Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 08:38 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times

Advertisements

OK, if you think HMO is "great health insurance", then there is no need for further debating. I guess those American family who struggle to pay for unexpected medical bills, or go bankrupt because of them, are all imaginary.

As to "random family" vs. "your family", you still miss the point. We are NOT talking about YOUR situation. Of course America works better for certain people by far, nobody is stupid enough to deny that. We are talking about which system offers better outcome in general, without taking into consideration your particular circumstances - under the "veil of ignorance". North Korea works great for kim jong un and its close circles too, but how can you guarantee you will be one of them?

Everything is "better" under the US system for you obviously. You win. So far, I think everyone on the forum see what a logical, reasonable and unbiased genius you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2016, 01:56 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
You crack me up!
The image of Botti in front of oil wells in the desert while adjusting his crown just won't go away !

Old 07-08-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
OK, if you think HMO is "great health insurance", then there is no need for further debating. I guess those American family who struggle to pay for unexpected medical bills, or go bankrupt because of them, are all imaginary.

As to "random family" vs. "your family", you still miss the point. We are NOT talking about YOUR situation. Of course America works better for certain people by far, nobody is stupid enough to deny that. We are talking about which system offers better outcome in general, without taking into consideration your particular circumstances - under the "veil of ignorance". North Korea works great for kim jong un and its close circles too, but how can you guarantee you will be one of them?

Everything is "better" under the US system for you obviously. You win. So far, I think everyone on the forum see what a logical, reasonable and unbiased genius you are.
Botti...you've come around or am I imagining it?

Old 07-08-2016, 02:30 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Botti...you've come around or am I imagining it?
I think my political view has changed during the past 2-3 years. I am not being dramatic, but the past 8 years living in Canada changed the way I look at things, the world quite a lot. Canada is still flawed and there are many things that frustrate me (Toronto council is going to have that stupid Scarborough subway or LRT discussion for the 18th time soon, back and forth), but in general, it is a well-function society that takes good care of its population. Compared with the US we don't have so many serious social problems and sharp divide, and compared with Europe, we show solid growth and looks prosperous. Canada has a good balance I would say.

Many of my friends don't understand how come Canada and Canadian cities always rank high on those livability rankings, they are like "isn't it cold there" "isn't everything expensive" "Isn't wage lower than the US"? "Aren't they taxes high" etc etc. I can't convince them but now with a different view, I know why it is the case.

Sure, Canada has little glamour to boast about, but it is incredibly successful all things considered. You judge the success of a country by look at the lower class, not the most successful bunch.

Old 07-08-2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:
I think my political view has changed during the past 2-3 years. I am not being dramatic, but the past 8 years living in Canada changed the way I look at things, the world quite a lot. Canada is still flawed and there are many things that frustrate me (Toronto council is going to have that stupid Scarborough subway or LRT discussion for the 18th time soon, back and forth), but in general, it is a well-function society that takes good care of its population. Compared with the US we don't have so many serious social problems and sharp divide, and compared with Europe, we show solid growth and looks prosperous. Canada has a good balance I would say.

Many of my friends don't understand how come Canada and Canadian cities always rank high on those livability rankings, they are like "isn't it cold there" "isn't everything expensive" "Isn't wage lower than the US"? "Aren't they taxes high" etc etc. I can't convince them but now with a different view, I know why it is the case.

Sure, Canada has little glamour to boast about, but it is incredibly successful all things considered. You judge the success of a country by look at the lower class, not the most successful bunch.

Balance and compromise.

Now, I'm going to work on you to enjoy and appreciate the woods.

Cold beer, birds chirping, sound of a canoe/kayak paddle in the water and fresh air

Last edited by Natnasci; 07-08-2016 at 03:55 PM..

Old 07-08-2016, 07:01 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
The image of Botti in front of oil wells in the desert while adjusting his crown just won't go away !
He'd be a just King but would say NO to suburban sprawl and there would be subways crisscrossing all parts of the desert. Build it and they will come

Old 07-08-2016, 07:12 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,813,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moveagain View Post
Saying anything about Toronto being not as good as other places will get you stoned to death in this forum
NO CRITICISM OF TORONTO ALLOWED IN TORONTO FORUM! Everything's always perfect. America sucks, Quebec drools, Toronto rules!

Old 07-08-2016, 07:37 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
Quote:
I Compared with the US we don't have so many serious social problems and sharp divide, and compared with Europe, we show solid growth and looks prosperous. Canada has a good balance I would say.
This is true. It's just what you value more. If you have a stronger desire for equality and harmony, Canada is probably a better option than the U.S. If you have a stronger desire for personal fulfillment and autonomy, the U.S. is probably a better option than Canada. Different strokes for different folks.
Quote:
The lower earning cohorts in Canada don't earn more than the lower earning cohorts in the U.S. The reason the U.S. has much higher income inequality than Canada is because it has more wealth, not because of more poverty. The countries basically look the same at, say, the 40th percentile and lower. They diverge when you reach the median income, where the U.S. is somewhat wealthier, and then there's a really huge difference at the 80th percentile and higher.

Even dumpy, stagnant U.S. metros like Detroit and Cleveland have massive areas of megamansions, luxury retail and services to rival Toronto, and lots of very obvious wealth. In Canada, especially outside Toronto, wealth seems quieter; not as showy except among certain immigrants (IMO). But Canada is showy compared to Northern Europe (excepting UK), where it's generally extreme bad taste to show wealth.

Old 07-08-2016, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
This is true. It's just what you value more. If you have a stronger desire for equality and harmony, Canada is probably a better option than the U.S. If you have a stronger desire for personal fulfillment and autonomy, the U.S. is probably a better option than Canada. Different strokes for different folks.

The lower earning cohorts in Canada don't earn more than the lower earning cohorts in the U.S. The reason the U.S. has much higher income inequality than Canada is because it has more wealth, not because of more poverty. The countries basically look the same at, say, the 40th percentile and lower. They diverge when you reach the median income, where the U.S. is somewhat wealthier, and then there's a really huge difference at the 80th percentile and higher.

Even dumpy, stagnant U.S. metros like Detroit and Cleveland have massive areas of megamansions, luxury retail and services to rival Toronto, and lots of very obvious wealth. In Canada, especially outside Toronto, wealth seems quieter; not as showy except among certain immigrants (IMO). But Canada is showy compared to Northern Europe (excepting UK), where it's generally extreme bad taste to show wealth.
Any idea what the median family income is in the U.S?

2013 in Canada it was 76,550

Median total income, by family type, by province and territory (All census families)

I did a basic google search and i'm coming up with a lot lower of a number for U.S median family incomes than in Canada but wanted to get another perspective as my search parameters could be flawed.

Last edited by fusion2; 07-08-2016 at 08:05 PM..

Old 07-09-2016, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
NO CRITICISM OF TORONTO ALLOWED IN TORONTO FORUM! Everything's always perfect. America sucks, Quebec drools, Toronto rules!
I love that Toronto's prosperity p****S you off and grinds you so. The city must be doing something right to elicit statements such as this. Toronto's not perfect, but on the whole must be doing a lot of things right and moving in the right direction to get ribbed the way it does by those like you. Makes me smile. With Toronto's exploding gay population who knows - one day like me, you might be married to a Torontonian and you'll be living here too - such divine justice.. Awwww neighbours... Muah

Last edited by fusion2; 07-09-2016 at 07:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto