Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 06:55 PM

412 posts, read 382,975 times

Advertisements

OK, this is fan talk. I've been to Toronto several times. First couple of times relating to Bollywood. One of the biggest tourist assets of Toronto to me is the huge South Asian population. Probably never would have gone had I not talked to some Torontans online. But once I was there, once I booked a room in downtown and visited Little India on Gerrard Street (haven't written that in years, so maybe I spelled it wrong), I was kind of hooked. Also, I'd never visited any city with comparable public transportation, so that was a whole adventure for me, too. On my several trips, I've visited other tourist sites like the zoo, Yorkville, the Royal Ontario Museum. Took a double decker bus tour. Encountered a Romanian festival downtown (didn't even know in departing that it was scheduled. Went to a concert in Air Canada hall. Walked from there to Eglington to catch a bus at 2am. Got a veggie dog at 2am from a vendor who was still selling (nothing to a New Yorker probably, but new to me). So I had more than enough to do in my relatively short stays. Only reason I haven't gone in recent years is that I'm dedicated to a visit to Montreal first. I went to St John's New Brunswick and Halifax Nova Scotia in the 1980's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 08:42 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,681,854 times
Toronto does have a large South Asian population. Little India is pretty cool.... but there are pockets of Indian groceries and stores scattered all over the city due to the size of the population which does not mainly live around Little India. This on cool feature of Toronto you can walk in to certain areas of the city and also feel like you are in a different part of the world. You get a taste of the world in one city. In my opinion June to September are the best months to visit. You also have many things going on in the city. Lost of free excellent events too. Happy to hear you enjoyed your Toronto visit.

Old 01-28-2017, 01:38 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,648,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTimeSEALover View Post
Also, I'd never visited any city with comparable public transportation, so that was a whole adventure for me, too.
You haven't visited any city with "comparable public transportation"? Where did you live, Mars?

what about any random European or East Asian city?

Old 01-28-2017, 01:14 PM

412 posts, read 382,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
You haven't visited any city with "comparable public transportation"? Where did you live, Mars?

what about any random European or East Asian city?
Wow, did you THINK about what your responded to? "I haven't visited". I don't have to live on another PLANET to not have visited all the places you are mentioning. Wide travel is EXPENSIVE. And it involves a lot of interaction with security people. There is a laundry list of reasons for restricted travel. It doesn't require a ton of working brain cells to go from the oriiginal statement to the reasons. Is this some demented "I'm better than you" outburst? Again, I haven't visited a city with an equivalent system. Oh, I should say I passed through New York making a JFK connection to Europe. And actually Charles De Gaulle, too. But I spend only a couple of hours at the Paris airport. Had my schedule involved even a day of Paris tourism, I would likely have not made my statement. So i grant many travelers have visited some cities in Europe and maybe in Asia with superior transit. But I simply stated a fact in precise language. See, there are SOME cities I don't even WANT to linger in. Some of you may crave days in New York, London, or Paris. I really don't. Given a choice, I'd spend those days in Plovdiv Bulgaria. If you haven't been there, well, the shoe's on the other foot.

Old 02-01-2017, 10:44 PM

4,866 posts, read 10,481,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTimeSEALover View Post
Wow, did you THINK about what your responded to? "I haven't visited". I don't have to live on another PLANET to not have visited all the places you are mentioning. Wide travel is EXPENSIVE. And it involves a lot of interaction with security people. There is a laundry list of reasons for restricted travel. It doesn't require a ton of working brain cells to go from the oriiginal statement to the reasons. Is this some demented "I'm better than you" outburst? Again, I haven't visited a city with an equivalent system. Oh, I should say I passed through New York making a JFK connection to Europe. And actually Charles De Gaulle, too. But I spend only a couple of hours at the Paris airport. Had my schedule involved even a day of Paris tourism, I would likely have not made my statement. So i grant many travelers have visited some cities in Europe and maybe in Asia with superior transit. But I simply stated a fact in precise language. See, there are SOME cities I don't even WANT to linger in. Some of you may crave days in New York, London, or Paris. I really don't. Given a choice, I'd spend those days in Plovdiv Bulgaria. If you haven't been there, well, the shoe's on the other foot.
Don't mind Botti, it isn't personal, reminding everyone we live in provincial backwater and that it's outrageous not to view the world from his outsider's perspective is one of his hobbies.

Old 02-02-2017, 06:57 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,155,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimbam View Post
don't mind botti, it isn't personal, reminding everyone we live in provincial backwater and that it's outrageous not to view the world from his outsider's perspective is one of his hobbies.
+1

Old 02-02-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Don't mind Botti, it isn't personal, reminding everyone we live in provincial backwater and that it's outrageous not to view the world from his outsider's perspective is one of his hobbies.
Yes, couldn't miss the chance!

Old 02-04-2017, 11:57 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,259,437 times
Toronto, for a big, transit-oriented city, has pretty mediocre public transportation. There are like 2 downtown subway lines, commuter rail is pretty bare-bones, and trolleys and buses are old and painfully slow. Unless your point of comparison is Detroit or something, I don't see how someone can come away overly impressed with Toronto PT.

Old 02-04-2017, 11:33 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,227,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Toronto, for a big, transit-oriented city, has pretty mediocre public transportation. There are like 2 downtown subway lines, commuter rail is pretty bare-bones, and trolleys and buses are old and painfully slow. Unless your point of comparison is Detroit or something, I don't see how someone can come away overly impressed with Toronto PT.
You're leaving out things such as ridership, subway headways, frequency of service on bus, streetcar and commuter rail routes and number of 24 hour bus and streetcar routes -- when you take all that stuff into account, Toronto comes out near the top among North American cities.

Old 02-05-2017, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
You're leaving out things such as ridership, subway headways, frequency of service on bus, streetcar and commuter rail routes and number of 24 hour bus and streetcar routes -- when you take all that stuff into account, Toronto comes out near the top among North American cities.
As emphasized many times, that is a very very low bar.

Toronto is a city of 6M people. Compared it with other cities with 4-8 million people in the world, not much smaller cities in transit-poor North America.

I am glad it is improving, although hardly quick enough to meet the demand. By world standard, it is mediocre. By rich country standard, it is weak. The TTC actually has fewer subways stops than Bangkok (in a country with per capita GDP of less than 6000$)

Buses? I don't even want to go there. It is something third world countries may boast about. We all know how fast buses run during rush hours.

TTC has a great streetcar system, however, the city refuses to let it operate efficiently due to the mixed traffic and excessively tight stop spacing (about 200m).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto