Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 09:04 PM

800 posts, read 730,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moveagain View Post
I can understand where they came from : it is their hometown and they can't stand anything negative about it being said by someone from other places . Toronto can do no wrong, anything you are not happy about must be your own fault
That's their logic. My logic is that they are insecure about torontos standing in the world. So much so they must defend it's honor Like that is going change people's opinions. Most people that visit like it a lot. A lot of people that spent a lot of time see flaws in it. Like they would any other city. You only really see the flaws if you spend a lot of time there. Like I love visiting new york. But if I lived there I know the congestion and overly aggressive nature of new yorkers would irritate me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 10:06 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,723,845 times
Default .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karassmatic View Post
Why do you have to discredit people and their experience though? Since you are making an effort to be more friendly we can assume it's because you know it's true. I r member fusion, rip to his username, would bash la and no one got go butt hurt over it. It's his opinion and its an unpopular one. Toronto is the way it is and I don't know why you dismiss it so much. Just ignore it and focus on the positives the city has to offer. Like career opportunities. Rather than a lacking social culture.
Everyday is different. When I actually take off my head phones people often do talk. Saturday I literally had conversation after conversation with different people all over the city. You got to actually appear freindly and have a conversation trigger.

Ex I was shopping in a music store. Then casually started chatting a with some guy in the store about lessons and different types of guitars.

Taste of the Danforth ... Started chatting with some people in line while waiting for food.

Bought a Drum in the West end of the city walking to the subway approached by someone just casually asking if I played and we started to talk and was invited to this event ( not going because it is a religious thing ...but it was an interesting conversation).

In the subway this lady starting talking with me ... Nice ... Short and pleasant conversation.

On the bus approached by a group of 5 people in their 20-30s that were listening to music, singing and having fun and we started taking.

Some times things just happen, but you have to be out and about to have them happen. Also try meetup.com .... I am hearing good things and there seems to be lots of cool groups for just about everything from what I have checked out so far. Never said the city was perfect ... But it you go out with a no one will talk to be attitude you are setting yourself up for failure.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Everyday is different. When I actually take off my head phones people often do talk. Saturday I literally had conversation after conversation with different people all over the city. You got to actually appear freindly and have a conversation trigger.

Ex I was shopping in a music store. Then casually started chatting a with some guy in the store about lessons and different types of guitars.

Taste of the Danforth ... Started chatting with some people in line while waiting for food.

Bought a Drum in the West end of the city walking to the subway approached by someone just casually asking if I played and we started to talk and was invited to this event ( not going because it is a religious thing ...but it was an interesting conversation).

In the subway this lady starting talking with me ... Nice ... Short and pleasant conversation.

On the bus approached by a group of 5 people in their 20-30s that were listening to music, singing and having fun and we started taking.

Some times things just happen, but you have to be out and about to have them happen. Also try meetup.com .... I am hearing good things and there seems to be lots of cool groups for just about everything from what I have checked out so far. Never said the city was perfect ... But it you go out with a no one will talk to be attitude you are setting yourself up for failure.
I don't need new friends I really don't have a problem meeting people because I am not socially inept. I can easily find dates around this city if I was still single. But a lot of people complain how it is difficult in toronto compared to other places. But you are being too dense to realize it. Yes you can talk to people here if you have an excuse too. It's definitely not as easysince other places it's flat out normal to be easy going. You even said yourself in previous posts you think peiple that talk to you randomly gets your guard up. Did you forget that? Quit being spineless and if you are being more outgoing good. I hope you days are better because of it. Maybe it will be more like that so less people complain. Or maybe it won't but at the end of the day it doesn't matter. Toronto is canda biggest city and it always will he the place to go if people want to come to canada

Old 08-08-2016, 09:47 AM

287 posts, read 306,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post

What you said all make a lot of sense, and they are valuable suggestions, but you keep ignoring the fact that people who made those complaints did not change their behavior while having very different experience in other places

Old 08-08-2016, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moveagain View Post
What you said all make a lot of sense, and they are valuable suggestions, but you keep ignoring the fact that people who made those complaints did not change their behavior while having very different experience in other places
She was the one justifying why torontonians arenot approachable previously. Now she is singing another tune. It's funny but since she is being outgoing nowadays I bet you she smiles more now than when she wasn't.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:23 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYiYPPTA7sY

! You can cry about it ... or you can be the catalyse for change.

Old 08-09-2016, 11:02 AM

400 posts, read 422,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar21 View Post
I feel quite lonely here, your right, I must see how Europe is in contrast to this place then.
It's BETTER, Rockstar. Trust me on that. Now, it's not some social nirvana or anything. And if you settle in a huge city over there, well, all humongous cities are somewhat alienating no matter where they are. But overall, most cities are designed to foster a sense of community a little bit better than here. The best way I could describe it is that cities like Barcelona, San Sebastian and such have more buzz, more energy. A palpable energy that you can feel and which is kind of infectious. In those places, the last thing on my mind was to curl up in nook somewhere and read a book. No, I wanted ACTION. Toronto's energy is more of the kind that would inspire someone to browse in a bookstore or read a newspaper in a coffee shop.

I heard that South America is like that too but I can't speak from personal experience. Had a buddy who packed up and left for his native Peru last year, saying he liked the lifestyle better and that the economy down there is a vast improvement over how it was when he left as a kid.

In Canada, one is encouraged to 'follow your own dreams' and to 'not depend on anyone else but yourself in life' or to 'fend for yourself because no one else will', sort of philosophy. Very survival of the fittest/ Jeremy Bentham/Anglo type mentality. Individualism run amok, is how I would put it. To each their own...some people really thrive in the T.O. environment.

Last edited by lookyhere; 08-09-2016 at 11:54 AM..

Old 08-09-2016, 03:07 PM

1 posts, read 605 times
yea it is! I was too struggling with this in earlier days when I joined York univ back in 2015.. but later few of classmates became friends when I scored good in assignment.. probably they got impressed

Old 08-09-2016, 03:36 PM

Default ...

Quote:
I don't need new friends I really don't have a problem meeting people because I am not socially inept. I can easily find dates around this city if I was still single. But a lot of people complain how it is difficult in toronto compared to other places. But you are being too dense to realize it. Yes you can talk to people here if you have an excuse too. It's definitely not as easysince other places it's flat out normal to be easy going. You even said yourself in previous posts you think peiple that talk to you randomly gets your guard up. Did you forget that? Quit being spineless and if you are being more outgoing good. I hope you days are better because of it. Maybe it will be more like that so less people complain. Or maybe it won't but at the end of the day it doesn't matter. Toronto is canda biggest city and it always will he the place to go if people want to come to canada

Whatever :P! This is a boring conversation at this point anyways. What ever happen to the more fun topics in the Toronto part of this thing. What good Karassmatic? People in Toronto .. this or that .. who cares? Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Nothing more interesting to talk about ...

For all those people pointing out this issue with the city what the hell are you doing about it. It does not take much to point out a problem.... but what are you doing about it?

Seriously ... why don't you post about that. That would be more helpful at this point for anyone who feels this way. Feeling lonely sucks... I could be in a room with a 1000 people and feel lonely depending on my mood.

You those of you who say you are feeling socially isolated I got a challenge for you ... try going somewhere by yourself that you usually would think it was not okay to go to without other people. When I was younger teens or early 20s I would never go anywhere by myself. Always thinking I needed someone with me, but the truth is you don't. Crazy fun stuff can happen at any time. If you stay inside your shell you are less likely to meet people. Forget complaining about the location ... go out and explore. I think that if anything when you start talking to more people they might actually find you refreshing.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:16 AM

54 posts, read 45,677 times
Quote:
But a lot of people complain how it is difficult in toronto compared to other places. But you are being too dense to realize it. Yes you can talk to people here if you have an excuse too. It's definitely not as easysince other places it's flat out normal to be easy going.
It's one thing to walk into a store and have chit-chats with people. That's fantastic for the moment, but in the long-term one needs to develop strong friendships, which believe you me does not happen out of a brief and random chitter-chatter with some stranger on the streets of Toronto.

I'm actually moving out to London, UK next week Wednesday and will see how it works out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto