphold this historical attitude in the worst sense. I totally think that any group being oppressed for what ever reason eventually decides at some point enough is enough and local fights for change emerge ... I am sure it is only a matter of time before women are Burkas are burning in the streets of Iran and Saudi Arabia... but as far as I am concerned the rest of the world can provide the inspiration.. but it is there battle to take on. People have to want change and make efforts to make change happen.
I disagree. I don't respect women who dress like whores. I have no respect for women like that. Dressing like a ***** will increase chances of getting raped. It's funny how most rapist were abused as a child and considering many men were raised by single mothers guess who's at fault? Women. Only stupid men get married to these women who dress like whores. It's not that I hate women. I in fact want to respect women.
You wouldn't count $100 bills on a busy intersection would you? You would be down right stupid and it's same with wearing slutty clothes. I'm tired with the feminist bull****.

Old 05-07-2016, 11:33 AM

169 posts, read 111,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post

And that stupid site got it wrong. They claimed he was living his parents basement. When in fact he lives in Europe. He was visiting his parents at the time. He wasn't promoting rape it wasn't being serious if you read the article. Laws wouldn't change it either. The article he wrote was about taking responsibility to reduce risk.

He did admit that he does sleep with drunk women. Women so drunk they can't walk straight. He claims women just pick a guy to go home with so she can have sex.

Old 05-07-2016, 12:17 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadmike View Post
I disagree. I don't respect women who dress like whores. I have no respect for women like that. Dressing like a ***** will increase chances of getting raped. It's funny how most rapist were abused as a child and considering many men were raised by single mothers guess who's at fault? Women. Only stupid men get married to these women who dress like whores. It's not that I hate women. I in fact want to respect women.
You wouldn't count $100 bills on a busy intersection would you? You would be down right stupid and it's same with wearing slutty clothes. I'm tired with the feminist bull****.
So you are defending guys who rape simply because of the way a woman dresses? As far as i'm concerned, she can walk down the street naked - if she says NO it means NO PERIOD! Don't make excuses for criminal activity. Another thing to think of is what a society treats as dressing 'slutty' - it varies from place to place, society to society and culture to culture. Blaming single mothers - again... Typical blame the woman mentality.

The counting money argument as an analogy is totally bogus.. Its like saying a woman who has a wallet in her purse shouldn't go out with her wallet in her purse because she runs the risk of someone snatching her purse. Stop making excuses for criminal activity - the crime is the problem and in this case that crime is theft. The other case the crime was the rape not the fact the woman dressed 'slutty'

Last edited by fusion2; 05-07-2016 at 12:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto