Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 12:59 PM

298 posts, read 276,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarx_121 View Post
It's one thing to walk into a store and have chit-chats with people. That's fantastic for the moment, but in the long-term one needs to develop strong friendships, which believe you me does not happen out of a brief and random chitter-chatter with some stranger on the streets of Toronto.

I'm actually moving out to London, UK next week Wednesday and will see how it works out there.
Tell me once you reach there how it is, maybe I can try to get some feedback on how it is there and maybe move out there aswell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 11:47 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,726,194 times
Default London....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar21 View Post
Tell me once you reach there how it is, maybe I can try to get some feedback on how it is there and maybe move out there aswell.
I used to live in London England for a short time. The weather general is depressing. The dampness socks. Lots to do...see and explore. It is really expensive!!!!! If you are working there it gets a bit better. The transit is more expensive .... don't forgot ...you pay per zone... not like here were it is ride as far as you can for once price. They will actually come kick you off over tell you off about it if you go further then you paid lol.

If like bars and drinking .... you will have a blast. There are stuck up Brits .... but I really did not meet many like this .... most were really easy going and fun. I think because I was a student and avoided more expensive places ( could not afford would be a better way to put it) I was around less uptight people. In Toronto I could afford to go to more expensive places. If you are under 25 try getting a work/ travel visa. The student centre or travel place accosted with the universities can likely give you more info. It was the best experience ever. It is very cheap to travel from London to other countries. I 100% suggest that anyone try it out. London is jam packed with things to see and do. I would have stated longer... but wanted to come back to finish my last year of university in Toronto.

Old 08-13-2016, 10:47 AM

400 posts, read 422,510 times
Quote:
It's one thing to walk into a store and have chit-chats with people. That's fantastic for the moment, but in the long-term one needs to develop strong friendships, which believe you me does not happen out of a brief and random chitter-chatter with some stranger on the streets of Toronto.

I'm actually moving out to London, UK next week Wednesday and will see how it works out there.
Yeah, If you could, let us know on this board how things are going for you in London.

Old 08-14-2016, 06:42 AM

54 posts, read 45,695 times
Quote:
Yip I will let you know. I don't think I will stay longer than a year to be honest - it all depends on the job aspects.

Old 08-14-2016, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookyhere View Post
It's BETTER, Rockstar. Trust me on that. Now, it's not some social nirvana or anything. And if you settle in a huge city over there, well, all humongous cities are somewhat alienating no matter where they are. But overall, most cities are designed to foster a sense of community a little bit better than here. The best way I could describe it is that cities like Barcelona, San Sebastian and such have more buzz, more energy. A palpable energy that you can feel and which is kind of infectious. In those places, the last thing on my mind was to curl up in nook somewhere and read a book. No, I wanted ACTION. Toronto's energy is more of the kind that would inspire someone to browse in a bookstore or read a newspaper in a coffee shop.

I heard that South America is like that too but I can't speak from personal experience. Had a buddy who packed up and left for his native Peru last year, saying he liked the lifestyle better and that the economy down there is a vast improvement over how it was when he left as a kid.

In Canada, one is encouraged to 'follow your own dreams' and to 'not depend on anyone else but yourself in life' or to 'fend for yourself because no one else will', sort of philosophy. Very survival of the fittest/ Jeremy Bentham/Anglo type mentality. Individualism run amok, is how I would put it. To each their own...some people really thrive in the T.O. environment.
It depends where in Europe you are. Eastern Europe has a very different vibe to Western and I find that many Slavic nations are just not as friendly or hospitable as the Southern Europeans. Let's say I prefer Toronto to Prague, and no I would not live in Prague. Don't get me wrong - Prague is a majestic city but to say its better than Toronto - def not. Warsaw is improving in its' own right, and has alot of happenings here and there.

I do think that Paris, Athens, Milan, Rome, Vienna, are some cities which are full of energy and excitement with so many activities etc. Well Vienna is much smaller but for me its more liveable then Toronto - I would live there in a heartbeat (even Paris).

Spain - I haven't been there so I can't comment. I also have had so many amazing stays in Athens before the financial crisis and even after - amazing city with so many things that are happening.

So in essense when one says Europe - its all very different depending on where you are, East or West, North or South.

Old 08-15-2016, 01:13 AM

178 posts, read 523,853 times
Quote:
I feel quite lonely here, your right, I must see how Europe is in contrast to this place then.
What do you want to know? I moved to Ukraine right after January 2014 and I am still there. I don't miss Toronto at all even though I lived there for 18 years. One great thing about being outside of Canada is that you're in one specific culture, where everyone looks and acts a particular way. It certainly beats the incohesiveness and multiculturalism of Canada leaving you quite overwhelmed. It found it because you're not getting these intimate connections.

Just checking out this forum to make sure Toronto didn't get hit by an asteroid or something

Old 08-15-2016, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architext View Post
What do you want to know? I moved to Ukraine right after January 2014 and I am still there. I don't miss Toronto at all even though I lived there for 18 years. One great thing about being outside of Canada is that you're in one specific culture, where everyone looks and acts a particular way. It certainly beats the incohesiveness and multiculturalism of Canada leaving you quite overwhelmed. It found it because you're not getting these intimate connections.

Just checking out this forum to make sure Toronto didn't get hit by an asteroid or something
Where in Ukaine are you? I think it's very brave for you to move back to Ukraine, especially after living in Toronto for so long. I always wondered what living in Ukraine is like, since I dealt with software developers from there, so I always heard the stories. I am Czech and actually alot of guys from Ukraine and Russia love Czech Rep - it's relatively more peaceful than Ukraine, that is for sure.

Old 08-15-2016, 06:26 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Where in Ukaine are you? I think it's very brave for you to move back to Ukraine, especially after living in Toronto for so long. I always wondered what living in Ukraine is like, since I dealt with software developers from there, so I always heard the stories. I am Czech and actually alot of guys from Ukraine and Russia love Czech Rep - it's relatively more peaceful than Ukraine, that is for sure.
I'm in Kiev which is a big city and has all the creature comforts you'd expect. Prices are a tiny fraction of what you'd pay for in Canada. And if you're a male, I don't have to tell you about the quality of Eastern European women. It's like a limitless sea of beauty.

Getting back on track, before you move to a country like that you need to know the language and have a legal ability to live there. Everything else you can get used to. So this option is only open to those individuals who were born there, moved to Canada/US etc and have retained their birth country's citizenship. I'm one of them but there are many people like me.

So you're Czech & you know some basic Czech? Bingo, you can go and live there. It's a huge benefit when you think about it that not everyone has.

I also have some classmates who were born in UK and moved back there. Same goes for Israel. Longtime friend moved there, got married there and that's it. He's not coming back to Canada either. But moving to Ukraine, you're right. It's very much a personal decision.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:40 AM

Quote:
I'm in Kiev which is a big city and has all the creature comforts you'd expect. Prices are a tiny fraction of what you'd pay for in Canada. And if you're a male, I don't have to tell you about the quality of Eastern European women. It's like a limitless sea of beauty.

Getting back on track, before you move to a country like that you need to know the language and have a legal ability to live there. Everything else you can get used to. So this option is only open to those individuals who were born there, moved to Canada/US etc and have retained their birth country's citizenship. I'm one of them but there are many people like me.

So you're Czech & you know some basic Czech? Bingo, you can go and live there. It's a huge benefit when you think about it that not everyone has.

I also have some classmates who were born in UK and moved back there. Same goes for Israel. Longtime friend moved there, got married there and that's it. He's not coming back to Canada either. But moving to Ukraine, you're right. It's very much a personal decision.
I know about Kiev and a couple of other cities but have never been there. Any Central / Eastern European city is much cheaper to live in than Toronto - that is a fact, but the salaries are also lower so one has to compromise. I actually was born in Czech, but grew up in South Africa, and then I moved to Toronto in 2011. I did however live + work in Czech for a while beforehand and I just didn't like the narrow-minded mentality of the people there, so that's why I moved to Toronto. There are tons of Ukraninans working and living in Czech Rep, especially Prague. Prague is pretty spectacular / beautiful, but nightlife is not as developed as other Western capital cities like Paris.

Anyway I will be in London on Wednesday and am already getting in touch with all my South African mates - so looking forward to that.

Old 08-15-2016, 09:02 AM

Quote:
I know about Kiev and a couple of other cities but have never been there. Any Central / Eastern European city is much cheaper to live in than Toronto - that is a fact, but the salaries are also lower so one has to compromise. I actually was born in Czech, but grew up in South Africa, and then I moved to Toronto in 2011. I did however live + work in Czech for a while beforehand and I just didn't like the narrow-minded mentality of the people there, so that's why I moved to Toronto. There are tons of Ukraninans working and living in Czech Rep, especially Prague. Prague is pretty spectacular / beautiful, but nightlife is not as developed as other Western capital cities like Paris.

Anyway I will be in London on Wednesday and am already getting in touch with all my South African mates - so looking forward to that.
Great! Hope you have fun! Are you going to be living there long?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto