Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 10:30 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,822 times

Advertisements

Hi. I would love some feedback on this topic.

What does inner city mean in terms of Toronto.

For some reason I have always associated this with being a negative thing likely from hearing it used in reference to bad places in American cities.

What the heck does it really mean and where would you consider inner city in Toronto.

My daughter was attending something around Victoria Park and Danforth and the term cane up in reference to the area. Also I heard it used in reference of my area and laughter because it made no sense .... if anythung we are literally at the edge of the city. It has no down town vibe at all. There are parks.... beaches .... more green then building and almost no high rise buildings.

What does this mean?
Even living around Jane and Steeles as a kid so woukd not consider that inner city.

Please explain???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 12:00 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
My Doctors office is right DT on Sherbourne street and I was reading that the clinic serves the 'unique' needs of an inner city population. I think it has to do with dense and urban parts of a city or metro. In the U.S it may be more synonymous with higher density/lower income areas not in the burbs.

Last edited by fusion2; 01-14-2018 at 01:03 PM..

Old 01-14-2018, 06:06 PM

Default ........

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
My Doctors office is right DT on Sherbourne street and I was reading that the clinic serves the 'unique' needs of an inner city population. I think it has to do with dense and urban parts of a city or metro. In the U.S it may be more synonymous with higher density/lower income areas not in the burbs.
I can at least from a geographic context understand that area being called inner city as it is in the inner part of the city..... but I am on the edge.... the population is not dense and it is not lower income .. not sure how it became inner city. Any more south I would be living in the lake

Old 01-14-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I can at least from a geographic context understand that area being called inner city as it is in the inner part of the city..... but I am on the edge.... the population is not dense and it is not lower income .. not sure how it became inner city. Any more south I would be living in the lake
Sherbourne not dense? Census tracts around Sherbourne street contain some of the most dense tracts in Canada. St Jamestown straddles Sherbourne and it is the most dense area in the nation. As for income levels it is a mixed bag. Gentrification in some areas has pushed it up but there are certainly some lower income areas including St Jamestown, Moss Park etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._James_Town

I get that if you are looking at the geographic centre of the city of Toronto, it would not be in the DT core it would probably be midtown, but I think inner has more to do with being closer to the original core of the city as opposed to the geographic centre of it.

Last edited by fusion2; 01-14-2018 at 06:40 PM..

Old 01-14-2018, 07:11 PM

Default ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Sherbourne not dense? Census tracts around Sherbourne street contain some of the most dense tracts in Canada. St Jamestown straddles Sherbourne and it is the most dense area in the nation. As for income levels it is a mixed bag. Gentrification in some areas has pushed it up but there are certainly some lower income areas including St Jamestown, Moss Park etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._James_Town

I get that if you are looking at the geographic centre of the city of Toronto, it would not be in the DT core it would probably be midtown, but I think inner has more to do with being closer to the original core of the city as opposed to the geographic centre of it.
That is not read right. That area is dense as well as in the city centre. The last bit was specify to my area which is really not dense. I got lake to the south .... a bunch of bushy areas.... lots of cemeteries and mostly detached homes ..... not really a dense area and not in the inner part of the city ... so how the heck can it be coined inner city?

Old 01-14-2018, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
That is not read right. That area is dense as well as in the city centre. The last bit was specify to my area which is really not dense. I got lake to the south .... a bunch of bushy areas.... lots of cemeteries and mostly detached homes ..... not really a dense area and not in the inner part of the city ... so how the heck can it be coined inner city?
Ah gotcha yeah I misread... In reference to the area you're describing no.. I wouldn't consider that inner city either.

Old 01-15-2018, 02:12 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
Parkdale is inner city, regent park is inner city.

Old 01-15-2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Parkdale is inner city, regent park is inner city.
Yeah those areas definitely.

Old 01-18-2018, 03:52 PM

380 posts, read 430,529 times
I just googled "inner city definition" and it gave me this:

'the area near the center of a city, especially when associated with social and economic problems.'

A tough one because some of the areas with social and economic problems in Toronto aren't necessarily close to the city centre.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:01 PM

3,970 posts, read 5,762,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willg View Post
I just googled "inner city definition" and it gave me this:

'the area near the center of a city, especially when associated with social and economic problems.'

A tough one because some of the areas with social and economic problems in Toronto aren't necessarily close to the city centre.
I noticed Toronto is kind of modeled after European cities where the lesser income communities are outside of the downtown core. Still, neighbourhoods like Jane and Finch or Lawrence and Weston, though outside of the downtown core, are still within Toronto city proper and to me as an observing American, can still be considered as "inner city". I am sensing even in the US that there is a paradigm shift where low income residents are moving out of the core and into surrounding communities and so the term "inner city" may not even be accurate in a generation's time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto