Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 09:27 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
What cities fit this mold?
Beijing? Shanghai? Hong Kong? Taipei? Seoul?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 11:33 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,174,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
In large part, it's political rhetoric delivered in the form of a marketing scheme. Vote me in and "I'll lower your already-too-high-taxes." In reality, the American experience is "a la carte". If you starve yourself of the sides, you can have a remarkably high quality meal for cheap. But that sucks over the long-run because you can't live like that forever.

Our transportation, education and healthcare are all too expensive respective to quality because we do not contribute and invest enough. Part of it is fiscal responsibility as well (war is expensive!). Regardless, other countries will continue to pass us in those areas and that will greatly affect the QOL for Americans (it already has).
On the one end, I agree that Canadian and U.S. taxation levels are more outliers than the norm in the context of western industrialized societies. Taxation for your average joe in Canada/U.S. is actually quite simple - a nominal sales tax (in some provinces/states not even that) and an annual income tax. For corporations, both Canada and the U.S. offer some of the lowest corporate tax rates in the world when you factor in the myriad of exemptions and deductions. Canadian corporate tax rates are already at an all time low today compared with 1970s and 80s levels. So, this prevailing "our taxes are too high" rhetoric really doesn't stand up to scrutiny when you look at the actual taxes paid by corporations as a proportion of their revenue.

On the other end, I also see and sympathize with the fact that a good portion of the dollars collected by our governments are not well spent. I'm not implying that there is ingrained corruption - but rather the careless manner in which taxpayer dollars are being utilized by certain government agencies simply because it is part of their "allotted annual budget" (with the mentality that if you don't spend it this year your departmental budget may get axed the following fiscal year).

Old 11-29-2017, 12:52 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
On the one end, I agree that Canadian and U.S. taxation levels are more outliers than the norm in the context of western industrialized societies. Taxation for your average joe in Canada/U.S. is actually quite simple - a nominal sales tax (in some provinces/states not even that) and an annual income tax. For corporations, both Canada and the U.S. offer some of the lowest corporate tax rates in the world when you factor in the myriad of exemptions and deductions. Canadian corporate tax rates are already at an all time low today compared with 1970s and 80s levels. So, this prevailing "our taxes are too high" rhetoric really doesn't stand up to scrutiny when you look at the actual taxes paid by corporations as a proportion of their revenue.

On the other end, I also see and sympathize with the fact that a good portion of the dollars collected by our governments are not well spent. I'm not implying that there is ingrained corruption - but rather the careless manner in which taxpayer dollars are being utilized by certain government agencies simply because it is part of their "allotted annual budget" (with the mentality that if you don't spend it this year your departmental budget may get axed the following fiscal year).
I'm not sure how it works in Canada, but Americans also pay property taxes which can be very significant. Still relatively low for worldwide standards.

But what you're saying makes sense. And while I know there is a ton of corruption in American politics, I take issue with the lack of investment America is making in comparison to Canada. Canada has a solid education system (better than the US in most ways), health insurance covered, far lower crime, and better infrastructure on average. Investment into public spaces within cities, investment into transit rather than pouring money into endless roads, and just a better QOL.

If America could have an honest review of the tax structure, make some good decisions around the larger problems (like war funding), and then start to improve schools and infrastructure, people would probably be more open to an increase. But America is not in a position to invest in the future TBH. We are failing politically and financially.

Toronto appears to be making some good steps toward infrastructure change. When someone or someplace can make a stand and make change like that, it's pretty powerful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto