Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 12:02 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Okay. So I guess I am getting a helmet. I want to be able to ride for a long time. Ex at least 30 minutes. I am going to try to get a seat pad or somethign like that. I have more then enough natural coverage in that area... but clearly more soft tissue then muscle so I need to work on getting that calous developing.

Even though you should wear a helmet ... do you legally have to? I work in a part of downtown with lots of people riding bikes and lots are not wearing helmets.

In Toronto if you're over 18 apparently it's not legally required.

Personally I think it should be required of all ages. I know that in BC it's legally required of people of all ages, but I do often see some people not wearing them. Here, it's usually the homeless, street people, dumpster divers and rebellious teenagers that I see riding without them.

Here's the Safety rules for cycling in Toronto:

Quote:

Safety & Education - Cycling - Transportation | City of Toronto

Helmets

In Toronto, adults over the age of 18 are not required by law to wear a helmet. Children, and young adults (18 and under) are required by law to wear a helmet while cycling.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 02:38 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,171,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
San Jose is a lot like Toronto: generally suburban but will a great downtown. Both downtowns are booming: lots of high rise housing, lots of offices and great overall boom!
Umm what? San Jose and Toronto are a lot like each other, like exactly in what way? Yes San Jose has a light rail running through its downtown, surrounded by a spiderweb of freeways, and some office buildings that nobody will ever recognize. Seriously is this a joke? lol.

Downtown San Jose:

This is North York, a suburb of Toronto, located at the north edge of the city, nearly 30 km from downtown proper:

Old 06-09-2017, 08:09 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,069,942 times
There's a cycling section in the driver's handbook that most drivers learn to ignore...I suggest you dig that one out of the closet.

Old 06-10-2017, 06:44 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,922,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Umm what? San Jose and Toronto are a lot like each other, like exactly in what way? Yes San Jose has a light rail running through its downtown, surrounded by a spiderweb of freeways, and some office buildings that nobody will ever recognize. Seriously is this a joke? lol.

Downtown San Jose:

This is North York, a suburb of Toronto, located at the north edge of the city, nearly 30 km from downtown proper:
Nice cheap shot! This photo is so dated:1997. Show current, please.

Old 06-12-2017, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Nice cheap shot! This photo is so dated:1997. Show current, please.
Honestly, there just ain't enough skyline shots of San Jose. There's really nothing iconic or outstanding about it.

I did a google search of the words "San Jose Downtown Skyline 2016" - and this is the "best" one could find from 2016, and I'm sorry, but even Toronto's outlying suburbs like Mississauga can do better than this "downtown": (and if you think you can find better shots of San Jose and how it is such an urban mecca, by all means post the image and show us as I'd love to be proven wrong on this)

Old 06-13-2017, 12:55 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,922,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Honestly, there just ain't enough skyline shots of San Jose. There's really nothing iconic or outstanding about it.

I did a google search of the words "San Jose Downtown Skyline 2016" - and this is the "best" one could find from 2016, and I'm sorry, but even Toronto's outlying suburbs like Mississauga can do better than this "downtown": (and if you think you can find better shots of San Jose and how it is such an urban mecca, by all means post the image and show us as I'd love to be proven wrong on this)
Better and they're still building towers downtown. However, it doesn't show city hall and library buildings/tower. It doesn't show the arena and San Jose St, too.

Old 06-13-2017, 02:10 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Kind of pointless and really way off topic, but here's 220 aerial views of San Jose.

Aerial View City San Jose Stock Photos & Aerial View City San Jose Stock Images - Alamy

Old 06-13-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Kind of pointless and really way off topic, but here's 220 aerial views of San Jose.

Aerial View City San Jose Stock Photos & Aerial View City San Jose Stock Images - Alamy

Thanks!

Funny thing is that whenever you search for San Jose images - the overwhelming majority are San Jose Costa Rica. Let's not kid ourselves - no one goes to San Jose for its urbanity or density or vibrancy.

Old 06-13-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Better and they're still building towers downtown. However, it doesn't show city hall and library buildings/tower. It doesn't show the arena and San Jose St, too.
Sure I'm by no means an expert on San Jose, so why don't you quit stalling and enlighten everyone on here and actually provide a few "accurate" shots of San Jose downtown?

Old 06-13-2017, 10:41 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
runs by Nov. this year! (Barryessa district station) and to downtown by 2025 hopefully.

San Jose is a lot like Toronto: generally suburban but will a great downtown. Both downtowns are booming: lots of high rise housing, lots of offices and great overall boom!
Toronto has lots of suburban form i'll grant you that but it also has a lot of stuff like this around its DT core. Probably safe to say you won't find something like this in S.J.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ2XF7cva3s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto