Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Move to Toronto, Chicago, New York or Seattle?
Toronto 3 50.00%
New York 3 50.00%
Chicago 1 16.67%
Seattle 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 09:57 AM

934 posts, read 1,435,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate Moonstone View Post
Oh god, no. Chicago is an extremely provincial city with an attitude. It thinks it's a little NY, but it's actually a big Milwaukee. If you didn't go to a Big 10 school in the US, then you'll have basically nothing in common with the people there, as all they care about is sports and getting obliterated with alcohol. It's basically a playground for white Midwestern transplants, who move there for 3-10 years after college so they can party with their frat/sorority friends, but as soon as they have their first kid they either move to the suburbs or go back to Ohio because it's cheaper and Mom can babysit. The vast majority of white people in Chicago have absolutely zero interest in the city as a long-term going concern, as long as they don't get shot and their condo isn't underwater. And the public services reflect that.
This would be accurate if the entire city limits were inside Wrigleyville. None of the above applies to most of the neighborhoods around Chicago. I live in Rogers Park, and this doesn't apply at all. Very ethnically diverse, low crime, nice beaches, good local food, easy transit to the city, etc.

To the OP, how likely is it you will be able to work in the US? One poster pointed out the difficulty in obtaining a job when your not a citizen which is dead on. Toronto is not a bad choice. It definitely is a vibrant city with a nice low crime rate. However, if you can get a job in the US, I would not rule out Chicago. From an urban planning perspective and in terms of architecture, it is one of the better North American cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 10:36 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,698,052 times
I am going to seem harsh by saying this but I think it is something you need to hear. I can't speak directly to all the places on your list, but the job market in major cities like Toronto are very competitive. You seem much more concerned about what you are going to do for fun, then how you will be supporting yourself. If finding employed and income is not that big of a deal for you then any of these cities should meet your needs.

However if you actually need a job to pay for housing and recreation then you might actually want to start looking for work and focusing on that aspect before just assuming you will be able to find good employement in any of these places. Being in a great city and having no money to pay for taking part in the wonderful things going on in the city kind of sucks.

You might want to actually try to visiting some of these places with your boy freind before making that jump. Culture in North America and Europe are not the same and he might want to get a taste of what he is getting himself in to before making the move.

Myself and one of my freinds both meet and married men outside of Canada and then wanted to live in Canada. Her husband moved from England to Canada and it was a lot to get use.

My husband went from living a very Mediterranean lifestyle where sitting in cafes drinking expresso several times a day and eating 3 sit down meals a day with freinds and family to living in a Major North American city where things are go ... go ... go and he really REALLY dislikes it here.

You might want to sit him down and make sure he understands the work culture in North American Major cities if he does not already know about this. Ex only children take naps in the day in North American cities !

Old 01-10-2017, 11:04 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,649,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I am going to seem harsh by saying this but I think it is something you need to hear. I can't speak directly to all the places on your list, but the job market in major cities like Toronto are very competitive. You seem much more concerned about what you are going to do for fun, then how you will be supporting yourself. If finding employed and income is not that big of a deal for you then any of these cities should meet your needs.

However if you actually need a job to pay for housing and recreation then you might actually want to start looking for work and focusing on that aspect before just assuming you will be able to find good employement in any of these places. Being in a great city and having no money to pay for taking part in the wonderful things going on in the city kind of sucks.

You might want to actually try to visiting some of these places with your boy freind before making that jump. Culture in North America and Europe are not the same and he might want to get a taste of what he is getting himself in to before making the move.

Myself and one of my freinds both meet and married men outside of Canada and then wanted to live in Canada. Her husband moved from England to Canada and it was a lot to get use.

My husband went from living a very Mediterranean lifestyle where sitting in cafes drinking expresso several times a day and eating 3 sit down meals a day with freinds and family to living in a Major North American city where things are go ... go ... go and he really REALLY dislikes it here.

You might want to sit him down and make sure he understands the work culture in North American Major cities if he does not already know about this. Ex only children take naps in the day in North American cities !
Not all North American cities have the same work culture and the "Go Go Go" mentality. Montreal and Vancouver seem to have a much better work life balance overall compared to Toronto. If this is important to the OP, I suggest they look at these cities as well.

Old 01-10-2017, 04:01 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,698,052 times
Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Not all North American cities have the same work culture and the "Go Go Go" mentality. Montreal and Vancouver seem to have a much better work life balance overall compared to Toronto. If this is important to the OP, I suggest they look at these cities as well.

Agree. There are other cities in Canda and in North America that are more layed back... Toronto and New York City are not like that unless you have lots money and dont need to be making money.

Old 01-11-2017, 04:08 PM

15,106 posts, read 15,795,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Agree. There are other cities in Canda and in North America that are more layed back... Toronto and New York City are not like that unless you have lots money and dont need to be making money.
I think it really depends on the nature of the work you do. If you own your own business (especially if you are a start up) or are a workaholic than sure everything is go go go.. You have people like this in Montreal and Vancouver as well. I'm in a union and work 37.5 hours a week and have 5 weeks vacation and live in Toronto - I work hard at work but when I leave my 9-5 I leave it. So my work/life balance is great actually. I'm not sure how different Montreal and Vancouver would be from Toronto for most workers tbh. I think people just assume its like this in Toronto simply because its a bigger city than Mon/Van, instead of it being rooted in reality for most workers. Now if you are talking somewhere else with a completely different culture than yes, I would say that is probably true that you can make some generalities on a cultural/social level but i'm not buying it on an appreciable level in larger Canadian cities.

Old 01-11-2017, 04:14 PM

15,106 posts, read 15,795,941 times
Speaking of which to the OP - why don't you just plan a vacation in Toronto and rent an Airbnb in DT T.O for a week or two and get to know the city and get a feel for its vibe. Talk to some locals and get their impression along with your own observations. I think Toronto is a great city to live that checks off a lot of boxes nicely but that is my opinion. Getting others' opinion on an online forum is a decent first step - but if you're actually serious I suggest you follow my recommendations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto