Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 07:45 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,672,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I don't think anyone is contending we live in a war zone or that there are 'ethnic' boogie men hiding in dark corners to get us. However, why is Toronto so special? I mean most and I mean the vast majority of ethnic and more specifically Muslim immigrants/refugees in European countries/cities are law abiding and respectful citizens in their adopted homelands. Now I would agree, we may have a better climate for integration here and the problems not as pronounced as Europe - but honestly, I would not have at all been surprised if some stray lone wolf or even ISIS linked and inspired mad man mowed down a bunch of people in our city. In this case, I don't think it will have an ISIS or organized terror link but honestly, it could absolutely happen here and if anything - this should be a wake up call that while we may have a certain degree of harmony here - maybe even more so than almost any other intensely multicultural place - let us not get lost in that 'harmony' and be vigilant and get over the fact that we are immune and 'special' - we are not immune to a Bataclan or Nice type attack and yes - it could still happen and could even happen here or in Montreal or in Vancouver. On smaller scales, we've already had ISIS/ISIS inspired/Radical Islamic inspired attacks in our country ie Ottawa, Saint Jean sur Richelieu and Edmonton - the Big one's ie T.O/Mon/YVR have been left relatively unscathed but.....

Yes - these are the things we should be thinking of and reflecting on. Not some of the other bizarre and speculative commentary i'm reading about in this thread
I was reading comments in reaction to a UK source reporting on the story.

It literally made me sick to me stomach.

These people that don't know anything about our city or our country jumping up and down screaming a to Islamic sentiments regarding to fight before our police said anything. It is just so wrong.

Now we have random peoole starting to twist in refuges and rape culture?

He hit and kill without descrimination. He did now swerve to avoid hitting some.

The only one to blame is the driver! He did this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 07:51 AM

Default ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post
Syrian refugees so far have been fine in terms of crime and violence in that there seems to be relatively little from them which is good, but their rate of integration and employment seems to be slow and its certainly costing Canadian taxpayers a fair amount of money.

BUT I'm wondering why people are so quick to forget about the Somali refugees who have been here for several decades and are STILL having problems especially with crime, violence and murder and its become so significant in recent years that they're FINALLY admitting it and are willing to work with police and politicians to find a solution. Of course they're still not willing to take responsibility for their issues, but one step at a time I guess.

And also even though terrorism is relatively a very low level threat in Canada, lets not pretend crime and violence isn't still a major issue among Somalis and other certain minority groups in Toronto and elsewhere.

I agree sometimes a crazy man is just a crazy man, BUT if for example Somalis and black people in general are still a high proportion of the GTA's murder victims are we still going to not admit that and do something about it rather than be too afraid to not offend people's feelings? This is pretty much why the problem is unending and is never solved in that community and we'll probably have to live with it for decades longer because of certain people's inability to take responsibility and do something about this issue.

I would LOVE for that to happen except we have BLM and other assorted crazy lefties projecting other country's problems and especially US problems onto Canada and bringing that crap from the outside into here. And of course being an extremely diverse city, anytime something happens in the world there's probably going to be a group of people protesting/holding a rally for it in our city.

Just because 'the vast majority' of Muslims in Europe are law abiding and peaceful, it doesn't mean there aren't very large numbers that AREN'T very law abiding and peaceful, particularly if we're talking about young Muslim males. Why else would there be significant amounts of violence, crime and even terrorism in a number of European countries right now?

So its kind of disingenuous to say 'the vast majority' of Muslims when the group that's most relevant are young males and there's most definitely high rates of them causing trouble and unrest. So if you look at that particluar group rather than diluting the numbers by including irrelevant groups of Muslims (like females, kids and the elderly), then yeah many European countries most definitely do have issues with migrants/refugees from certain parts of the world.

Isn't it interesting that its the nations that are the most 'diverse' and welcoming to migrants from certain regions are the ones most at danger of terror attacks and generally higher rates of crime and violence? So while Canada has been lucky so far in mostly avoiding major terror attacks, if it continues down the path its currently taking with regards to migrants, there's no guarantee that Canada will remain as lucky in the future.
I don't know about you guys but I grew up here and finding my first job was hard.
Know throw in I lived through a war .... so dont know the language .... post traumatic stress ... I don't know the city ... the culture etc .... It is going to take some time.

I think the entire Somalian reference .... is out if context.

It is out there as suggesting we should ban people from Richmond Hill in Toronto.

Old 04-24-2018, 07:52 AM

34,109 posts, read 18,354,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I agree. Unless it comes out later he was part of some Muslim cult, or had radical, Muslim beliefs, or other radical beliefs, this seems like it was just a crazed LOON acting on his INSANITY.

I don't think this is a reflection on Toronto, nor the Province of Ontario, nor Canada in general.

Old 04-24-2018, 09:27 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,889,588 times
Quote:
This situstion is bad ...... but it is not happening in our country.
and not in Toronto ... so why are we even talking about it? Men rape ... kill and expolit women all over the world.... It is not a refugee or Islamic issue exclusively .... It is a historical and global crisis.

Once the police finish their investigation we will find out.

Also people were so quick to mention the man looked middle eastern and had an accent ..... LMAO any one lives in Toronto knows most people have an accent and a tan... that is as saying he had dark hair, was "ethnic looking" and had white sneaker.
It seems that the suggestion that "incel" had something to do with the rampage was a joke.

What I'm hearing is that the man had mental health issues, but I am having difficulties understanding pre-meditated murder as a mental health issue.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:59 AM

33 posts, read 31,038 times
I'm no expert but I've heard this kind of complaint from more than one person: they just can't compete. There are a lot of very unhappy, young, single people here who will never be perfect & there seems to be a very icy, snobbish/New England elitism here that socially outcasts those without the university degrees or high status jobs or expensive condos or expensive clothes, etc. Young people want someone who looks perfect and is successful in every aspect of life. There are a lot of young people here who are trying so hard - working a lot, taking classes - and it's just not making any difference. And seriously - how many $4500/month luxury apartments does downtown need? This city (downtown to be specific), over the past decade, has chased out anyone who was making a modest living and told them 'not my problem; get out'. Now we are up to our eyeballs in rich people condos/apartments and nothing else. This city has gone completely overboard with luxury downtown housing and done nothing for those barely getting by.
I think this guy was having very little luck in life and possibly not finding much in the way of dating prospects either. Not that it's any excuse but I think we have a lot of angry young people who've been left behind because nobody wants to be associated with someone who is broken or messy - this city goes on all the time about tolerance, diversity and multiculturalism but that really only applies to the young, successful and gorgeous.

Last edited by Falls14303; 04-24-2018 at 11:08 AM..

Old 04-24-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falls14303 View Post
I'm no expert but I've heard this kind of complaint from more than one person: they just can't compete. There are a lot of very unhappy, young, single people here who will never be perfect & there seems to be a very icy, snobbish/New England elitism here that socially outcasts those without the university degrees or high status jobs or expensive condos or expensive clothes, etc. Young people want someone who looks perfect and is successful in every aspect of life. There are a lot of young people here who are trying so hard - working a lot, taking classes - and it's just not making any difference. And seriously - how many $4500/month luxury apartments does downtown need? This city (downtown to be specific), over the past decade, has chased out anyone who was making a modest living and told them 'not my problem; get out'. Now we are up to our eyeballs in rich people condos/apartments and nothing else. This city has gone completely overboard with luxury downtown housing and done nothing for those barely getting by.

I think this guy was having very little luck in life and possibly not finding much in the way of dating prospects either. Not that it's any excuse but I think we have a lot of angry young people who've been left behind because nobody wants to be associated with someone who is broken or messy - this city goes on all the time about tolerance, diversity and multiculturalism but that really only applies to the young, successful and gorgeous.

I grew up in one of the lower income areas of the Toronto to immigrant parents.
I am not perfect in any way.
My life is not perfect.
I am higher income "NOW" but I still can't afford $4500 a month in house ( and would not even consider moving to home at that price point).

Why does anyone except it to be easy?

How we see our lives and how other people do varies.

To me this is a REALLY young person with loads of potential that just blew everything.
He is a descent looking guy.
He was about to finish school
He had already created a really interesting App ( which is great accomplishment)
He was on a great track.

When I was 25 I was was making $6.40 an hour ( until had to leave the job)... just finishing up a year long unpaid internship. Married... but not living with my husband yet .... then pregnant ... then living in a room with my husband and new born in my parents home and living off my visa card ( which was almost maxed out). Could not find a job even with a university degree and a professional designation..... HORRIBLE situation. A few months later out of no where landing a that change my life! Just a little over a decade later. I own my own house, car, lot of investments, I figured out how to be a parent, figured out how to be a wife ( still working on that ) and loads of designer stuff I could have never affords before 25. At no point did the idea of killing a bunch of people come across my mind. This is not normal behaviour. Killing yourself is one thing ... killing a bunch of strangers just because ... beyond abnormal behaviour.

My point.... PEOPLE don't give up. Keep on rolling the dice and playing the game called life. You never know what is going to happen next good or bad.

25 .... and giving up?

Old 04-24-2018, 02:10 PM

14,641 posts, read 14,734,000 times
Latest news: What we know about Alek Minassian, alleged driver in deadly Toronto van attack

Alek Minassian, the driver of the van, was a screwed up guy who apparently identified with that American fellow, Elliot Rodger. Rodger was that rich young "pretty-boy" metrosexual man who killed six people and wounded another dozen people in Isla Vista, California because he couldn't get and keep a girlfriend.

Old 04-24-2018, 03:52 PM

Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Latest news: What we know about Alek Minassian, alleged driver in deadly Toronto van attack

Alek Minassian, the driver of the van, was a screwed up guy who apparently identified with that American fellow, Elliot Rodger. Rodger was that rich young "pretty-boy" metrosexual man who killed six people and wounded another dozen people in Isla Vista, California because he couldn't get and keep a girlfriend.

In short "mental illness".

People don't just kill random people for no reason.

This is not normal human behaviour.

Being that he is charged with 10 counts of murder and a bunch of counts of attempted murder it is pretty safe to say her is doing to be off the streets the rest of his life.

There is not way to compensate the victims and their families for the loss of lives, emotional and physical trauma caused.

No one wins..... everyone has lot.

Anyways good bye and back to real life.

The sensors dictators have been awoken.

Old 04-24-2018, 06:40 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,889,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

From your link:
"The post that appeared on Minassian's Facebook page included a line that said the "incel rebellion has already begun. We will overthrow all the Chads and the Stacys."

So the "incel" comment was not a joke, and this stupid man actually thinks that women are to blame for his troubles. That's not mental illness, that's a hate crime. What a pathetic little man he is that he cannot solve the simple problem of getting laid.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:42 PM

15,109 posts, read 15,717,413 times
Quote:
I was reading comments in reaction to a UK source reporting on the story.

It literally made me sick to me stomach.

These people that don't know anything about our city or our country jumping up and down screaming a to Islamic sentiments regarding to fight before our police said anything. It is just so wrong.

Now we have random peoole starting to twist in refuges and rape culture?

He hit and kill without descrimination. He did now swerve to avoid hitting some.

You always get the kneejerk reaction from people looking for any reason to pin every incident like this on Islamic fundamentalism. You get kneejerk reactions on a lot of fronts. The mouth speaks before the brain thinks. People like to judge and create enemies, even where none exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto