Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2018, 09:50 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,057,445 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, the Toronto Int'l Film Festival will be starting soon, Sept 6-16, and I'm getting very excited about it. I used to live in Michigan (I consider myself a self-appointed honorary Canadian ) and I have been attending the festival each year since 2004. Due to my move from Michigan to California in late 2016, I missed it last year, so I'm doubly excited to visit next month.

What do you Torontonians think about TIFF and the visitors from outside who come to town for the festival? I know the first 4 days are the craziest and can be disruptive to those who live and work near the TIFF venues. Any of you planning to attend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 09:38 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,822 times
Thanks for posting this. I have gone the last few years to a few shows. I really enjoyed the experience and encourage others in the city to try it out. In my opinion it does not create that much of a disruption. Why anyone would be driving around the areas even when there are no event taking place is crazy. There is easy access to public transit all over the areas so unless your legs are broken there really is not much need to drive in to the area.

Personally I don't think there are many people from Toronto that currently live in Toronto on this forum in general so keep that in mind. Further more of those few posters ... most don't actually appear to be going to events in the city based on the comments they have shared in the past.

I looked through the movies yesterday and I was a little disappointed. I did not really find any that spoke to my interests.... but I still would like to try pick at least one to go to. I did read through the information pretty fast. I am going to try to review them again soon to help pick one to try to see.

Are you going or are there any specific ones you are considering seeing?

Best wishes.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:55 AM

400 posts, read 422,165 times
Speaking for myself, I love to meet visitors who come to the festival to enjoy the kinds of films that mostly escapes notice during the rest of the year. I was a volunteer usher at TIFF and its predecessor (the Festival of Festivals) for 5 seasons back in the day and met a tonne of great movie buffs with whom I had some pretty deep conversations about the films we'd seen. Most people love the excitement too. It makes the city come alive just that little bit more. Hope you have a great time, Mito.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:53 PM

Thanks for the cool replies thus far, seems like you guys enjoy TIFF in your own way. I will be flying into Toronto very early Friday, so that will allow me to enjoy 75% of Friday, all day Saturday and I leave 6pm on Sunday back to LA. When I lived in Michigan, I would stay with a buddy in the Danforth/Greektown area from Thursday to Wednesday. Had so much fun. He moved to California too recently. TIFF released the final 112 films today so hopefully there are some great titles for you to check out. I have a few off the top of my head, A Star is Born, Widows, Beautiful Boy, and I always squeeze in at least one documentary and a foreign film. I'm a member of TIFF as well, to get an earlier time to buy tickets.

Old 08-15-2018, 10:09 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,822 times
Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
Thanks for the cool replies thus far, seems like you guys enjoy TIFF in your own way. I will be flying into Toronto very early Friday, so that will allow me to enjoy 75% of Friday, all day Saturday and I leave 6pm on Sunday back to LA. When I lived in Michigan, I would stay with a buddy in the Danforth/Greektown area from Thursday to Wednesday. Had so much fun. He moved to California too recently. TIFF released the final 112 films today so hopefully there are some great titles for you to check out. I have a few off the top of my head, A Star is Born, Widows, Beautiful Boy, and I always squeeze in at least one documentary and a foreign film. I'm a member of TIFF as well, to get an earlier time to buy tickets.
Thanks for sharing your film picks. I did not realizes they released the shows in phases. Hopefully I will like some of the other ones. I am a TIFF member too... but that apparently does not help if I don't pay attention to what that includes ). Hope you enjoy this year's festival.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Thanks for sharing your film picks. I did not realizes they released the shows in phases. Hopefully I will like some of the other ones. I am a TIFF member too... but that apparently does not help if I don't pay attention to what that includes ). Hope you enjoy this year's festival.
Well if you're a TIFF member too and since you're local, you might have slightly more ease at buying tickets. I'm really hoping I can get one ticket to the Beautiful Boy gala on the 7th, or the second screening on the 8th. In the past, tickets went off-sale before I was able to buy. Very nerve wrecking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto