Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would Canada in Toronto seek a new UN Headquarters?
Yes, why not. 8 42.11%
Yes, Canada is already Neutral and a good choice. But with stipulations in controls. 1 5.26%
Doubtful in a US power-play of pressure. 1 5.26%
No Way. 9 47.37%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 09:18 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,243,209 times

Advertisements

Trump: Congress To Vote On Bill To Leave The UN - Your News Wire

The US Congress would have to vote as the link explains. Perhaps Canada would stay neutral, or could it be open to a UN move to Canada? Flexing its independence of US choices? having Montreal or Toronto seek a new UN Headquarters??

Seems anything is possible these days? Some input of Canada's and Toronto's possibility as a Switzerland or sorts and a neutral fully independent nation? Instead of possibly seen as a US conjoined twin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 09:25 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Trump: Congress To Vote On Bill To Leave The UN - Your News Wire

The US Congress would have to vote as the link explains. Perhaps Canada would stay neutral, or could it be open to a UN move to Canada? Flexing its independence of US choices? having Montreal or Toronto seek a new UN Headquarters??

Seems anything is possible these days? Some input of Canada's and Toronto's possibility as a Switzerland or sorts and a neutral fully independent nation? Instead of possibly seen as a US conjoined twin?
If the UN moves to Canada, it'd likely be to Montreal, we lobbied for that in 2007 and still have that convenient site ready to go.

Will the UN move to Montreal - and how will it affect the waterfront? - Spacing Montreal

If the UN wants to come, fine, we should even court them, but no need to retreat from the world and become a neutral nation to do it. I'd rather help shape the world in this new era, Switzerland still exists, earth doesn't need another one.

Old 01-25-2017, 10:25 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,726,194 times
Are we offically being asked?

I am okay with that. Hopefully it will get porter airlines to starting going to more locations outside of Canada !

I think we would be an appropriate choice !

Go Toronto !

Old 01-25-2017, 12:59 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
This is dreaming.

First, suppose the US does quit the UN (I certainly hope so), the headquaters won't move to Toronto because Toronto doesn't have the prestige. There are litterally dozens of cities that can compete. since North America excluding the US is a small lightweight (we have half of France, Mexico and a bunch of islands?), there is slim possibility that will happen.

What makes it more laughable is the idea that Canada is "neutral". Since when? Canada has been busy fighting both world wars, and never stopped following the US meddling other countries' business. It is less talked about because its influence is limited if not close to nothing. So to pretend we are this neutral nation ("stay neutral? when is it neutral?) suitable to acommodate the UN is just ridiculous. If you want to be neutral, be neutral.

Third, nobody in the world think of Toronto as NYC's twin. I don't think I need to elaborate.

Also we forgot the fact that without the US, the entire west will be significantly weaker, so just to assume the UN will remain within a western country itself is a bit optimistic.

Old 01-25-2017, 01:01 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Again, "Canada is already neutral", since which year exactly?? Just can't help laughing. OP must know every little about Canada, or international affairs.

Old 01-25-2017, 07:20 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,243,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
This is dreaming.

First, suppose the US does quit the UN (I certainly hope so), the headquaters won't move to Toronto because Toronto doesn't have the prestige.
What makes it more laughable is the idea that Canada is "neutral". Since when? Canada has been busy fighting both world wars, and never stopped following the US meddling other countries' business. It is less talked about because its influence is limited if not close to nothing. So to pretend we are this neutral nation ("stay neutral? when is it neutral?) suitable to acommodate the UN is just ridiculous. If you want to be neutral, be neutral.

Third, nobody in the world think of Toronto as NYC's twin. I don't think I need to elaborate.

Also we forgot the fact that without the US, the entire west will be significantly weaker, so just to assume the UN will remain within a western country itself is a bit optimistic.
Apparently, it's a NO but Canada is as a Conjoined twin with the US? I doubt most Canadians see it that way or close? But seems to be what you infer? As in if the US left NATO via Trump (just for a comparison and unlikely possibility) ? Apparently to you Canada would just follow the leader?

Should I assume you are a newbie Canadian without a sense of Nationalism yet? Also a nation or city that gained a new UN Headquarters? Would NOT have a criteria to be similar to a NYC. If anything though??? If it were Toronto. I'd bet some would declare Toronto HAS attained a level of a NYC? Just by comments in the US forums I've seen. The claiming of Toronto is already 4th in US city extended metro's would have some say in level of importance Toronto with a UN would jump to a #2 in NA at least? In their eyes.

Old 01-25-2017, 10:33 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,411,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
First, suppose the US does quit the UN (I certainly hope so), the headquaters won't move to Toronto because Toronto doesn't have the prestige. There are litterally dozens of cities that can compete. since North America excluding the US is a small lightweight (we have half of France, Mexico and a bunch of islands?), there is slim possibility that will happen.
I don't know. Toronto seems an ideal location: multicultural, dozens of languages spoken daily on the streets, restaurants catering to tastes from around the world, festivals celebrating cultures from around the world. I think UN delegates and their staffers would do well in Toronto.

Quote:
Agree. Canada has never been "neutral," and its military has punched above their weight in the conflicts in which Canada has found itself--even in "peacekeeping" missions.

But the US has hosted the UN in New York for years, and the US was very obviously aligned with the free world; and yet, allowed the USSR's Nikita Khruschev in to speak at the UN, and Cuba's Fidel Castro--I'm unsure why the host nation's "neutrality" matters.

Quote:
You don't. Nobody thinks Toronto is NYC's twin (except perhaps a few deluded Torontonians). But similarly, nobody thinks London is NYC's twin either. Or Singapore, or Paris, or Tokyo, or any other of a number of world cities.

The fact is, that each city is unique. No city is exactly like another. And with that being said, I've never met anybody in my travels who doesn't know a little about Toronto. Whether it's mistakenly thinking that it's Canada's capital, or knowing that it's the home base of Canada's banking and finance industry, they know of Toronto.

IMHO, if the UN relocates, Toronto would be an ideal location.

Old 01-26-2017, 12:11 AM

1,147 posts, read 718,148 times
Toronto is a city of the future. It has gradually become more relevant over the past few years.

Old 01-26-2017, 06:44 PM

2,618 posts, read 1,504,387 times
yes.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:24 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
The UN already has a big campus in Geneva, Switzerland. Why would they not transfer their HQ there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto