Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 08:45 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,410,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
You make some solid suggestions on photography though, much appreciated. I'm also looking for those blocks where you see the quaint Edwardian row homes with the gabled roofs. What's the quintessential block in town to get a shot of those? It looks like Dundas Square is sort of where the critical mass of Toronto is at its peak, no? That might make for some interesting photography as well. And I'm putting good thoughts into the universe that it will be an immaculate 80 degree clear day.
Gosh, let's see.

Well, "The Grange," behind the AGO, certainly offers something Edwardian. It's a standalone house in the Edwardian style, and now pretty much a museum that belongs to the AGO. It backs (or fronts--I forget which) onto a park, so you can get some nice long shots, as well as close-ups.

Not too far east from Dundas Square is Bond Street, which is where you'll find "Mackenzie House," at 82 Bond Street. It is a historic property, and the rest of the city has grown around it sadly, but it is a nice example of a typical London row house in a place like Toronto.

The east side of John Street is, as mentioned earlier, a bunch of pubs and bistros. But they are all made out of old houses, from the late-19th/early-20th century. Interesting architecture.

You might try a walk up and down streets like Beverly, Sullivan, Grange, Phoebe, and Huron. That neighbourhood might yield some interesting architecture, of the kind you're looking for. And as I recall, Clarence Square (on Spadina, west end of Wellington), was a typical London-type square: a park in the middle, surrounded by row houses. But it's been years since I was last in Clarence Square, so you might want to check on that.

I will put in a recommendation for the Annex neighbourhood for Victorian architecture. Streets like Walmer, Kendal, Madison, and Brunswick, between Bloor and Dupont, might yield some interesting photos.

Fusion? Little help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 08:54 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
You know what Desert - as per Chevy's suggestion - a walk around the U of T campus and taking in the neogothic architecture would put you very close to the ROM and the Annex nabe..

The Annex has some outstanding Edwardian and Victorian residential architecture on many of the streets running perpendicular to the main arterial through the hood Bloor Street! Here is a link to the Annex.. I think you are referring to the Bay and Gable style Victorian which is uniquely Torontonian.. I think the Annex/Uof T combo would give you some excellent photography of the older architecture in the city.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Annex

This above puts you in the northwest quadrant of the DT core (the Annex is a bit west of the core but not that far) but worth a half a day perhaps the afternoon after you explore the southeast quadrant which has the Distillery and St Lawrence market
so you could start the day in the Distillery as you mentioned, you will have some outstanding examples of beautifully restored Industrial Victorian architecture.. At one point in the 1800's it was the largest distillery in the world. This also puts you relatively close to St Lawrence Market so start your day at the Distillery - grab that coffee from Balzac's.. Head west to St Lawrence - grab that Peameal bacon sandwhich.. I'd also recommend walking a bit further west along front St to the Gooderham Building - Toronto's smaller version of a flatiron

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distillery_District
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gooderham_Building

To provide some further perspective - the Gay villiage would be in the Northeast quadrant of the DT core (leave this for nightlife!).. The centre of the core would be around Dundas square - Dundas/Yonge and yes - in terms of ped vibrancy I would say yonge dundas would be the most intense spot in the city.. As I mentioned some interesting characters there.. Worth a walk through and in the summer on a weekend night almost always free concerts.. Indeed in the summer it is the focal point of most large scale festivals in the city. This part of the core is also close to Nathan Phillips Square and this - Toronto's Old City Hall - imo the most beautiful building in the city.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=toron...IVyVk-Ch2q8gZQ

Finally - The CN Tower for that Edgewalk experience would be in the Southwest quadrant of the core. Just to provide some perspective.. It would be A LOT of walking but entirely doable in two days and most accessible by the subway system..

Last edited by fusion2; 10-03-2015 at 09:07 PM..

Old 10-03-2015, 10:19 PM

5,896 posts, read 6,100,195 times
I'm assuming this is what you're referring to when you're talking about the homes with the gable roofs?
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.65786...8i6656!6m1!1e1
They're actually more Victorian than Edwardian. I'm not sure there's that many of that exact style in The Annex. The Annex does have very nice historic homes no doubt, so imo equally worthy to check out, but they're often bigger, grander looking homes.

For the Victorian "bay and gable" homes, the streets between Bloor and College, Bathurst and Spadina are a good place to look, ex Brunswick, Major, Borden. You can also find some a bit further west. Ex
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.65664...7i13312!8i6656

Cabbagetown has some too, that's about a 10min walk east of the Gay Village. Cabbagetown also has a variety of other Victorian style homes.

Mostly though, the Bay and Gable homes are scattered around throughout the edges of downtown, there isn't any particular street or neighbourhood where all of them are located, and they're scattered among other styles of Victorian homes and sometimes some newer buildings too.

If you did in fact mean Edwardian homes, those typically don't have gable roofs (except maybe a few fancy mansions in The Annex and Rosedale?). Typical Toronto Edwardian homes would look like this (both the homes with and without the bay windows)
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.66079...8i6656!6m1!1e1
The greatest concentrations of Edwardians are 2-4 miles from downtown, although you can find a few scattered among the Victorians closer to downtown.

As for the center of the bustle, I'd agree with Dundas Square. In the evenings, I would say Dundas Square and Yonge from Dundas Square to Bloor is the most bustling part of the city and that's also where all the flashy signage is. Queen West probably comes in second place.

During the morning and evening rushes though, the mass flows of office workers in the financial district heading up and down Bay towards Union Station are even busier. Around mid-day and lunch breaks, I'm not sure, Yonge, King, Queen W, the Financial District, Spadina/Chinatown, U of T, Bercy Square and even York Quay if the weather is nice, can all be pretty busy.

Old 10-03-2015, 10:31 PM

There are actually Bay and Gable Vics in the Annex but the areas you mention will also provide more extensive examples of just that type.. Certainly can't go wrong in the Annex.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bay-and-gable

Old 10-03-2015, 10:33 PM

5,896 posts, read 6,100,195 times
I actually like Tommy Thompson Park quite a lot for a skyline view of Toronto, since you can take in the E-W extent of the skyline along the waterfront, and the N-S extent along Yonge, all in one shot. However, the best views are from the end of the peninsula, which involves a pretty long bike ride from downtown (1 hour?) and it's only open on weekends 9am-6pm so probably not worth it in your case.

The Toronto Islands is a good spot for pictures though, same with Riverdale Park. If you do go to Cabbagetown, there's a pedestrian bridge across the Don River and highway that takes you to Riverdale Park, or you can just get there by subway to Broadview Station and/or by streetcar.

BTW what about using bikeshare to explore a little? I personally love exploring Toronto by bike, but I have my own so I haven't used the bike share and don't really know what it's like, but I see a fair bit of others using it.

Old 10-03-2015, 10:42 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,819,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
I'm assuming this is what you're referring to when you're talking about the homes with the gable roofs?
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.65786...8i6656!6m1!1e1.
Yes yes yes! That is the photo shot I was looking for. If I just get a few shots of these bay and gables, I can go home content. I mistook Edwardian, though I knew it was somewhere in the context of Toronto architecture. Ok so I figure many of these residential streets off College Street will put me in the thick of the bay and gables. Check!

Great suggestions by all. Now I have to wait out 10 more months. Cape Cod, Newfoundland, and Toronto, this is a gonna be fabulous trip.

Old 10-03-2015, 10:47 PM

Let us know if its worth a second trip Desert...

btw best martini's/cocktails in the villiage.. Byzantium!

Byzantium - Home

Old 10-03-2015, 11:25 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,410,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
.... This part of the core is also close to Nathan Phillips Square and this - Toronto's Old City Hall - imo the most beautiful building in the city.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, Fusion. For me, the most beautiful building would be Hart House, on the U of T campus.

Desert, Hart House has a clock tower. The base of the tower is a pedestrian thoroughfare. In it, and just beside it, are the names of all U of T students and faculty who served in World Wars I and II. If you are very lucky, you will arrive on a day when the little museum above the arch is open--beautiful stained-glass windows, with the story of WWI in pictures, look down into the museum. Hart House itself is a beautiful building, even from the inside (go in--it is open to the students and the public). JFK debated there as a US senator, and his photo during the debate still hangs on the wall of the Debates Room on the second floor. The Great Hall, where I ate any number of meals as an undergrad, rivals anything you've seen in the Harry Potter movies.

Not to say that Old City Hall is not beautiful. I like how its architect (Lennox?) had the stonemasons carve the faces of the city councillors of the day into ugly gargoyles on the building, after they refused to pay his bill.

There are a lot of funny little surprises like that around town, Desert. The stock exchange facade on Bay Street is a wonderful art deco carving, but watch for the capitalist in top hat and tails, reaching for the worker's pocket. Commerce Court North, on King Street, has been eclipsed in height many times--but look up, wayyyyy up (Canadians will know what I mean )--and you will see sixteen stone faces, four a side, carved into the stone at the top. Looked at from a certain angle, Robarts Library at U of T looks like a concrete, brutalist-style, turkey.

Just a thought--if you're into cemeteries, St. James, at Parliament and Bloor, offers Egyptian-style, as well as classical mausoleums, much like Highgate in London. It is not too far from the Gay Village, so it might be a stop for some photos before you head out for some fun in the Village.

Just some more thoughts and observations. Have a great time!

Old 10-03-2015, 11:33 PM

Wow Chevy its all the little details you provide.. You're definitely a T.O boy through and through.. I've walked by places you've described dozens of times but would never have had a clue about the history behind these places and just all these details!

As for Old City Hall - I'll stick by my favourite - she's just too grand not to be imo but hey - what's not to love about Hart House and Gothic Revival

You're right Old City Hall's architect was E.J Lennox

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._J._Lennox

We didn't bring up Caso Loma into this - its discussions like this initiated by people like Desert who actually want to see the city instead of just token attractions that make me realize how much there really is to see here. Its so much more interesting than CN Tower, Roger's Centre, ROM (even though I love ROM), Eaton Centre and Hockey hall of Fame etc just to walk around and explore the various nabe's, streetscapes and various architectural styles in the city.

Old 10-03-2015, 11:46 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,725,072 times
Wow. Nothing too much more to add. I think fusion2 and ChevySpoons hit all the top picks for a short visit. Don't forget to check out Toronto Entertainment News City of Toronto Downtown Events Toronto Star for events going on during the days you will be here. There are many other really interesting events that go on during the year that are really worth checking out that are unique to this city. Hope you have a great time !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto