Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 07:37 PM

162 posts, read 228,809 times

Advertisements

This is my last year as a naturopathic medical student and I want to live and practice in Canada. As for obtaining a naturopathic medical license to practice in Canada, that won't be an issue. However, in order for me to work in Canada right away, I would have to get a job offer in Canada in order to obtain a work permit. The problem with a work permit is that, they last for a year. When if I don't like the hospital? When if I don't get the job? When if my work permit expires? When if I get fired and I am living in Canada, then I am out of a job and have to move back to the US? With that, I am considering, to live in Canada as a permanent resident and apply for citizenship as I work in Buffalo. I can commute back and forth. That way, I can still work in the US for an income and live in Canada in the meantime while I try to become a Canadian citizen. What do you think would be easier? I am interested in your thoughts. This is very important, because I have a year to decide. Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 10:06 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,725,072 times
Mmm.... Not sure what you are talking about? I have never heard of hospitals hiring naturopathic practitioners in Canada. I did not even realize there was legitimate licencing for that in Canada? I have only heard of people working in their own private practices.

Old 07-01-2016, 11:19 AM

287 posts, read 306,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorRock25 View Post
This is my last year as a naturopathic medical student and I want to live and practice in Canada. As for obtaining a naturopathic medical license to practice in Canada, that won't be an issue. However, in order for me to work in Canada right away, I would have to get a job offer in Canada in order to obtain a work permit. The problem with a work permit is that, they last for a year. When if I don't like the hospital? When if I don't get the job? When if my work permit expires? When if I get fired and I am living in Canada, then I am out of a job and have to move back to the US? With that, I am considering, to live in Canada as a permanent resident and apply for citizenship as I work in Buffalo. I can commute back and forth. That way, I can still work in the US for an income and live in Canada in the meantime while I try to become a Canadian citizen. What do you think would be easier? I am interested in your thoughts. This is very important, because I have a year to decide. Thank you so much!
First you need to make sure permanent residency is an option - it is much harder now than before , you can go to cic website to see if you can get the passing score to qualify

Old 07-01-2016, 06:05 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,451,713 times
You are making things way TOO complicated for yourself.

First point as KLM rocks said,,, I have lived in Canada for my entire life, and I have never heard of a hospital in Canada that hires naturopaths in any capacity.

Second point. In order to be granted a Permanent Resident status you MUST live and work IN Canada, for the first 3 years of that PR permit. Otherwise, why would you think that you could hop back and forth across the border, to work in NY and live in Ontario ? That isn't allowed.

It seems to me that you really have not thought this out completely.

Jim B.

Old 07-01-2016, 06:33 PM

287 posts, read 306,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post

First point as KLM rocks said,,, I have lived in Canada for my entire life, and I have never heard of a hospital in Canada that hires naturopaths in any capacity.

Second point. In order to be granted a Permanent Resident status you MUST live and work IN Canada, for the first 3 years of that PR permit. Otherwise, why would you think that you could hop back and forth across the border, to work in NY and live in Ontario ? That isn't allowed.

Jim B.
Your information about permanent residence is incorrect . There is no 3-year requirement in order to be granted PR. People can get PR without living a day in Canada, but once they get it and arrive in Canada , they will have to live in Canada for at least 2 years out of any 5-year period in order to maintain the PR status. And yes it is possible to work in NY and live in Ontario , as long as you spend the night in Canada - there is a residential calculator on the CIC website that is used to determine the days spent in Canada - and you will pay tax to both countries

Old 07-01-2016, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Mmm.... Not sure what you are talking about? I have never heard of hospitals hiring naturopathic practitioners in Canada. I did not even realize there was legitimate licencing for that in Canada? I have only heard of people working in their own private practices.
Yes, they do. There is one where a school does rotations in. Please do research on naturopathic medicine before you respond. Also, these private practices are hiring and I could work there. Do you know what it is? I take it from your answer, you can't answer the question. If you don't know, please stop wasting my time. Don't respond.

Last edited by DoctorRock25; 07-01-2016 at 07:52 PM..

Old 07-01-2016, 07:31 PM

Quote:

Jim B.
Yes, there are, not many. Please do a google search before responding. Hard to take you seriously if you don't read and know what you are talking about.

Did you read all my question? I have not really thought this out, that is why I am asking the question.

I am not getting any good answers here.

LOL! Um, there have been discussions here where people have hop back and forth to work from the US to Canada. Look them up. You sound ridiculous.

Last edited by DoctorRock25; 07-01-2016 at 07:40 PM..

Old 07-01-2016, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moveagain View Post
Your information about permanent residence is incorrect . There is no 3-year requirement in order to be granted PR. People can get PR without living a day in Canada, but once they get it and arrive in Canada , they will have to live in Canada for at least 2 years out of any 5-year period in order to maintain the PR status. And yes it is possible to work in NY and live in Ontario , as long as you spend the night in Canada - there is a residential calculator on the CIC website that is used to determine the days spent in Canada - and you will pay tax to both countries
Thank you very much for your post! Useful information and I will look into this further.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:45 PM

Quote:

Jim B.
Then what do you suggest? Why not help then to sit behind the computer and insult people? I came here for help. If you are not going to help, don't respond.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moveagain View Post
First you need to make sure permanent residency is an option - it is much harder now than before , you can go to cic website to see if you can get the passing score to qualify
It's an option, I qualify. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto