Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would Canada in Toronto seek a new UN Headquarters?
Yes, why not. 8 42.11%
Yes, Canada is already Neutral and a good choice. But with stipulations in controls. 1 5.26%
Doubtful in a US power-play of pressure. 1 5.26%
No Way. 9 47.37%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 04:46 PM

287 posts, read 306,660 times

Advertisements

Hahahaha, the second question is so funny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 06:56 PM

412 posts, read 386,041 times
Bet Trump loses that vote. If it even comes up.

Old 03-04-2017, 06:15 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Apparently, it's a NO but Canada is as a Conjoined twin with the US? I doubt most Canadians see it that way or close? But seems to be what you infer? As in if the US left NATO via Trump (just for a comparison and unlikely possibility) ? Apparently to you Canada would just follow the leader?

Should I assume you are a newbie Canadian without a sense of Nationalism yet? Also a nation or city that gained a new UN Headquarters? Would NOT have a criteria to be similar to a NYC. If anything though??? If it were Toronto. I'd bet some would declare Toronto HAS attained a level of a NYC? Just by comments in the US forums I've seen. The claiming of Toronto is already 4th in US city extended metro's would have some say in level of importance Toronto with a UN would jump to a #2 in NA at least? In their eyes.
I think the likelihood that The UN would move to Canada is pretty slim..

1) Canada is not a permanent member of the Security Council
2) Its not even currently on the Security Council as a temporary member
3) Canada is not a great power and thus doesn't hold enough sway
4) Canada used to engage in far more peacekeeping missions than it does these days - we are no longer the country of Lester B Pearson and yes - largely we do follow the U.S' lead in foreign affairs - particularly in the last decade.

That said IF Canada were chosen I would posit that Toronto would be the best choice in Canada

1) It is the largest city in the country

but

2) More importantly, it is the most ethnically diverse city in the country by far and one of the most in the world. I think this is why people would put Toronto in the running but nationally Canada just isn't 'there'

Old 03-10-2017, 05:09 PM

412 posts, read 386,041 times
I think Geneva is probably still where the UN should be.

Old 03-15-2017, 04:58 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,770,752 times
I think Switzerland would be the first choice because the UN already has property over there and is popular with leaders from all over the world. Heck even if the US doesn't leave the UN, I still think Switzerland is the right place. I personally wouldn't be against Toronto or Montreal being the headquarters but an organization like the UN might be more secure away from an urbanized location. I don't know how much it spends on security down in NYC but I bet it is not cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto