Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2017, 01:58 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,722,245 times

Advertisements

Compare these two affluent suburban "towns."

RH is much more multicultural, while Oakville is more WASPy and has a nice lakefront.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 09:39 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Can't be compared... really depend what you like. Both are boring suburbs with laughable so called "downtowns", but a Chinese person would definitely choose RH because Oakville has nothing special for them, while a WASP probably choose the latter.

I of course will choose none. I would rather live at Moss Park than Oakville.

Old 01-05-2017, 10:27 AM

5,897 posts, read 6,102,230 times
My parents live in Oakville and looking at who's buying the big multi-million dollar homes in their neighbourhood, I'd say it's at least 25%, if not 50% Chinese. Maybe it's like Western Vancouver, with wealthy Chinese wanting to buy homes the most prestigious areas even if it's fairly WASP dominated. Although that process started probably a couple decades ago in West Vancouver vs in SE Oakville I'd say it only started about 5 years ago.

North Oakville is relatively multi-cultural. As of the 2011 census there weren't any census tracts where whites weren't a majority, although there are some that are only 60-70%, and there probably will be some <50% with the 2016 census. There aren't really any ethnic enclaves though, just a mix of ethnic groups relatively representative of the Western GTA (ex more Blacks and South Asians and fewer Chinese compared to York Region). Kerr St area used to be the blue-collar European immigrant area, and still is, but now there seems to be quite a few Filipinos living there too (nannies at the mansions nearby?). SW Oakville like Bronte seems fairly WASPy still. Generally speaking, you are seeing an increasing difference between Oakville and Burlington, with Oakville being more influenced by Toronto with Toronto money and Toronto immigrants, even though it's still less immigrant dominated than Richmond Hill.

Old 01-06-2017, 02:50 PM

2,618 posts, read 1,504,387 times
Oakville. Grew up there.

Old 01-08-2017, 11:26 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,273,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theterribleone View Post
Oakville. Grew up there.
Agree.

Oakville is the best.

I'm surprised at how expensive homes up in Richmond Hill have gotten.
While it's nice, it's no Oakville.....Oakville has the Lake and a charming downtown,
SE Oakville is primo, big homes, big lots, leafy.

Old 01-08-2017, 06:16 PM

295 posts, read 263,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Agree.

Oakville is the best.

I'm surprised at how expensive homes up in Richmond Hill have gotten.
While it's nice, it's no Oakville.....Oakville has the Lake and a charming downtown,
SE Oakville is primo, big homes, big lots, leafy.
Richmond Hill is full of rich Chinese and Iranians, parking their money here and inflating the prices... Otherwise it is another boring suburb without exciting features...

Old 01-09-2017, 01:55 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_wanderer View Post
Richmond Hill is full of rich Chinese and Iranians, parking their money here and inflating the prices... Otherwise it is another boring suburb without exciting features...
Oakville is just a wasp neighbourhood for the whites to park their wealth, is it not? How many of Oakville's homeowners bought those houses with their own income, instead of inheriting from parents?

And you think Oakville is not boring?
Charming downtown? That few streets with some generic retail is not worth 15 minutes walk.

Both are boring as hell. The Chinese love Richmond Hill for the great Asian food, and you like Oakville because of the typical WASP-ness. Neither is better than their other.

Old 01-09-2017, 02:48 AM

295 posts, read 263,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Oakville is just a wasp neighbourhood for the whites to park their wealth, is it not? How many of Oakville's homeowners bought those houses with their own income, instead of inheriting from parents?

And you think Oakville is not boring?
Charming downtown? That few streets with some generic retail is not worth 15 minutes walk.

Both are boring as hell. The Chinese love Richmond Hill for the great Asian food, and you like Oakville because of the typical WASP-ness. Neither is better than their other.
Never been to Oakville, but I can imagine it is not really exciting either. The most non-boring place for me in Toronto is Pearson International, but maybe because I became spoiled with non-boring things after living several years in Bangkok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto