Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Move to Toronto, Chicago, New York or Seattle?
Toronto 3 50.00%
New York 3 50.00%
Chicago 1 16.67%
Seattle 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 02:56 PM

7 posts, read 4,851 times

Advertisements

Hello! I was born in Edmonton, but have been living in Italy for the last 3 years (since my parents are born here). I am an architect/industrial designer, while my Swedish boyfriend is a graphic designer. Originally we were going to stay in Europe, but lately I am missing a super big modern city feel, that has some character as well.

I absolutely love the old architecture in NYC and Chicago, but don't consider them practical to live in at all, mainly NYC for costs and competition, while Chicago only for safety. I'm also a Canadian citizen, so it will be easier for me to live in Toronto.

SO, I am wondering, will I suit Toronto? Both of us are highly interested in design, good nightlife considering jazz/blues bars, good food, good music and theater scene. We also love the mixture of modern and old, plus aspects of nature, like how Vancouver has many trees even downtown, for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 03:11 PM

295 posts, read 263,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyza View Post
Hello! I was born in Edmonton, but have been living in Italy for the last 3 years (since my parents are born here). I am an architect/industrial designer, while my Swedish boyfriend is a graphic designer. Originally we were going to stay in Europe, but lately I am missing a super big modern city feel, that has some character as well.

I absolutely love the old architecture in NYC and Chicago, but don't consider them practical to live in at all, mainly NYC for costs and competition, while Chicago only for safety. I'm also a Canadian citizen, so it will be easier for me to live in Toronto.

SO, I am wondering, will I suit Toronto? Both of us are highly interested in design, good nightlife considering jazz/blues bars, good food, good music and theater scene. We also love the mixture of modern and old, plus aspects of nature, like how Vancouver has many trees even downtown, for example.
Why not Montreal?

Old 12-28-2016, 04:25 PM

Although the character seems nice in Montreal, I need a grander and larger city. I have been living in florence and it is way too cloister phobic for me unfortunately..

Old 12-28-2016, 04:52 PM

295 posts, read 263,949 times
Quote:
Although the character seems nice in Montreal, I need a grander and larger city. I have been living in florence and it is way too cloister phobic for me unfortunately..
Then maybe Timmins - I heard it has one of the largest areas in the world

Old 12-30-2016, 05:35 AM

178 posts, read 523,817 times
Definitely not Toronto.

Out of all of them I would pick Chicago. I moved to Kiev, Ukraine (not really Europe, but still) and it's night and day compared to Toronto. Amazing night life, decent entertainment scene, arts scene...And lots and lots of character. Completely different social dynamics, social structure and interaction between men and women. Different culture. Things are more "in your face" and people seem to be more excited about life. It's hard to put my finger on it.

Like I said, night and day compared to North America.

Old 12-30-2016, 06:55 AM

Thanks Architext. Do you think Chicago is far more advanced than Toronto when it comes to things to do/arts/theater scene.. all of that? I just keep hearing about how dangerous Chicago is And I know my boyfriend would not move there just for that. However I think Chicago has the best architecture and character out of all of the cities.

It's crazy how different Europe is than America. I love Europe too, it is like noght and day. I think after a year or two of living in Canada I will go back..

I've just been getting tired of Europe lately. It has so much beauty but not the same kind of functionality as you would find in Canada or US. It's been feeling a bit tiring lately. One of those cities like London or Copenhagen would be great for Design, but there the competition and expenses is just sky high, and you will always feel like a foreigner there, not so good for the start of my career.

Old 12-30-2016, 07:50 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times
Quote:

Toronto is a nice place to live, but do not go for the "old architecture". Toronto's architecture is pretty lacking IMO. It is not comparable to NYC or chicago at all and will never be. If there is anything that Toronto seriously lacks, one is good public transit, the second is beauty (including nice buildings and public space).

You will find other aspects you mentioned in Toronto, just not architecture. Yes, there are some good ones but in general, the city doesnt have good taste.

Also, Toronto is not really a "super big modern city". Its low rise suburbans consistutes about 80 percent of it. Some people like the quiet village feel, some don't. Each to his own.

Old 12-30-2016, 07:58 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architext View Post
Definitely not Toronto.

Out of all of them I would pick Chicago. I moved to Kiev, Ukraine (not really Europe, but still) and it's night and day compared to Toronto. Amazing night life, decent entertainment scene, arts scene...And lots and lots of character. Completely different social dynamics, social structure and interaction between men and women. Different culture. Things are more "in your face" and people seem to be more excited about life. It's hard to put my finger on it.

Like I said, night and day compared to North America.
North America is definitely more suburbs driven. Most people spend the vast majority of their time in their suburban home doing God knows what. Toronto as a metropolis of 6M, is busy only on a few streets (fewer than 10 even in the summer). The rest is dead quiet and peaceful most of the year.

People from Europe should not be misled by North American cities' population. You need to divide the population by 4 or 5 to compare with a European city. For example, Toronto has 6M, but it is more comparable to a EU city with 1.5 million people in terms of the "big city feel". Ottawa is more comparable to a European city with 200-250,000 people (metro area) despite its population of 1M.

Europeans are more excited about life, most North Americans are more excited about their suburban homes (everything happens there, not on the street).

Quote:
There is no such thing as grandeur in Canada. It is harsh but it is true.

If Toulouse or Turin were located in Canada, they would be by far the grandest cities.

Google Dundas Square, and Queen st W Toronto for pictures. The first is the Toronto's most important public square and the latter is the busiest commercial drag. If you think they are grand, then Toronto is for you.

Canadian cities have no grandeur to speak of. Quaint is more appropriate. Toronto may be a lot bigger than Montreal, but it is no grander by any means.

Old 12-30-2016, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
North America is definitely more suburbs driven. Most people spend the vast majority of their time in their suburban home doing God knows what. Toronto as a metropolis of 6M, is busy only on a few streets (fewer than 10 even in the summer). The rest is dead quiet and peaceful most of the year.

People from Europe should not be misled by North American cities' population. You need to divide the population by 4 or 5 to compare with a European city. For example, Toronto has 6M, but it is more comparable to a EU city with 1.5 million people in terms of the "big city feel". Ottawa is more comparable to a European city with 200-250,000 people (metro area) despite its population of 1M.

Europeans are more excited about life, most North Americans are more excited about their suburban homes (everything happens there, not on the street).

Thats what I always about when living in Canada we lived in the suburbs, most depressing 19 years of my life. However from now on I will always want to live downtown in the heart of everything because it gives me more life and I feel more free. I'm sure once I have children this will alter, but for now I need to live in the center of it all.

Old 12-30-2016, 08:09 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,509,707 times
I second Montreal over Toronto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto