Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2018, 01:27 PM

18,492 posts, read 15,349,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's not related to his "sexuality" (whatever that means) at all. I know he's gay, that's it.

And I did not know that hot under the collar was primarily a sexual metaphor. (Though I knew that it was one of its meanings.)

Lost in the translation I guess.

I thought it could also mean simply getting anxious about something.
When someone is relating a story, and mentions something about a person in that story, one assumes it has some relevance to the story.

If gay, isn't important to the story, why mention it?

If I was telling a story about someone who did something horrible and told it this way.

" He picked up the coffee cup and threw it at the clerk like a madman"

It would be fine. If I told it this way.

" He picked up the coffee cup and threw it at the clerk like a madman. He was a Quebecker"

You'd start to wonder, what does him being a Quebecker have to do with it? Am I trying to say that Quebeckers are all madmen? .

Old 06-01-2018, 01:32 PM

18,492 posts, read 15,349,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Nat - I have absolutely nothing to add to this - very well written. I can't rep it but I would 1000 times if I could!! I absolutely echo your words and wholeheartedly agree. I also resent the fact that I am not considered as important a gay person as some sort of Gay activist leadership whatevertf that is.... I wonder what entails the straight white guy leadership in this country - I guess whoever they are is more important than AJ I guess!?
Just don't forget your agenda list and your secret password to get free stuff.

Old 06-01-2018, 01:53 PM

26,763 posts, read 37,665,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
When someone is relating a story, and mentions something about a person in that story, one assumes it has some relevance to the story.

If gay, isn't important to the story, why mention it?

If I was telling a story about someone who did something horrible and told it this way.

" He picked up the coffee cup and threw it at the clerk like a madman"

It would be fine. If I told it this way.

" He picked up the coffee cup and threw it at the clerk like a madman. He was a Quebecker"

You'd start to wonder, what does him being a Quebecker have to do with it? Am I trying to say that Quebeckers are all madmen? .
Well, I told the story in the context of a discussion about how quite a few of the more visible gay rights people are surprisingly keen on defending Islam, which can be said to be a fairly homophobic belief system...

So I'd say it's relevant to point out that the person was gay.

If we were having a discussion about Quebecers displaying mentally unstable behaviour in coffee houses, then yeah it might be relevant to point out that a person throwing a coffee at a clerk was from Quebec.

Old 06-01-2018, 02:00 PM

26,763 posts, read 37,665,557 times
Quote:
...but the point is that your assumption that they would of challenged a Christian belief, and not a Muslim one, kind of falls apart when it's difficult to realize an actual situation where that can happen.

Easy way out. IMO
So it's not relevant simply because there are no identical examples?

I think there are plenty of examples where quirks and whatnot of Christianity are not well-received.

Just yesterday I was embroiled in a discussion on another forum that discusses architecture and urban affairs where someone posted a skyline shot of Montreal where there was a figure on the side of a building that appeared (to some) to be a Christ-like mural.

The reactions of many were a lot stronger than "eeewww". And ensued a huge debate.

In the end it turns out it's not a mural but rather an audio-visual show on various buildings portraying the history of the city. If the picture had been taken a few minutes before or after you might have seen a hockey player or Expo 67. And the image in question was not of Jesus Christ but rather of a Jesuit missionary.

In any even the indignant crowd did not back down in their indignation even after what it was was explained to them.

Old 06-01-2018, 02:23 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,672,126 times
Default ...

Quote:
I want free stuff! What password???

Old 06-01-2018, 02:28 PM

Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karassmatic View Post
Purely hypothetical. I really only like roulette. Only other time I really like odds are in sports.

You can’t expect people to just give you money. But if you really want money and keep other peoples winnings you gotta put in the work. Not sure you ar built for that
I grew up at Woodbine Track and sitting sideline at card games.

Be nice to adults that are wining and they slip you cash every time the hit it.

The more they drink .... the larger the the collection.

I use to walk out 100s lol.

They even let me pick the horses

Old 06-01-2018, 02:56 PM

800 posts, read 724,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I grew up at Woodbine Track and sitting sideline at card games.

Be nice to adults that are wining and they slip you cash every time the hit it.

The more they drink .... the larger the the collection.

I use to walk out 100s lol.

They even let me pick the horses
Umm ok. Though I am sure you are aware you are no longer a child.

Old 06-01-2018, 03:14 PM

Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karassmatic View Post
Umm ok. Though I am sure you are aware you are no longer a child.
Or am I !

As long as there are older people then me in the world .... I will always be child like or someone's child .

Old 06-01-2018, 05:15 PM

15,109 posts, read 15,717,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I don't find this particularly convincing.

I am not a lawyer but I have quite a bit of work experience with laws and such, and one golden rule we had was "le législateur ne parle pas pour rien" (the legislator does not say something for nothing).

There is very little that is fortituous or superfluous in texts of law.

So trying to convince us that "God" in the preamble of the Constitution doesn't actually mean "God" and has no religious significance...
What are your expectations from the Supremacy of God statement in the Charter anyway? From what I know it has rarely been used in CAD Jurisprudence. I think just by Superior Court Judge Gérard Dugré for the Jesuit School in Montreal - no?

I found a quote from P.E.T regarding the Charter and that preamble.
“ it was strange, so long after the Middle Ages that some politicians felt obliged to mention God in a constitution which is, after all, a secular and not a spiritual document.”

Last edited by fusion2; 06-01-2018 at 05:54 PM..

Old 06-01-2018, 05:19 PM

15,109 posts, read 15,717,413 times
Quote:
Oh yeah the 'special rights' lol.. Well my God who has supremacy in the Charter requires that I have a harem of sexy men to attend to me - on the weekends :P

Last edited by fusion2; 06-01-2018 at 06:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto