Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 04:54 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,726,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I didn't go this year KLM. Glad you got to get out though! I was lazy last night
I almost did not go either, but decided to go last minute at around 9:30 pm. It ended up not feeling as cold as the news kept on saying it would be. When I get a chance I want to check out the pictures taken of the other installations. Missing summer already .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 09:58 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I almost did not go either, but decided to go last minute at around 9:30 pm. It ended up not feeling as cold as the news kept on saying it would be. When I get a chance I want to check out the pictures taken of the other installations. Missing summer already .
It wasn't just the cold it was the wind.. I had to get a bunch of stuff off the balcony as everything was blowing all over.. At that point I thought, meh its popcorn and a movie in night - nuit blanche will always be there next year

Old 10-05-2015, 07:53 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
It is more about the wind that the cold. It was 11 degree that night, how cold can it be?

I wore a hoodie only and it was totally fine. I met quite a few people (young people) in Canada Goose. Are they serious? What are they going to wear when it is 30 degrees lower?

I am not an artsy person but love this kind of events because they bring people out of their suburban homes to participate in city life. That's the kind of street vibrancy I want to see more often.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:50 AM

Default Blame the weather people lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
It is more about the wind that the cold. It was 11 degree that night, how cold can it be?

I wore a hoodie only and it was totally fine. I met quite a few people (young people) in Canada Goose. Are they serious? What are they going to wear when it is 30 degrees lower?

I am not an artsy person but love this kind of events because they bring people out of their suburban homes to participate in city life. That's the kind of street vibrancy I want to see more often.

I was listening to the news and they totally exagerated about how cold it was. It was fairly windy, but it ended up being fine. Mind you I was staying clear from the area with all those glass pannels that periodically fall just in case . I got on the subway from the east end of the bloor danforth line around 10pm to head to the event and it was packed (it is never packed at night). I left at around 12:30 am and was happy I went. It was nice to see large groups of people out and about the city late at night checking out what was going on. Considering we will all be freezing our butts off in the next 2 months I am trying to enjoy every moment weather above 0 degrees that I can !

Old 10-05-2015, 08:19 PM

[vimeo]141375156[/vimeo]
https://vimeo.com/141375156

Old 10-05-2015, 08:37 PM

Default Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
That looks great I did not want to wait 45 minutes to take the picture. They made it seem like it was going on walks. Cool.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
That looks great I did not want to wait 45 minutes to take the picture. They made it seem like it was going on walks. Cool.
This video was very well done! Loved the music too, really grabs you!

Old 10-07-2015, 11:31 AM

578 posts, read 572,750 times
So I went. I flew up from Boston for the weekend. I was a bit underwhelmed by the exhibits, but I noticed several things in your video that I would have liked to see. I think part of it is that the lines were just so very long to see things. When everything is spread out and has long lines, you miss a lot of stuff.

I still have to figure out how you guys describe weather up there. I had a light sweater and light jacket being prepared. needed the jacket down by Queen's Quay where it was really, really windy. How did you get videos on that torus thing - I wouldn't even venture out on that with it pitching all over the place. Other than that it was way warmer than I had thought it would be. i just carried my jacket and had to roll up my sweater sleeves. I mean, you guys are further north than we are! that was NOT chilly!

I was reading how so many people are complaining about the crowds and the partying and booze and such. Yeah, I have to say I have never seen crowds like that, even in the old days of First Night Boston. But, if that is what you guys consider rowdy, you need to take a few trips to some outdoor events down here. Seriously. I was surprised by the crowd makeup. Almost everybody was under 30, I felt really old. And no kids - do they have kids up there? Outside of eth aquarium I hardly saw any!

They could definitely make it either easier to get from one location to the next, or better yet do a little consolidating of the exhibits. But it certainly is a lot better event than comparable things they have down here.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:33 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Being "underwhelmed" is normal. I go every time expecting to be underwhelmed because most of the exhibits are usually not that interesting - some outright boring. Usually there are a few cool things worth checking out. It is not supposed to be an impressive grand event - it just provide an opportunity for artists to show their work and people to socialize. I usually go with a bunch of friends, walking here and there and it is fun. Are the exhibits impressive? Usually not.

No, it was not cold at all. Windy yes. I don't understand why so many people were all bundled up like it were -20 degrees. That was weird to me as well.

As to rowdiness - it is supposed to be an art event, not a big party, and alcohol is not supposed to be part of it. I didn't see any stupid chaos, nor do I want to see it either. I prefer civil and respectful events without vomiting and shouting - leave those to the stupid college kids. I just don't see any fun in that any more. Adults should learn to have fun without consuming any alcohol.

Not almost everyone was under 30... among the bunch of us, only 2 were under 30, and the other 4 are over. I am sure there are a lot of other more mature visitors too. Or maybe Torontonians look younger? LOL.

Not having them next to each other is the point I think. They want people to walk around the entire downtown, not just a few spots. This is why it is spread from Bloor to Queens Quay. It is intentional. Crowding might be another concern as at some spots you need to wait in line for 10 minutes just to get in.

Anyhow, I think it is a good event. Not much that wows you, but it brings people together and provides a platform for artists to showcase their work.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:38 PM

Default The crowd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudship View Post
So I went. I flew up from Boston for the weekend. I was a bit underwhelmed by the exhibits, but I noticed several things in your video that I would have liked to see. I think part of it is that the lines were just so very long to see things. When everything is spread out and has long lines, you miss a lot of stuff.

I still have to figure out how you guys describe weather up there. I had a light sweater and light jacket being prepared. needed the jacket down by Queen's Quay where it was really, really windy. How did you get videos on that torus thing - I wouldn't even venture out on that with it pitching all over the place. Other than that it was way warmer than I had thought it would be. i just carried my jacket and had to roll up my sweater sleeves. I mean, you guys are further north than we are! that was NOT chilly!

I was reading how so many people are complaining about the crowds and the partying and booze and such. Yeah, I have to say I have never seen crowds like that, even in the old days of First Night Boston. But, if that is what you guys consider rowdy, you need to take a few trips to some outdoor events down here. Seriously. I was surprised by the crowd makeup. Almost everybody was under 30, I felt really old. And no kids - do they have kids up there? Outside of eth aquarium I hardly saw any!

They could definitely make it either easier to get from one location to the next, or better yet do a little consolidating of the exhibits. But it certainly is a lot better event than comparable things they have down here.
I really think that the weather reports ex windy and cold sort of scared some people away from wanting to go out that night. Predicting the weather in city is kind of comical. The only specific type of weather that prevents me from going out is lightening and I have literally been checking the weather at is says nothing about lightening and I am seeing light strikes flashing around me. I think as best the weather is an educated guess. I also think they possibly had nothing better to talk about that night on the news so they over sold the cold/wind story line.

Seeing kids or adults over 30 at this event was tricky and it depends on which part of the event you went too. I did see some children and some people that were over 30, but there were so many people in their late teens and early 20s that they others just got lost in the crowd. I also got their around 10:30/11:00 pm so that may have been why I did not see a lot of kids. Also good to note that several of the city's universities and colleges have locations in the downtown core so those people actually live around there anyways. The idea of staying out all night for an event to me seems more appealing to someone younger (teens to early 20s) as someone older knows that they technically could do this anytime they wanted. Also some of the instillations can be graphic and would not really be appropriate for children. This event does not really seem too kid focused. Many Toronto events do have areas or parts that are more kid focused. Possibly something that could be done in future to encourage attendance by more families with children. Regarding the age of the crowd... I would question if the Toronto crowd may also just look a bit younger? I am in my 30s I was there. My brother is in his 40s and always says with pride that people think he is in his 20s lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto