Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2015, 12:14 AM

13 posts, read 11,594 times

Advertisements

Hello my name is Kelly age 22 (male) . I'm a current student trying to obtain my bachelors degree in computer information which should take about a year and a semester if i push myself but I'm sick of the lackluster education Buffalo seems to have it took me 3 years to obtain a 2 year degree due to miss-communication and departments not having a base knowledge of how education runs within there own school . I would love a change of pace and lifestyle. I currently live in Buffalo New York a place where dreams die in my opinion. Its very hard to find jobs here even with a degree, and especially jobs for students because a lot of employers don't want to work with your hours or they want you to be full time. I should mention i have about 5,000 dollars saved up if i were to move to Toronto
and also an associates degree in liberal arts . My questions are as follows.

1.Is there a waiting period for financial aid is there finical aid available ?

2.Cost of living with apartment/food, phone bill lets say average 70 dollars internet with lights and gas Will 800 to 1,500 dollars a month cover that ?

3. For students is it easy to find a job that wont suck ! (retail, Mc Donalds etc etc )

4. I'm currently a pharmacy tech at Rite Aid making 9.35 and hour do they (pharmacy techs) gets paid more out there ?)

I want to say first and foremost thanks for anyone taking out your time to read this and I apologize for my poor grammar skills .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 06:45 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly.M View Post
Hello my name is Kelly age 22 (male) . I'm a current student trying to obtain my bachelors degree in computer information which should take about a year and a semester if i push myself but I'm sick of the lackluster education Buffalo seems to have it took me 3 years to obtain a 2 year degree due to miss-communication and departments not having a base knowledge of how education runs within there own school . I would love a change of pace and lifestyle. I currently live in Buffalo New York a place where dreams die in my opinion. Its very hard to find jobs here even with a degree, and especially jobs for students because a lot of employers don't want to work with your hours or they want you to be full time. I should mention i have about 5,000 dollars saved up if i were to move to Toronto
and also an associates degree in liberal arts . My questions are as follows.

2.Cost of living with apartment/food, phone bill lets say average 70 dollars internet with lights and gas Will 800 to 1,500 dollars a month cover that ?

3. For students is it easy to find a job that wont suck ! (retail, Mc Donalds etc etc )

4. I'm currently a pharmacy tech at Rite Aid making 9.35 and hour do they (pharmacy techs) gets paid more out there ?)

I want to say first and foremost thanks for anyone taking out your time to read this and I apologize for my poor grammar skills .
COL would definitely be higher in Toronto than Buffalo.. You could look at hooking up with a roommate so you can share rental costs and even with that I think you'll be approaching 1500 - unless you are SUPER frugal.. Most apartments utilities are included in rental costs but not all so be careful! Food prices will be about 15-20 percent higher in Toronto.

The minimum wage in Ontario is 11.25 per hour so right there you'd be making more than your current job.. I'm not sure how much a Pharm tech would make but imagine it would be greater than minimum wage.

Hey - you live in Buffalo why don't you come up when you have a few days off and do some investigating Good luck and of course i'm sure you know Toronto is in another country so what I wrote speaks nothing to living in Canada legally lol..

Check out Craigslist and Kijiji for apt/roommate postings in Toronto.

Old 10-19-2015, 12:24 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,452,265 times
The basic fact that you seem to have missed is......

You must apply and be accepted, by a University or Community College in Canada, and then apply for a student VISA, from the Government of Canada. If you don't get a official letter of acceptance from the Canadian school.....You won't get a student Visa. No visa, no legal status in Canada.

Scholarships in Canada are reserved for Canadians. So, you are going to have to pay 100 percent of the costs here. And, in most cases, International students ( which you are ) can only work 10 hours a week, while in Canada. Your main job is to be a student here. Can you see that the system is designed to protect our job market, for our own citizens ?

As has been suggested, come up for a few days, look around. BUT remember that Canada is NOT the USA, and the rules about living and working here are not the same as in the USA. You can't just move here and think that you can get a job. That isn't going to happen, unless you have the proper legal status in Canada.

JiM B.

Old 10-19-2015, 12:27 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post

You must apply and be accepted, by a University or Community College in Canada, and then apply for a student VISA, from the Government of Canada. If you don't get a official letter of acceptance from the Canadian school.....You won't get a student Visa. No visa, no legal status in Canada.

Scholarships in Canada are reserved for Canadians. So, you are going to have to pay 100 percent of the costs here. And, in most cases, International students ( which you are ) can only work 10 hours a week, while in Canada. Your main job is to be a student here. Can you see that the system is designed to protect our job market, for our own citizens ?

As has been suggested, come up for a few days, look around. BUT remember that Canada is NOT the USA, and the rules about living and working here are not the same as in the USA. You can't just move here and think that you can get a job. That isn't going to happen, unless you have the proper legal status in Canada.

JiM B.
Probably be much better for OP to finish his studies in the U.S and than try to get into Canada as a skilled worker if that would apply to him..

Old 10-22-2015, 09:22 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,606,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post

JiM B.
Do you (or anyone) have any idea what the rules are for graduate students? I have been considering applying to the University of Toronto's School of Management. I've wanted to move to Toronto since I first visited at 12 years old, but it didn't make sense for university given the international tuition rates.

I'm graduating in May with a Bachelors in Business (Majors in Marketing and International Studies) and a minor in Econ. Money isn't really an issue for me, but I would much prefer to have a job while I complete my masters. I've done quite a bit of research about immigrating from the US to Canada and realize that it's very difficult for an American to get a job without an advanced degree or "real" job experience. I guess my question is; is that still the case if I obtain a student visa first (after getting accepted into the school, of course)? Would employers be able to give more equal consideration (compared to a Canadian) if I'm applying for a job, while attending a Toronto graduate school?

Old 10-24-2015, 08:15 PM

19 posts, read 22,874 times
I'm gonna post in here because I'm in the process of applying to school at Humber. According to an email I got, some programs accept American financial aid.

Is it a pretty safe bet that if you get accepted into a school in Canada then you get approved for a Student Visa? I know you also need to prove you have enough money to live on, but just wasn't sure how strenuous the application process was.

Old 11-05-2015, 06:32 PM

16 posts, read 16,790 times
So its time to Wake up Toronto is not much different from other large American cities

ANSWER - You wont get financial aid until you are permanent. same as in the U.S for us. You will have to pay the international student fee, way more than a U Buffalo home fee

ANSWER - It depends on your lifestyle. Toronto is expensive as a Beech to rent, extremely overpriced when it comes to real estate and renting. We are hoping and praying the outrageous housing bubble will pop soon.
A tiny Studio (bachelor) apt in a building will be the cheapest about close to $800 plus you will need a ttc metro pass (bus/subway pass) that will be another $130 I think.
You can rent rooms where you share kitchen or bath room. or rent basement apt. Renting in houses rather than apt buildings will be cheaper

ANSWER - Get ready to compete, Toronto is the New York of Canada.
extremely competitive, you will be completing with 4 year university graduates that don't have jobs. Most people or a extremely large percentage of people in Ontario have a two year community college diploma the approximate to a Associates Degree

ANSWER - Well this is a good start (you might have to be regulated though, I think things are changing...regulations up the rear here).....You can get abused at local drug store for about similar here in Ontario...probably $12 -15 $CDN, I think, higher end if you have experience. Minimum wage is $11.00

Last edited by FingerPoint; 11-05-2015 at 06:53 PM..

Old 11-05-2015, 07:05 PM

16 posts, read 16,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
Do you (or anyone) have any idea what the rules are for graduate students? I have been considering applying to the University of Toronto's School of Management. I've wanted to move to Toronto since I first visited at 12 years old, but it didn't make sense for university given the international tuition rates.

I'm graduating in May with a Bachelors in Business (Majors in Marketing and International Studies) and a minor in Econ. Money isn't really an issue for me, but I would much prefer to have a job while I complete my masters. I've done quite a bit of research about immigrating from the US to Canada and realize that it's very difficult for an American to get a job without an advanced degree or "real" job experience. I guess my question is; is that still the case if I obtain a student visa first (after getting accepted into the school, of course)? Would employers be able to give more equal consideration (compared to a Canadian) if I'm applying for a job, while attending a Toronto graduate school?
Yes you would be given equal opportunity, if you are studying and working part time, especially if you are are Born and Bred American. Employers can be picky if you are an new immigrant and have a accent, when applying to small businesses...hence joke?/ about the engineers and doctors from other countries driving cabs.

"it's very difficult for an American to get a job without an advanced degree or "real" job experience."
Its difficult for anyone anywhere whether in the U.S or Canada to get a job without experience.
If you have a degree in the U.S you would have a much easier time getting a job there in a comparative similar city like Toronto = (Chicago). Still more jobs than in Canada. Here small population and everyone has some sort of education, so its much more competitive.
Toronto is like New York, everyone from the rest of Canada come looking for jobs

But overall having a degree dosnt really mean anything anymore. Its going back to being like in the 1970's where its experience that counts the most, since most people have some sort of education
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto