Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 05:13 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Its not that much of a spread between temps in Toronto and Vancouver in the spring. After 21MAR its only a 2 degree difference in daytime highs between the two in favour of Vancouver

https://weatherspark.com/averages/27...olumbia-Canada
https://weatherspark.com/averages/28...Ontario-Canada

A big but in April though in Toronto actually its better!

https://weatherspark.com/averages/28...olumbia-Canada
https://weatherspark.com/averages/28...Ontario-Canada

People are equating one colder than normal spring in 2016 with how weather is in spring over time in Toronto.. They are focusing an an outlier instead of historical averages.

Obviously winter is better in Vancouver but I don't see how that argument can be made for spring at all.
The biggest difference in Toronto and Vancouver most of the year is the volatility in the weather. That's why you can get snow in April in Toronto but not here with close to the same averages as Vancouver. Some people like that but I think it's a big negative in Toronto's favour.
Weather here is more consistent season to season and year to year. Summers are also much more stable here with virtually no thunderstorms. I imagine Toronto has to delay or make alternate arrangements for festivals and events much more often than they do here.

Last edited by deneb78; 04-28-2016 at 05:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 05:32 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
The biggest difference in Toronto and Vancouver most of the year is the volatility in the weather. That's why you can get snow in April in Toronto but not here with close to the same averages as Vancouver. Some people like that but I think it's a big negative in Toronto's favour.
Weather here is more consistent season to season and year to year. Summers are also much more stable here with virtually no convective thunderstorms in summer. I imagine Toronto has to delay or make alternate arrangements for festivals and events much more often than they do here.
Sure you can get snow in April or a thunderstorm in Toronto in July lol.. We are talking about here and there and not reflective of most of the time. Most festivals in the city are never if ever cancelled due to weather. Actually, last year in June Pride in T.O still was strong during heavy rains and more people still came out to watch than your little cute baby pride in the best of weather in Vancouver - wait do you guys even get sunny days in YVR outside July and Aug?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95lVxVLyv68

Anyway, pros and cons aside for each city weather wise - I simply think what works in T.O's favour over Vancouver is it is undeniably a bigger, more urban and more amenity rich metropolis. Mountains can only do so much.. We all have our preferences but I just can't imagine preferring living in Vancouver over Toronto aside for a few months of winter.. 8 or 9 months of the year I'll take Toronto all day every day even if in those 8 or 9 months there is an occasional unpredictable weather event - big deal! I love listening to Thunder and watching Lightning. You should go to Bangkok - they have UNBELIEVABLE Thunderstorms!!!

Last edited by fusion2; 04-28-2016 at 05:53 PM..

Old 04-28-2016, 06:45 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,725,072 times
Default lol ...

Quote:
Weather here is more consistent season to season and year to year. Summers are also much more stable here with virtually no thunderstorms. I imagine Toronto has to delay or make alternate arrangements for festivals and events much more often than they do here.
Sometimes you need some unpredictabilty to spice things up. As much as lightening scared the heck out of me... it is also really beautiful and exciting. It also sends a bit of a reminder to people that we got to be adjustable and flexible to our situations. It keeps us Toronto folks on our feet. I have literally been walking and the weather app on my phone says clear skys and it is raining. Stuff happens ... you got to learn to go with the flow ! In short that is why when ever applying for a job in Vancouver I am going to pitch the hell out of that last comment.

Ex... I come from Toronto, a city with highly unpredictable weather. Through living in this type of climate I have developed the ability to adapt to any unpredictable situation without breaking a sweat and maintaining my composure because rain, sun or snow the show must go on !

Old 04-28-2016, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Sure you can get snow in April or a thunderstorm in Toronto in July lol.. We are talking about here and there and not reflective of most of the time. Most festivals in the city are never if ever cancelled due to weather. Actually, last year in June Pride in T.O still was strong during heavy rains and more people still came out to watch than your little cute baby pride in the best of weather in Vancouver - wait do you guys even get sunny days in YVR outside July and Aug?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95lVxVLyv68

Anyway, pros and cons aside for each city weather wise - I simply think what works in T.O's favour over Vancouver is it is undeniably a bigger, more urban and more amenity rich metropolis. Mountains can only do so much.. We all have our preferences but I just can't imagine preferring living in Vancouver over Toronto aside for a few months of winter.. 8 or 9 months of the year I'll take Toronto all day every day even if in those 8 or 9 months there is an occasional unpredictable weather event - big deal! I love listening to Thunder and watching Lightning. You should go to Bangkok - they have UNBELIEVABLE Thunderstorms!!!
Each to their own I guess. Of course if being in a much larger city is much more important than weather then Toronto is much better than Vancouver. We do of course get sunny warm days outside of July/August. As Natnasci said, it hit 27C away from the water here a couple of weeks ago with not a cloud in the sky.
I don't mind lightning in the tropics in places like Bangkok as it seems to happen roughly around the same time every day usually so there is some kind of rhythm unlike Toronto where it seems much more unpredictable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Sometimes you need some unpredictabilty to spice things up. As much as lightening scared the heck out of me... it is also really beautiful and exciting. It also sends a bit of a reminder to people that we got to be adjustable and flexible to our situations. It keeps us Toronto folks on our feet. I have literally been walking and the weather app on my phone says clear skys and it is raining. Stuff happens ... you got to learn to go with the flow ! In short that is why when ever applying for a job in Vancouver I am going to pitch the hell out of that last comment.

ex... I come from Toronto, a city with highly unpredictable weather. Through living in this type of climate I have developed the ability to adapt to any unpredictable situation without breaking a sweat and maintaining my composure because rain, sun or snow the show must go on !
I don't think you'll get very far with that attitude here in Vancouver applying for jobs. People here in general are tired of Toronto transplants who either brag about how much better Toronto is and/or complain about how things here are not like Toronto.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:11 PM

Default No need to worry ...

Quote:
Each to their own I guess. Of course if being in a much larger city is much more important than weather then Toronto is much better than Vancouver. We do of course get sunny warm days outside of July/August. As Natnasci said, it hit 27C away from the water here a couple of weeks ago with not a cloud in the sky.
I don't mind lightning in the tropics in places like Bangkok as it seems to happen roughly around the same time every day usually so there is some kind of rhythm unlike Toronto where it seems much more unpredictable.

I don't think you'll get very far with that attitude here in Vancouver applying for jobs. People here in general are tired of Toronto transplants who either brag about how much better Toronto is and/or complain about how things here are not like Toronto.
No need to worry about that because honestly I have no interest in moving to Vancouver and I could die without seeing it and be okay with that. It has never been on my radar. However, if I got a free flight ... I would certainly be willing to go. This is the thing about Canada .... Pretty big. If I am going to pay that price and sit on a plane for that long there better be Palm trees and beach when I wake up.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
No need to worry about that because honestly I have no interest in moving to Vancouver and I could die without seeing it and be okay with that. It has never been on my radar. However, if I got a free flight ... I would certainly be willing to go. This is the thing about Canada .... Pretty big. If I am going to pay that price and sit on a plane for that long there better be Palm trees and beach when I wake up.
Oh but there are palm trees and beaches in Vancouver. Check out this blog:
Parallel 49 Palms and Exotics: English Bay, Vancouver

Old 04-28-2016, 10:27 PM

Default What the heck lol

Quote:
Oh but there are palm trees and beaches in Vancouver. Check out this blog:
Parallel 49 Palms and Exotics: English Bay, Vancouver

Seriously surprised. There just way too much stuff to see and do in one life time. Vancouver just bumped up my list a bit

Old 04-28-2016, 10:30 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Quote:
I think you're exaggerating the unpredictability of weather in Toronto. By and large people get used to the weather of the place they live. I can say I don't enjoy winter as much as summer but still, after living in it for 40 years I've come to not only accept it but to also enjoy the variety. That isn't to say I wouldn't have a preference for milder winters but i'm sure not going to pack up and leave because of it on its own.

Trying to sell me on living in a place like Vancouver is a fruitless endeavour. Its a city about 2.5 times smaller than Toronto and just doesn't have the urban amenities that Toronto has. You can tell me about palm trees, the 'warmest' winter weather temps in Canada, more consistency of weather, mountains and the like and its like trying to sell swamp land in Florida. It would be like trying to convince me i'd like San Diego.

I get it, you prefer the weather in Vancouver.. I really don't see much of an improvement over Toronto but for 4 months a year. For eight months well no! An occasional snowstorm in April or an occasional thunderstorm event in Toronto in the dead of summer isn't going to sway me to move to a city that is too small for my liking. I don't know if you've been to Toronto but if you haven't been you'd instantly see its a different beast than Vancouver and I doubt most Torontonians are foaming at the mouth to move from Toronto to Vancouver. Why is Toronto the largest city in the country and not Vancouver, clearly it offers more to more people even in spite of a cold winter. You could offer summer type weather in Vancouver in the winter and I still wouldn't move from Toronto to it regardless.. Vancouver is a fine city, but aside for a short visit here and there, its too small and too sleepy for me.

Last edited by fusion2; 04-28-2016 at 10:51 PM..

Old 04-28-2016, 11:44 PM

Quote:
I think you're exaggerating the unpredictability of weather in Toronto. By and large people get used to the weather of the place they live. I can say I don't enjoy winter as much as summer but still, after living in it for 40 years I've come to not only accept it but to also enjoy the variety. That isn't to say I wouldn't have a preference for milder winters but i'm sure not going to pack up and leave because of it on its own.

Trying to sell me on living in a place like Vancouver is a fruitless endeavour. Its a city about 2.5 times smaller than Toronto and just doesn't have the urban amenities that Toronto has. You can tell me about palm trees, the 'warmest' winter weather temps in Canada, more consistency of weather, mountains and the like and its like trying to sell swamp land in Florida. It would be like trying to convince me i'd like San Diego.

I get it, you prefer the weather in Vancouver.. I really don't see much of an improvement over Toronto but for 4 months a year. For eight months well no! An occasional snowstorm in April or an occasional thunderstorm event in Toronto in the dead of summer isn't going to sway me to move to a city that is too small for my liking. I don't know if you've been to Toronto but if you haven't been you'd instantly see its a different beast than Vancouver and I doubt most Torontonians are foaming at the mouth to move from Toronto to Vancouver. Why is Toronto the largest city in the country and not Vancouver, clearly it offers more to more people even in spite of a cold winter. You could offer summer type weather in Vancouver in the winter and I still wouldn't move from Toronto to it regardless.. Vancouver is a fine city, but aside for a short visit here and there, its too small and too sleepy for me.
Fair enough... I did say each to their own and I know Vancouver is not for you. I went to university in Ottawa and visited Toronto many times so I'm quite familiar with the weather in Ontario and it's definitely not for me... I'll take my mild rainy winters with palm trees

Old 04-29-2016, 07:12 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times
Quote:

I am not so enticed by Vancouver for exactly the same reason. Too small and too sleepy for me. I don't really mind the high real estate cost as a matter of fact - one can always choose to live in smaller space but the scale of the city and its economy can't be changed in a short period of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto