Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 04:32 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,419,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
Even though men have an extended biological clock, I still think it would be tough for a guy 40+ to start raising kids vs starting younger. I'm 35 and with my first kid and the physical and mental toll is much more than I ever expected. Not sure I would want do more than one if I were 40+. It's early days so I know things will get better...so I hear

And even if there were a way to extend women's child bearing years, unless they're doing the same to peoples lives it doesn't make sense.

I mean, let's take you for example, johnathan. Let's say you're baby is 4 months old. YOU will be 70 when he is your age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Women have never been confined to the kitchen.

Yeah you're right. That leash stretched all the way to the grocery store, church, school, and sewing bees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2016, 05:19 AM

3,423 posts, read 4,364,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookyhere View Post
You're oh-so-wrong about that, I'm afraid. I used to think along the same lines but the increasingly army of lonely and disconnected people refutes that position. Societies aren't always on a march onwards and upwards into a bright and wondrous future; the historical record would suggest that they're more often cyclical and experience periods of decay and entropy.

Gavin McInnes is hilarious on this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMyY3Gd3uvo
Gavin McInnes is pretty hilarious, but, like comedians often do, he'll take a kernel of truth and skew it for rhetorical effect. He doesn't enlighten so much as he just spins the more extreme elements of modern life for a laugh. He's a propagandist, not a researcher.

I don't think we have a dichotomy to pick from here: it isn't "straight upward trajectory of progress" vs. "cyclical pattern of development and destruction". Modern society is experiencing things that have never happened before at all: much longer life expectancies; a wide and growing array of contraceptive choices; women in the paid workforce; widespread higher education, which has a role in delaying parenthood; consumer society, and all the affects of technological innovation on society. This is mostly all new to humanity. I don't think the end is nigh, but I do believe a long and deep adjustment period for society is necessary.

Humanity is wired to produce the healthiest babies during the prime childbearing years, meaning our 20s, not our 40s. Society hasn't kept this fact in mind since the 1970s. Maybe there's a Mayan calendar somewhere that links this to the fall of the Western world... or, maybe people's lifestyles will change to address these facts. Humans aren't unable to adapt to changing circumstances... never have been.

Old 01-31-2016, 03:08 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,822 times
As a women this is a conflict about the idea of having children in the 20s. I know women who had children in their 20s. Yes they got to have several kids, but they also missed on post secondary education, work lower paying jobs, never got to travel to the same extend as someone like me, they do not have the same economic freedoms as me and are pretty much in deep trouble if their husband/ partner ever leaves them as their families are just barely getting by as it is. In short they are living lower income or lower middle income lives. They live pay cheque to pay cheque and frankly as cute as kids are I am not sure I am willing to be broke to have a litter of children. Our system does not exactly encourage women who do not want to end up broke or economically challenged to want to have children. Maternity leave is a joke. Unless you make very little anyway having a child and taking off a year gets you next to nothing in terms of income to live on over that year. Also after that point if you do go back to work after that child care is very very very expensive. It takes a village to raise children, but the village of Canada is just not willing to foot the bill to help working families out. To me that is literally why you clearly notice in this city most people with multiple children are new immigrants or people who have significantly lower standards of living ex. Willing to live in a 3 bedroom apartment with a family of 7. There is nothing wrong with that, but when you have a large family in a city like Toronto unless you have a really high income you are really going to have to struggle and try to get by with a lot less. I guess there might be no perfect situation. Pardon my harshness re lower income living in Toronto. I had a really eye opening reminder of what lower income Toronto looks like today and that cloud is still circling my head. In short right now I am feeling I should be insanely thankful for what I do have as I just had a really crazy reminder of what living in this great city is like for people that have to get by on way less then I have.

Old 01-31-2016, 06:15 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,050,775 times
Gavin McInnes? He's gone waaaaaaaaay too political and way too radical.

I used to love his skits. When he used to do stuff like How To p*ss In Public (Not sure if I can link that here) and this old gem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br43eD87yhY

Now his videos whining about women, millenials, immigration, and anyone who is slightly liberal. No humor in that.

Last edited by Stoke; 01-31-2016 at 06:27 PM..

Old 02-01-2016, 08:44 AM

400 posts, read 422,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
Gavin McInnes? He's gone waaaaaaaaay too political and way too radical.

I used to love his skits. When he used to do stuff like How To p*ss In Public (Not sure if I can link that here) and this old gem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br43eD87yhY

Now his videos whining about women, millenials, immigration, and anyone who is slightly liberal. No humor in that.
Yeah, you're right about that. But I just like the way he 'takes the ****' out of people with that impish grin plastered on his face. He cracks me up.

Old 02-04-2016, 06:02 AM

14 posts, read 17,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
As for the topic... It seems to me that the pool of city men (those that women search for - groomed, fashionable, intelligent, career-minded etc) is not that large. Blue-collar men would never visit "tennis lessons, cooking classes,..." because they are busy with building their bikes or building web servers or fly fishing (they already have hobbies). There are still more men in towns and villages, running tractors and bulldozers and farmers markets. Do these men even enter the consideration of city women?
they are not qualified, mmes.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:15 AM

854 posts, read 585,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveaffair View Post
they are not qualified, mmes.
It's not that, it's distance. I'm currently trying to hook my male friend who lives in an Angus with my female friend who lives in midtown Toronto. He is a real catch. But she is very concerned that it won't work out because LDR. Plus, she doesn't have a car.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:21 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,050,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookyhere View Post
Yeah, you're right about that. But I just like the way he 'takes the ****' out of people with that impish grin plastered on his face. He cracks me up.
He's at it again. Calling a black person a monkey and then turning it into left wing media spin? Bloody hell lol.

It's so depressing seeing somebody you love be such a pr*ck.

Video | Media Matters for America

Old 02-18-2016, 10:07 AM

298 posts, read 276,664 times
You have to stick with people your own age, if your 30 than there are plenty of 30 year old guys who are single like you wondering where in the world are you...

Old 02-21-2016, 06:29 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,822 times
Default Mmmmm ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar21 View Post
You have to stick with people your own age, if your 30 than there are plenty of 30 year old guys who are single like you wondering where in the world are you...
Ya... that sounds like a comment someone in their early 20s would make. You know what I use to think that this was true or at least wanted to this was true, but frankly my current theory is men that are single in their 30s ex not married or in a long term relationship and just stalling to pop the question until the get the income and cash they think they need to spring for the ring and the wedding are often a little less mature ( or stable in terms of employment, life direction and emotional intelligence) and tend to be more interested in younger women who are not usually as interested in things like buying a house/ home and starting a family. Yes I said the F word .. family ()! Most women in their 30s are not looking for a man boy (ex a man who will likely end up being more a dependent then a partner). I know a lot of these types. As much as I love my single male friends and family members that are 30 plus I got to say if I was single I would not be interested in them because frankly they would be more of a liability in the long run ex fun to hang around with, but don't appear to be handle the serious parts of adult life ex paying bills, raising kids, being responsible for this type of stuff and be able to pull their own weight in terms of domestic duties ex. washing/ cleaning and fun stuff like that . Most women in this city work even if they are married with kids. That being said who would want to go out their way to marry a man that you will need to mother on top of taking care of yourself and possible your kids? The kind of stuff someone wants in a partner can significant change with time. The problem is you end up with a man boy is that once in a domestic relationship you end up picking up all their slack and when their asked to start acting like an adult and take care of themselves they start to resent you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto