Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 06:32 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,725,072 times

Advertisements

I came across this very concerning situation today that is sort of weighing heavy on my head right now. A teacher at a local school mentioned to me that not all of the kids in the class can afford to be in the snack program and there are some kids that certainly could do with more so they try to also offer them extra food from the program when they can. I did not fully process what she meant at the time because we were talking about a few different things and I was in a hurry. I am not sure if she was suggesting that there are kids in her class that are having difficulty with access to enough food in general (problems with food insecurity) or just that they were on the slender side because they were picky eaters. I need to touch base with that teacher again to tomorrow to understand what she meant. Any teachers out there in Toronto or the GTA want to provide some feedback on this? How common is it for you to see children in the school system that are having issues with malnutrition/ not getting enough food to eat due to food insecurity in Toronto or the GTA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 07:19 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,367,344 times
I'm guessing that how "common" it is, would depend upon the neighbourhood, the community, and the school. Anecdotal stories don't add up to the same quality of information you'd get from objective research studies.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:21 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times
I have trouble believing kids would have trouble getting enough food here.

Food is every cheap in Toronto/Canada. No need to eat anything fancy, but it is probably difficult to be mal-nutritioned here. Maybe some parents can't afford the menu the school offer in the "program" with the jacked-up price?

Old 10-02-2015, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I have trouble believing kids would have trouble getting enough food here.

Food is every cheap in Toronto/Canada. No need to eat anything fancy, but it is probably difficult to be mal-nutritioned here. Maybe some parents can't afford the menu the school offer in the "program" with the jacked-up price?

I was not able to get hold of the teacher as of yet to clairify what she was referring too specifically. Access to food can actually still be a problem even in this city especially if the person in question is dependent on someone ex. all children or adults with physical or mential deficets. So if volunterable people in the communty are being negelected by their care givers or lack the ability to access food independently by using the resources available.

While in school I had the opportunies to do some volunteer work at a food bank, soup kitchens and communties centers that service people living in Toronto with low incomes, no status (ex living in Toronto without being landed immigrants or documented refugees) and mental heal issues and I got to say there is a whole other world of issues going on in this city that most people are not aware of. I only know this from my experiences over a decade ago. If you look close enough and venture in to some of the less exciting areas of the city you can notice these things.

I have never really worked with children in Toronto, but have outside of Ontario and can say with confidence it is possible for children not to be getting adequate nutrition due to food insecurity issues even in this country and in this city especially if neglect is involved. Most countries and cities have the resources to feed the population, but how the resources are distributed is the issue. I saw the cost of the school's snack and breakfast program and it is actually really cheap (ex like $5 to $10 a month). I personally realize I take forgranted this issue because I have access to way more food then I would ever eat, but can not go around handing out food to people randomly (ex I got a feild full of vegetables in my backyard that I have no idea what the heck to do with).

There is also pride involved in this issue. I remember being at the food bank volunterring and one of the ladies that worked there was telling me that at times they even have people that work using the food banks because they had to choose between paying rent and having no where to live or buying food. Also in reality anyone can loose their job, use up all of their unemployment insurance and still not have work. This technically can happen to anyone.

Old 10-02-2015, 02:03 PM

Default Stats ... not always as helpful as you think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
I'm guessing that how "common" it is, would depend upon the neighbourhood, the community, and the school. Anecdotal stories don't add up to the same quality of information you'd get from objective research studies.
I do understand the importance of satistic, but numerical stats just help indicate possible trends. People without money and unable to tap in to social services are likely not accounted for in most statistics. Many situations can go unnoticed until nosey people like me start asking questions. What is the driving force behind the collection of most statisic ... money. If you have no money there are not as many people interested in doing research regarding your concerns and adovacting for your concerns to be addressed. Also if you were really marganilized how would you be found to be counted in statistic you may not have an address, phone number, e-mail address and likely do not pay taxes or use your social insurance number. Poeple can fall out of the system and become like living ghosts in our city. Look at all those people you see sleeping on the pavement or in parks sprinkled throughout the city.

Old 10-03-2015, 05:59 AM

3,423 posts, read 4,367,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I do understand the importance of satistic, but numerical stats just help indicate possible trends. People without money and unable to tap in to social services are likely not accounted for in most statistics. Many situations can go unnoticed until nosey people like me start asking questions. What is the driving force behind the collection of most statisic ... money. If you have no money there are not as many people interested in doing research regarding your concerns and adovacting for your concerns to be addressed. Also if you were really marganilized how would you be found to be counted in statistic you may not have an address, phone number, e-mail address and likely do not pay taxes or use your social insurance number. Poeple can fall out of the system and become like living ghosts in our city. Look at all those people you see sleeping on the pavement or in parks sprinkled throughout the city.
The statistics are required by organizations applying for funding to justify their existence. That would indicate that most statistics on the topic would be accurate and reliable, no?

It might be tempting to believe that there's a mysterious, enormous, "invisible" problem in the city... but I'm inclined to believe that the needs of most people who are food "insecure" have been identified by many organizations that are assisting them and addressing the issue already.

Toronto doesn't have a huge invisible underclass of people starving in hidden dark corners. I've done charity work for those people that you see sleeping rough on the street. Most of them are in contact with several agencies that provide them with food, medical care, clothing, and shelter when the weather's too cold for them to continue choosing to sleep on the sidewalk.

I would go so far as to say almost no one falls "out of the system"... almost everyone who lives on the street ends up entering a system, the charitable system. Charities keep databases, statistics, etc. too. Most people on the street are making consistent use of several charities at the same time. It's a system for sure.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:28 AM

I finally got around to talking to that teacher. The issue was more food insecurity and neglect. I think despite what some of the other posters are trying to brush under the rug Toronto as well as many other wealthy major cities does have people that live in the city with food insecurity issues. Even people with jobs! I have also talked to some of these people that do work for these organizations recently and they confirmed my thoughts about the statistics underestimating the actual needs because some people are too embarrassed to ask for help and lack the knowledge of how to access these services. So the answer to my own post DOES appear to be yes there are children in our rich city that do not get enough to eat and food insecurity in our city does still exist even though it might not be right in our face. Sorry if I dispelled any delusions any of us had.

If you think I am being melodramatic contact the following organizations to ask yourself...

Daily Bread Food Bank | Leading the fight against hunger in Toronto.

There is even a blog about this ...

Toronto Soup Kitchens and Food Banks

Old 11-27-2015, 06:43 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,451,713 times
Could I suggest that the adult who gave birth to the hungry child has a moral and legal obligation to provide food to it. If you can't provide adequate food, DO NOT have children. What a concept.......!

Birth control is way cheaper than feeding a child every day.

Jim B.

Old 11-27-2015, 06:51 AM

5,897 posts, read 6,100,195 times
Sometimes the parents were able to provide adequate food when the child was born but then circumstances changed.

Old 11-27-2015, 12:19 PM

Default A little out of touch ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Could I suggest that the adult who gave birth to the hungry child has a moral and legal obligation to provide food to it. If you can't provide adequate food, DO NOT have children. What a concept.......!

Birth control is way cheaper than feeding a child every day.

Jim B.
You do realize that your comment a little out of touch with reality regardless of the era or world location rihgt? Giving logical advice to someone who has little logic is not really going to fix the situation completely. Also regardless sometimes everything is going right, until every spirals out of control. Not everyone has a perfect life and circumstances. Using a blaming attitude really does not help anyone. It take a village. This selfish attitude that it is their problem not my problem that some people try to present regarding poverty really gets on my nerves. ANYONE can fall in to this situation and no one is truly immune to risks for poverty. All it takes is a job loss and a deteiroation in physical or mental health and someone can easily slide in to poverty and food unsecurity. If you do not understand this you need to open your eyes. I challenge anyone who thinks like this to volunteer a few times at a food bank or soup kitchen and get a opportunity to talk face to face with some of the clients they service. I think a society is only as good as its ability to pull up its most voulunerable members from the gutter if they slip and fall.

I am really really thankful that in both high school and university I got opportunies to see poverty in our city in its rawest forms. It was not only an opportunity to gain some compassion, but also a remember that I or anyone else could end up in a similar situations with some bad luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto