Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2016, 09:39 AM

2 posts, read 886 times

Advertisements

I am an experienced male Engineer from Nigeria and will be commencing my MBA at Ryerson University this Fall. I will appreciate it if I can get some information to help my settling down as I have never been to Canada but have studied and lived in the UK during my MSc a couple of years back.

Info needed are:

1. Best location for off-campus housing. I am married but will be coming alone while the wifey will be visiting intermittently so I am looking to get a one bedroom apartment (preferably furnished)

2. Moving around - to buy a car or depend on public transportation ?

3. Job opportunities - I am not looking to work while studying but would love opportunities for internship placement and possibly a job after graduation so I can settle in Canada after my studies. I have almost 10 years engineering and management experience in the Oil and Gas industry.

4. Social interaction - I am very open minded and able to mingle with all Nationalities but would like to know if there are specific places where Nigerians and Africans are most likely to be found in Toronto

5. What's the general state of the economy at the moment ? I know it is not all rosy but are things getting better with the new government ?

Grateful for any info that can be provided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 11:43 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,045 times
Default Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoltan View Post
I am an experienced male Engineer from Nigeria and will be commencing my MBA at Ryerson University this Fall. I will appreciate it if I can get some information to help my settling down as I have never been to Canada but have studied and lived in the UK during my MSc a couple of years back.

Info needed are:

1. Best location for off-campus housing. I am married but will be coming alone while the wifey will be visiting intermittently so I am looking to get a one bedroom apartment (preferably furnished)

2. Moving around - to buy a car or depend on public transportation ?

3. Job opportunities - I am not looking to work while studying but would love opportunities for internship placement and possibly a job after graduation so I can settle in Canada after my studies. I have almost 10 years engineering and management experience in the Oil and Gas industry.

4. Social interaction - I am very open minded and able to mingle with all Nationalities but would like to know if there are specific places where Nigerians and Africans are most likely to be found in Toronto

5. What's the general state of the economy at the moment ? I know it is not all rosy but are things getting better with the new government ?

Grateful for any info that can be provided.
If you are living in Toronto you and go to Ryerson you should not invest in a car and use the TTC. Parking in the area of Ryerson is expensive and in short supply.

Contact the international student centre at Ryerson regarding your question about working and internships. They will be the best source for information on this topic. Also Ryerson contact the program advisor as the school usually e-mails out list of people looking for interns or jobs related to the industry.

New International Students - studentcommunity - Ryerson University

There are associations of every cutlural group in Toronto.

Regarding areas of the city with higher nigerian populations ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigerian_Canadians

Jane and Wilson (Chalkfarm) area of Toronto appears to have a higher population. I would not advise going out of your way to live in this area. Not the best area exactly (no better then where I grew up in Toronto so I am not trying to be condescending, but being honest). Also it will talk 45 mintues to 1 hour to get to Ryerson by TTC (Toronto Public Transit). Traffic in the area is pretty heavy. Regardless of where you choose the closer you are the subway line is better. The closer you are to Ryerson the more expensive your rent will likely be, but you never know. The public transit in the city is 24 hours technically as long as you live on the right routes/ near a main street, but not all things operate 24 hours.

If you are in the Engineering program there are lots of socail events to allow you to network run by the school. Ryerson has a large percentage of mature students so the experience is different to other universtiy type settings (in terms of how people dress ex the sterotype of university students running around in sweat pants and pajamas is not what you will see at Ryerson). It is in the heart of the city and not off in the middle of the country side. Everything you need will be at your finger tips. Also once you get a place get a Toronto Public Library Card. We have a great Library system in the city and as a student you may really benefit from it. Also as someone new to the city you be able to take out free passes to explore different Museums in the city.

Home : Toronto Public Library

I hope this information is helpful.

Good luck and I hope you have a great experience in Toronto.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:25 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,860,485 times
Regarding the general economy in Toronto.. As a matter of fact, the Unemployment rate in Toronto post oil crash is actually lower in the Toronto Census Metropolitan Area than it was back in 2012/2013, so in practicable terms the Toronto economy is doing well and along with Vancouver is actually carrying the weight of net new jobs in the country.

I echo KLM's advice about living close to where you go to school. Don't burden yourself with a car in the city. You go to school in the heart of the DT core - just live there and you could probably walk to/fro school. Ryerson itself is an immensely diverse Uni and is a general reflection of the diversity of Toronto. It shouldn't be too hard to even find Nigerian and other African students. Certainly it will be easy for you to find Nigerian/African community groups in the city.

As for Job opportunities - you may wish to expand your horizons beyond the oil and gas industry. You have management experience and will have a MBA so you may find that you can use your skills/experience/education/credentials in a transferable manner in other industries. Something to keep in mind.

Last edited by fusion2; 06-15-2016 at 12:36 PM..

Old 06-16-2016, 08:56 AM

2 posts, read 886 times
Appreciate the info provided on accommodation and transport. I will do away with the car and settle for public transportation. Also makes a lot of sense getting a place close to the school.
I like the idea of more mature students in Ryerson as I am pretty on the mature side myself

Gratias !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto