Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 05:47 PM

10,721 posts, read 23,633,386 times

Advertisements

My first trip to Toronto, it's going to be a 48 hour Bourdain like stint. This will be after four days in Newfoundland in August. I want to get some urban stimulation on the way back and break up the long flight from the Rock out to New Mexico. I'll be staying at a hotel on King Street near University. I'm fishing for ideas. I've pretty much pin pointed where the shopping is, looks easy to find there (based on Google street mapping). I figure if the weather is good I'll ferry out to the islands as I'm a hobby photographer and that looks like the place to get the best shots of the city. If its rainy or what not, I'll take in the AGO and ROM. Then there is whatever else fits in. I like walking down vibrant blocks, and I'm open to trying food that I haven't tried before. Any suggestions on what could be packed into 48 hour layover and take home some good memories from Toronto?

With airfare, I have the option of laying over in Montreal, Halifax, or Toronto. Inner voice is telling me go with Toronto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 06:10 PM

15,109 posts, read 15,717,413 times
So its me again lol...

I would do the ROM and AGO if you're into Museums and Art Museums.. AGO is more focussed on art and sculptures and the ROM is a full fledged History/Natural history museum.. You can easily get more information by simply google searching each but take into account doing both can easily eat up a full day!

The islands are definitely a sanctuary away from the city and you can get some great shots of the city from there.. Another good spot is riverdale on broadview ave between Gerrard and Bloor/Danforth. This will put you close to the Danforth which is our Greektown.

If you have time, the usual places that tourists like is Kensington Market.. Its not a market per se but a neighbourhood and considered the Bohemian hood in Toronto with awesome shopping and restaurants (Bourdain went to some resto's there on his trip). Queen Street West would be your best bet for shopping for unique goods/items and its also got great pubs, music venues, cafe's and restaurants. Also look up the Distillery District as it has the largest collection of Victorian industrial architecture in our hemisphere and is also a good place for gastropubs/craft beers and shopping as well.. If you like Coffee and you're there Go to Balzac's and if you're a chocolate lover - Soma Chocalatemaker will put you in heaven!! St Lawrence Market is worth a whirl and you can get the infamous - well for Toronto Peameal Bacon sandwich - again Bourdain approved lol.. Its a large indoor food market - the main building is over 150 years old. Again a google search will get ya more info..

What else - well honestly for two days the above would more than fill your time and you probably won't be able to fit everything in but you can google search and pick what you want the most. CN Tower is well a pricey option but it is cool as an observation point and you'd get some great snaps of the city from there and get an appreciation for the size of the Greater Toronto Area. There is an aquarium at the base of the tower but an aquarium is an aquarium though its one of the better one's imo..

Of course if you can check out the Church/Wellesley villiage!! Its one of the larger gay villages in N.A and you have to at least take a quick gander being a sister lol.. The Buddies in Bad Times theatre is a unique venue and there are local gay theatre productions playing in that facility. If you go to one bar in the village (not club) but bar you'll have to check out Woody's - the QAF place - Crews and Tango's good for drag shows, full take your shirt off nightclub would be Fly (again featured in QAF) and more naughty options PM me

Last edited by fusion2; 10-03-2015 at 06:20 PM..

Old 10-03-2015, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
So its me again lol...

I would do the ROM and AGO if you're into Museums and Art Museums.. AGO is more focussed on art and sculptures and the ROM is a full fledged History/Natural history museum.. You can easily get more information by simply google searching each but take into account doing both can easily eat up a full day!
Yeah I figure museums will of highest priority if it rains. Even if the sun's out, I'd be inclined to seeing AGO. I lean more towards art museums and seeing unusual things.

Quote:
So its me again lol...
If you have time, the usual places that tourists like is Kensington Market.. Its not a market per se but a neighbourhood and considered the Bohemian hood in Toronto with awesome shopping and restaurants (Bourdain went to some resto's there on his trip). Queen Street West would be your best bet for shopping for unique goods/items and its also got great pubs, music venues, cafe's and restaurants. Also look up the Distillery District as it has the largest collection of Victorian industrial architecture in our hemisphere and is also a good place for gastropubs/craft beers and shopping as well.. If you like Coffee and you're there Go to Balzac's and if you're a chocolate lover - Soma Chocalatemaker will put you in heaven!! St Lawrence Market is worth a whirl and you can get the infamous - well for Toronto Peameal Bacon sandwich - again Bourdain approved lol.. Its a large indoor food market - the main building is over 150 years old. Again a google search will get ya more info..
You had me at bacon sandwich. I was figuring on stopping by the Distillery District in the morning for coffee and then peruse around the St Lawrence Market for something to eat after that. It sounds like if I skipped all of the other mentioned attractions I could simply spend the whole 48 others just eating and drinking my way around Toronto; which would probably be a lot fun! Good thing I gave myself a day off to come back before work so I can nurse that hangover off, jeesh!

Quote:
What else - well honestly for two days the above would more than fill your time and you probably won't be able to fit everything in but you can google search and pick what you want the most. CN Tower is well a pricey option but it is cool as an observation point and you'd get some great snaps of the city from there and get an appreciation for the size of the Greater Toronto Area. There is an aquarium at the base of the tower but an aquarium is an aquarium though its one of the better one's imo..
I think I'll skip the aquarium and do a whale watch with an old salt Newfie driving a boat while I'm up at the Rock. My man wants to do that harness walk around the observation deck of the CN tower. He's on his own there, that would make me jump out of my own skin. Of course I'll ride the elevator up with him for moral support.

Quote:
Of course if you can check out the Church/Wellesley villiage!!
Duh!
Quote:
Its one of the larger gay villages in N.A and you have to at least take a quick gander being a sister lol.. The Buddies in Bad Times theatre is a unique venue and there are local gay theatre productions playing in that facility. If you go to one bar in the village (not club) but bar you'll have to check out Woody's - the QAF place - Crews and Tango's good for drag shows, full take your shirt off nightclub would be Fly (again featured in QAF) and more naughty options PM me
We're both in our late 30's so we'd probably more inclined to the lounge/bar scene where you can have conversation and hear eachother talk. Would probably make a stop at Woody's for a selfie. I'll definitely make a google search on the theater, that would be something different and memorable.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:36 PM

3,594 posts, read 3,333,940 times
No, Fusion, I'm here too.

Desert, I agree with Fusion that you've got a lot packed into a brief time. I'd almost suggest that you cut back a bit--the ROM and AGO can each take up a full day. But as you point out, one option for a rainy day, and one for nice weather.

Where you're staying is a good location to walk to a lot of things from. Walk west on King to John Street, which is lined with all kinds of pubs and eateries. For shopping, head north on Bay or Yonge Streets to the Eaton Centre. Or simply walk north on University to Queen and walk east, past Osgoode Hall--note the funny gates--New City Hall, and Old City Hall. For ferries to the Island, walk south on Bay--you cannot miss the docks. For further trips (e.g. the museums), you are very close to St. Andrew subway stop: take a northbound University train to Museum station, and you will be right outside the ROM. Another northbound University train to St. Patrick station, then a short walk west (or a couple of streetcar stops, if you want to try riding a streetcar) to McCaul, will take you to the AGO.

You might also like a walk through the University of Toronto campus, just west of the ROM. Many beautiful old stone buildings there, and many great photography opportunities, if you like photographing architecture.

If you're a beer drinker, you might enjoy a pint of "Apiary Ale." It is available in only one place that I know of--the Library Bar of the Royal York Hotel. What makes it special is that it is made from the honey that the hotel gets from the beehives on its roof. (They also have vegetable gardens up there, to supply the hotel's restaurants with fresh produce in season.) I always try to find time for a pint or two when I'm in town--in addition to enjoying a fine beer, I find that the Library is a nice, quiet place to get away from what can be a very hectic area, especially during rush hour.

Have a great time, and let us know how your visit went!

Old 10-03-2015, 07:49 PM

uggh Chevy - Shopping at the Eaton Centre lol.. Its so well common.. Zara, Sephora, Old Navy, H&M.. QSW is WAY better for a unique shopping experience so QSW west of uni is as much a must for me as Queen east of it lol.. I agree Kensington is a bit out of the way but its a real Toronto nabe instead of a DT one lol..

As for Royal York I digress I haven't had beer there but I was pointing Desert to the Villiage because well - you know he has a partner Chevy and a gay couple can't miss the villiage while in Toronto -

U of T campus good call though! Great neogothic architecture and close to the ROM/Yorkville/Annex.. Also agreed, for a photographer can't miss the Old/New City Hall at Nathan Phillips Square.. Should add Dundas Square just because its busy and there are some interesting characters there.

So many places to see so little time.. Desert will have choices to make

Last edited by fusion2; 10-03-2015 at 08:26 PM..

Old 10-03-2015, 08:25 PM

Quote:
uggh Chevy - Shopping at the Eaton Centre lol.. Its so well common.. Zara, Sephora, Old Navy, H&M.. QSW is WAY better for a unique shopping experience so QSW west of uni is as much a must for me as Queen east of it lol.. I agree Kensington is a bit out of the way but its a real Toronto nabe instead of a DT one lol..

As for Royal York I digress I haven't had beer there....
Oh, I know the Eaton Centre is way overhyped, and contains nothing really special or unique. I just mention it, because of lot of my business associates who were in on business from out-of-town wanted to go there.

Well, maybe for a photographer, there is one interesting thing Eaton Centre can offer: the Church of the Holy Trinity, in Trinity Square (just kitty-corner from the northeast corner of Old City Hall).

As for the Royal York, I'm not suggesting one make a night of it. But it can make for a nice little break in the late afternoon when the commuters start running across Front Street to get to Union--I've ducked in before, to avoid getting swept onto, say, a Stouffville train by the tide. Well, I'm exaggerating, but only a little. And, IMHO, that beer is gooood!

Old 10-03-2015, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Oh, I know the Eaton Centre is way overhyped, and contains nothing really special or unique. I just mention it, because of lot of my business associates who were in on business from out-of-town wanted to go there.

Well, maybe for a photographer, there is one interesting thing Eaton Centre can offer: the Church of the Holy Trinity, in Trinity Square (just kitty-corner from the northeast corner of Old City Hall).

As for the Royal York, I'm not suggesting one make a night of it. But it can make for a nice little break in the late afternoon when the commuters start running across Front Street to get to Union--I've ducked in before, to avoid getting swept onto, say, a Stouffville train by the tide. Well, I'm exaggerating, but only a little. And, IMHO, that beer is gooood!
You know I've never had a beer at the Royal York... I must try this beer my friend! I did actually know that the Royal York has their own beehives - When Dustin Hoffman stays in T.O he always goes there and he insists on a supply of it in his room!

As for the Eaton Centre - its worth a quick gander and is impressive in terms of being this 300 plus shopping centre in the middle of DT - but for unique shopping one will be very disappointed vs say Yorkville (pricey) or the bohemian vibe and independent shops of QSW..

Old 10-03-2015, 09:07 PM

Quote:
You know I've never had a beer at the Royal York... I must try this beer my friend! I did actually know that the Royal York has their own beehives - When Dustin Hoffman stays in T.O he always goes there and he insists on a supply of it in his room!
"Ten minutes to Wapner ... ten minutes to Wapner ... ten minutes to Wapner ... hello, room service?"

Quote:
As for the Eaton Centre - its worth a quick gander and is impressive in terms of being this 300 plus shopping centre in the middle of DT - but for unique shopping one will be very disappointed vs say Yorkville (pricey) or the bohemian vibe and independent shops of QSW..
Oh, of course. I could never understand why my business associates wanted to go there--it's nothing more than a mall. But they did, so I pointed them there.

Many years ago, I dated a girl who lived in a top-floor walkup room in a beautiful old Victorian in the Annex. We spent a lot of time browsing Bloor Street West, QSW, and so on. Most of the places I'd remember are probably gone (it was thirty years ago, after all), but I am sure there are just as many, and just as fun, eating, shopping, and entertainment opportunities as she and I found those days.

Y'know, I recall one night with her at the Bam Boo Club on Queen near Spadina ... ah, but that's another story for another time.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Oh, I know the Eaton Centre is way overhyped, and contains nothing really special or unique. I just mention it, because of lot of my business associates who were in on business from out-of-town wanted to go there.gooood!
All leisure and fun on this trip, business has been suspended for 48 hours. Definitely more leaning towards the more unique side of things. I get my fill of malls in Denver and Phoenix. When one lives in Albuquerque and you go to the mall in Scottsdale, AZ it's sort of an ooohhh ahhhhh moment. But in Toronto, not so much. Those cathedrals of commerce are definitely made for business travelers though for sure.

You make some solid suggestions on photography though, much appreciated. I'm also looking for those blocks where you see the quaint Edwardian row homes with the gabled roofs. What's the quintessential block in town to get a shot of those? It looks like Dundas Square is sort of where the critical mass of Toronto is at its peak, no? That might make for some interesting photography as well. And I'm putting good thoughts into the universe that it will be an immaculate 80 degree clear day.

I'll look into your beer suggestions, though I almost feel like I might fall into a trap of eating and drinking around Toronto for the whole duration. If that's how fate would have it, so be it. Choices, choices. I'm thinking a good start to the day would be Distillery District and St. Lawrence Market. And since it will be a remarkably beautiful day when I'm there I'll then ferry out to the islands.

Then back to the hotel in the afternoon, disco nap if necessary (are you following me fusion?), wonder around same nabes, leave a little room for spontaneity, get some more photo shots in, stop for a beer, get dinner, and head out to the gay district for nightlife. Then I can shoulder in some good meals on the days I fly in and fly out and maybe shop. I love the food and bar suggestions, I think this is where Toronto will probably shine for me.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:41 PM

Quote:
So many places to see so little time.. Desert will have choices to make
Damn it! Yeah I figured. See when I lived just outside of Boston I use to make a lot of trips to Eastern Canada, been to Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec City (<LOVE), and my dad took me up to New Brunswick as a kid. Toronto was on and off the bucket list. In Boston, Toronto seemed too close to fly, too far to drive. I was going to get up to BC last summer but plans changed and I spent more time back in Cape Cod. I had also been up to BC a number of times when I lived in Seattle. I'd really like to get back to Tofino again sometime.

Anyway, I need to head north for summer desert escapes, and as I mentioned back in the Albuquerque thread, oh wait... I mean Ottawa thread. I can incorporate trips to Eastern Canada pretty well with my trips back home. I also don't feel four days on the Rock will be enough time, so I'll probably be spending the majority of the trip around St. John's and hiking up and down the East Coast Trail. Will probably want to go back again to see Gros Morne and other parts of the island. Biking around PEI would be a nice summer escape from the desert as well.

But I like the way this layover is starting to shape up. I'll probably be back for more on future trips to the East Coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto