Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2016, 07:01 PM

766 posts, read 1,253,633 times

Advertisements

As an american, I have zero desire to visit Toronto and Chicago's skyline is way prettier as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 08:14 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,234,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
As an american, I have zero desire to visit Toronto and Chicago's skyline is way prettier as well.
You should check it out. It's a bustling, cosmopolitan city with a lot of cool neighborhoods. I personally like Toronto more than Chicago (although both are great cities).

Old 08-01-2016, 01:55 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,239,443 times
Quote:
Your loss. I guess you don't enjoy big, bustling cities?

Old 08-01-2016, 02:56 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,224,536 times
Quote:
That's very provincial of you.

Old 08-19-2016, 09:32 AM

400 posts, read 422,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Speaking of this, some guy from Chicago sent me a personal email blasting me telling me how I was a traitor for saying something negative about Chicago and positive about Toronto, asking me why all the hate.
He said that an American should never blast an American city and support a Canadian city.

In case that poster is on here, I should respond by saying that this post was not so much of a bash of Chicago, as you can see most on here could care less about Chicago, it was more about Toronto and a UK view of it.

Also, if a city in Canada is "beating" an American city, I will be the first to admit it. When Chicago has the same low murder rate as Toronto, maybe it can start growing again?

Also, please don't post messages to me directly, please respond on here.
Funny, I do that all the time but in my case I generally trash canadian cities in favour american cities. Actually, I find the built form of most american cities better executed. Buildings lining the major arterial roads, such as State Street in Chicago or upper Park Avenue have no equivalence in most of our cities, save Montreal. Those handsome stately mid century buildings are just so grand and impressive.

What makes American cities fall down in my estimation of them are the ghetto areas and their associated high crime rates, their over-dependence on the car, and their paucity of beautiful and alluring public spaces RIGHT downtown (think Union Square in SF, as an exception). I do like Rittenhouse (sp?) Square in Philadelphia very much; now that's an example of fine civic planning.

Nothing wrong to pointing at a better solution in other cities and saying..."yeah, let's have some of that here, with our unique twist on it, of course".

Old 08-19-2016, 12:34 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookyhere View Post
Funny, I do that all the time but in my case I generally trash canadian cities in favour american cities. Actually, I find the built form of most american cities better executed. Buildings lining the major arterial roads, such as State Street in Chicago or upper Park Avenue have no equivalence in most of our cities, save Montreal. Those handsome stately mid century buildings are just so grand and impressive.

What makes American cities fall down in my estimation of them are the ghetto areas and their associated high crime rates, their over-dependence on the car, and their paucity of beautiful and alluring public spaces RIGHT downtown (think Union Square in SF, as an exception). I do like Rittenhouse (sp?) Square in Philadelphia very much; now that's an example of fine civic planning.

Nothing wrong to pointing at a better solution in other cities and saying..."yeah, let's have some of that here, with our unique twist on it, of course".
I absolutely agree. Chicago, Philly etc do have nicer buildings/streets, yet those places seem to fail to attract pedestrians, probably due to the higher car culture and safety concerns. And the unfortunately have poverty stricken areas Canadians cities don't.

Old 08-21-2016, 10:34 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,171,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookyhere View Post

Exactly. Newer cities like Toronto should have the courage and vision to borrow solutions and good ideas from other cities, boldly and shamelessly if we have to. And then put our own unique twist and character on it. That's the kind of positive, forward-looking attitude that will help Toronto become a truly worldly city.

Old 08-28-2016, 08:05 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,813,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I absolutely agree. Chicago, Philly etc do have nicer buildings/streets, yet those places seem to fail to attract pedestrians, probably due to the higher car culture and safety concerns. And the unfortunately have poverty stricken areas Canadians cities don't.
You should visit Grant Park or Lincoln Park sometime. They are packed with people. The areas of Chicago and Philadelphia with nicer buildings and streets are not in high crime neighborhoods. And Chicago and Philadelphia don't really have a car culture. Chicago and Philadelphia have some of the best public transit systems in the U.S. Chicago's L + Metra vastly exceeds the Toronto public transit system in both scale, mileage and # of stations.

Old 08-28-2016, 10:59 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
Free Fusion2!!!
Awww thanks buddy but he's always been free

Just been enjoying a busy summer and keeping my online activities in check!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Where is he?
On summer break lol... You should only ask me where I am btw......

I just picked peaches today in Niagara-on-the-lake with my partner.. If you're in the Toronto area again I highly recommend visiting the Niagara area - its very close (essentially a satellite of the GTA) - great peaches too!

Last edited by fusion2; 08-29-2016 at 12:19 AM..

Old 08-28-2016, 11:41 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
That's very provincial of you.
Toronto's visitation numbers across the board - day trips, overnight visitors both domestic and abroad are very healthy so no sweat at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillinthesouth View Post
You should check it out. It's a bustling, cosmopolitan city with a lot of cool neighborhoods. I personally like Toronto more than Chicago (although both are great cities).
Underlined... Agreed! Best for people who do visit the city to have an open mind and no preconceived notions. Just enjoy it for what it is and dispel the need to compare it to anything.... Most people who visit it enjoy what it has to offer.

Last edited by fusion2; 08-29-2016 at 12:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto