Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 09:30 AM

59 posts, read 39,165 times

Advertisements

Hello,
Ok, so here's the thing. I'm 29, no working experience (except freelance graphic design and 3d modeling).
I would like to immigrate from Bosnia to Canada. I have a cousin in Toronto, he lives over there with his daughter and wife
arround 20 years I think. He would like to send me an invitation letter. How and where to look for a job and
what is like avarage and minimuim salary in Canada? I'm asking this to know should I be able to rent a place where i can live,pay bills and live like that
on my own for years. At first couple of month or maybe one month I will stay at his place probably.
One more solution I have is probably to get married so it kinda makes things easier financially, or not? I really don't know plus I'm not type of a guy to
be with a women just because of money,my personal interests etc.(and also I don't believe anyone is stupid to buy that crap, probably only if
a woman have one leg shorter then the other so nobody wants to be with her I guess).
I can find a job in Bosnia but wedges are low,pensions are low,people and goverment are corrupted,health care sucks
(which is of course very very important for old people ,when you reach like 65,70) and I don't like it here, it's depressing anyway.

so i was wondering does all this pays off at all?
I would like to know pros and cons of my life in Canada in comparing to this one here in Bosnia but I guess the only way to find out is to try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 05:45 PM

287 posts, read 305,232 times
Sorry but your cousin’s invitation letter does not make it legal for you to find job here, you will not even be allowed in by the border agents if they find out you are here to look for job. In order to legally work here you will have to either apply for permanent residency first or find an employer who can sponsor your work permit application

Old 02-21-2018, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moveagain View Post
Sorry but your cousin’s invitation letter does not make it legal for you to find job here, you will not even be allowed in by the border agents if they find out you are here to look for job. In order to legally work here you will have to either apply for permanent residency first or find an employer who can sponsor your work permit application

yes, im aware of that i just didn't mention that.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilgrim88 View Post
yes, im aware of that i just didn't mention that.
So you are asking whether it’s worth the risk to look for jobs here illegally... then the answer is no, you may be able to get some labor work that pays cash, which will most likely be way below the minimum wage, and you won’t have any health benefits and social security type of welfare/assistance

Old 02-21-2018, 08:30 PM

15,106 posts, read 15,769,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moveagain View Post
So you are asking whether it’s worth the risk to look for jobs here illegally... then the answer is no, you may be able to get some labor work that pays cash, which will most likely be way below the minimum wage, and you won’t have any health benefits and social security type of welfare/assistance
Not to mention the stress of worrying at any moment that you're gonna get busted and deported.

Original Poster

Here is the gov't of Canada's website on immigrating to the country. If you are serious about this then it is more than worth your time reading about it. If you have a chance to legally visit the country I would suggest you do so before even attempting to make any life altering decisions. There are a lot of opportunities in this country and I think you would have a greater chance at economic success in Canada than in Bosnia generally speaking. This doesn't mean however that you will love it here or even be happy living here so check it out first if you can!

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...te-canada.html

Old 02-22-2018, 04:17 AM

295 posts, read 261,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Not to mention the stress of worrying at any moment that you're gonna get busted and deported.
Not in Toronto, which is a sanctuary city.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:26 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,336,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_wanderer View Post
Why the hell is Toronto a sanctuary city? This only encourages illegal immigration.

Old 02-23-2018, 05:56 PM

15,106 posts, read 15,769,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_wanderer View Post
This doesn't mean an illegal can't be deported. It means that the city will provide services to individuals and shouldn't require immigration papers for the service. For example if someone goes to a shelter run by the city, it shouldn't ask what is their immigration status. There are examples however where this is indeed happening and illegals have been denied services because they don't have papers.

Also, Police are required to report an illegal to CBSA if they become aware that the person is indeed an illegal immigrant, so it is absolutely NOT true that an illegal can't be deported in Toronto. 'Sanctuary' city only goes so far.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...port-says.html

Quote:
In 2007, the Toronto Police Services Board adopted new standards of conduct stating that “victims and witnesses of a crime shall not be asked their immigration status unless there are bona fide reasons to do so.”
But Hudson said police do ask victims, witnesses and complainants about their immigration status.
“Toronto police collect this information and then pass it on to the (Canada) Border Services Agency so that the (Canada) Border Services Agency … can follow up and detain and deport these individuals,” Hudson added.
Mark Pugash, spokesperson for the Toronto police, said he “can’t rule out the possibility that there are cases where the procedure wasn’t followed.”
But the police board’s directions are clear, he said.
“You don’t ask unless it is relevant. But if you become aware of (illegal immigration status), you are required by law to report it.”

Old 02-24-2018, 06:18 AM

I don't want to do anything illegal, i'm not that type of a person.
Maybe I can find a company in Toronto so they can give me working visa and stuff like that.

Old 02-24-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilgrim88 View Post
I don't want to do anything illegal, i'm not that type of a person.
Maybe I can find a company in Toronto so they can give me working visa and stuff like that.
As you said yourself , you don’t have any work experience... and the process of getting work permit is pretty inconvenient... so if they can find any locals to do the work , it’s unlikely they would hire anyone from another country
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto