Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 10:55 PM

24 posts, read 17,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
The LARGE majority of people of African descent in Canada did not come from the US. It's mostly the Caribbeans, then Africans. Why would kids from these countries you mentioned be affected by violence ? Because they're from Africa and Africa is supposed to this Mad Max place ? I am originally from a mixed race West African family and I have travelled quite a bit in Africa. Maybe try it too ! You might come to understand the civil war in the Congo for example was caused by political reasons, NOT because of a culture of violence. Unlike Jamaica and Haiti which do have a culture of violence that can be traced all the way back to the slavery era : slaves in Jamaica and Haiti were treated way harsher than in other places, and Haiti went through a quasi genocidal attempt by the French during the war of liberation, followed by a mass killing of almost all Europeans after Toussaint Louverture's death. The violence has remained in the culture of these places ever since.

The prejudice is strong in this one. Why would a lot of African kids have witnessed a lot of violence ? Somali gangs are few and far between and are nowhere near as dangerous as Jamaican and Haitians gangs. Facts. The large majority of "Black" criminals in Canada are not from Africa.

Again. There are no "Black" neighborhoods in Canada. There are Jamaican, Haitian areas and even in these places they might not be 50% of the population. A couple Somali areas which btw are very safe.

I go to Chicago's south side neighborhoods often and yes, it's something else. Let's stop thinking in American terms about local issues.
In some form or fashion, the parents or community failed them. And sometimes people are just bad seeds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2021, 10:56 PM

24 posts, read 17,167 times
To answer op, I would say the middle class in Toronto is shrinking. Just a matter of time before it disappears and turns to poor and rich.

Old 07-26-2021, 11:25 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,401,569 times
Quote:
The prejudice is strong in this one. Why would a lot of African kids have witnessed a lot of violence ? Somali gangs are few and far between and are nowhere near as dangerous as Jamaican and Haitians gangs. Facts. The large majority of "Black" criminals in Canada are not from Africa.
Not out here on the prairies and Western Canada. Jamaicans are not know to cause problems out here and there are little to no Haitians out here. When you read the names of black men that get killed out here, more often then not they have African and Muslim names, not English or creole names. The only black gangs I have heard of where I live are African, not Jamaican or Haitian. Infact one the gangs is called "African Mafia".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmndsIufFNQ

Call me prejudice all you want, but If you weren't aware Somali had a major conflict going on.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somali_Civil_War

Quote:
Dozens of young Somali-Canadian men have fallen victim to gun violence in Ontario and Alberta, victims of the same violence their families came to Canada to escape. The Agenda examines why.

Old 07-26-2021, 11:27 PM

2,185 posts, read 1,382,123 times
This is anecdotal and not reflective of a larger pattern. Like what weather is to climate. I could paste news about biker gang wars or the BC gangs, but that would have no impact on your perception of white on white violence. Somehow, Somali gangs in your neck of the woods are impacting your perception of all African kids ? Got it.

Last edited by Sorel36; 07-26-2021 at 11:35 PM..

Old 07-27-2021, 04:46 AM

Quote:
This is anecdotal and not reflective of a larger pattern. Like what weather is to climate. I could paste news about biker gang wars or the BC gangs, but that would have no impact on your perception of white on white violence. Somehow, Somali gangs in your neck of the woods are impacting your perception of all African kids ? Got it.

It's not anecdotal, and I never said it was all Africans or only Somalains. You brought up Haitians but there are little to no Haitians outside of Quebec. LOL. You have no problem ****ting on Jamaicans and Haitians but provided nothing to back up your claims.

Here are some more articles from across the country.

Ottawa
Quote:
Somali youth group looks for solutions to end violence
Police say gun-related crime is increasing across Ottawa neighbourhoods
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...ting-1.4745223

Edmonton
Quote:
Edmonton police say Somali gangs work a circuit across Canada
Somali drug gangs appear to be highly mobile and loosely organized without the hierarchy of traditional criminal gangs, says Staff Sgt. Jim Peebles of Edmonton city police.
https://edmontonjournal.com/news/edm...-across-canada

British Columbia
Quote:
Surrey gang shootings show Somali youth need better support, says outreach worker
Young refugees have little support for trauma, says head of Umoja Operation Compassion Society of BC
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...rker-1.3055917

Winnipeg
Quote:
Waddell also said with violence rife in areas like Somalia, it’s “not out of the ordinary” for people coming from those areas to be involved in violent acts; which, he said can become amplified if a newcomer joins a gang.
Some newcomers from countries such as Somalia, Kenya, Congo, those types of communities where they’ve come really from a very violent background, it’s not abnormal for them to have witnessed those types of violent acts when they do arrive in Canada,” Waddell said.
https://globalnews.ca/news/6137022/n...-activity-wps/

Old 07-27-2021, 07:54 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times
I just wanted to mention that UrbanLuis is not racist at all in his posts and these suggestions that he is are absurd.

Aside from that, if you look at news reports on perpetrators and victims of murders in Toronto "black" males are significantly over-represented and based on the names there is a pretty good share of both Afro-Caribbeans and sub-Saharan Africans (especially from the Horn of Africa - based on names again).

Murder victims and perpetrators in Ottawa are also disproportionately either from the Horn of Africa (i.e. Somalia, Djibouti) and the Caribbean.

In Quebec, where most Haitian-Canadians live, they are not generally stereotyped with crime that much, and those people who are racist against them will generally say that they are lazy or poor workers. I wouldn't say they are typically associated with being violent here.

Note that in Montreal murders seem more spread out among the population in general, with people from the Middle East, Italians, Québécois French Canadians, etc. popping up in the news just like young black males. Contrary to Toronto where the latter really dominate the headlines.

I have no idea why that is BTW.

Last edited by Acajack; 07-27-2021 at 08:59 AM..

Old 07-27-2021, 08:28 AM

3,973 posts, read 5,768,214 times
Quote:
The LARGE majority of people of African descent in Canada did not come from the US. It's mostly the Caribbeans, then Africans. Why would kids from these countries you mentioned be affected by violence ? Because they're from Africa and Africa is supposed to this Mad Max place ? I am originally from a mixed race West African family and I have travelled quite a bit in Africa. Maybe try it too ! You might come to understand the civil war in the Congo for example was caused by political reasons, NOT because of a culture of violence. Unlike Jamaica and Haiti which do have a culture of violence that can be traced all the way back to the slavery era : slaves in Jamaica and Haiti were treated way harsher than in other places, and Haiti went through a quasi genocidal attempt by the French during the war of liberation, followed by a mass killing of almost all Europeans after Toussaint Louverture's death. The violence has remained in the culture of these places ever since.

I was a substitute teacher for four years in inner city secondary schools here in Boston, taught a great many kids of African origin, and had Kenyan, Nigerian, and Somali colleagues who knew the student backgrounds better than we outsiders did. I am not saying all African kids are bad. In fact I recall a great many good kids and some were exceptionally bright too. I am just saying that there are ones who did already delve into gangs and the teachers blame the political violence back at home for influencing them. I suppose you'll be blaming lax American culture for influencing these kids to go bad instead and not the home culture. I suppose you think that Canada did a better job welcoming and settling African immigrants.

And for the record, I haven't traveled the African continent as widely as you have but I've lived in Zimbabwe for two years. It was OK back then but it is not all right now. Street violence often follows political violence and that is what is happening over there. Electricity is sporadic, inflation is high, there are occasional food, water, or supply shortages, schools have been closed, and when people cannot buy, they take. Mugabe may have targeted White farmers and political opponents, esp. those not belonging to the Shona tribe, but now it has kind of become a free for all, every man for himself place.

Old 07-27-2021, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I just wanted to mention that UrbanLuis is not racist at all in his posts and these suggestions that he is are absurd.

Aside from that, if you look at news reports on perpetrators and victims of murders in Toronto "black" males are significantly over-represented and based on the names there is a pretty good share of both Afro-Caribbeans and sub-Saharan Africans (especially from the Horn of Africa - based on names again).

Murder victims and perpetrators in Ottawa are also disproportionately either from the Horn of Africa (i.e. Somalia, Djibouti) and the Caribbean.

In Quebec, where most Haitian-Canadians live, they are not generally stereotyped with crime that much, and those people who racist against them will generally say that they are lazy or poor workers. I wouldn't say they are typically associated with being violent here.

Note that in Montreal murders seem more spread out among the population in general, with people from the Middle East, Italians, Québécois French Canadians, etc. popping up in the news just like young black males. Contrary to Toronto where the latter really dominate the headlines.

I have no idea why that is BTW.
Thank you sir.

Yeah I agree with Acajacks comment about Haitians. I think sometimes they are unfairly stereotyped. MTL is a very safe city. Even areas like MTL nord, Pie Ix, st michel are not as bad as people make them out the be. Like Acajack said you will find Arabs, latinos, Italians and others popping up in the news for stupidity. And like I said before there are barely any Haitians in the ROC. So there is no way they are among the most violent groups in Canada.

Old 07-27-2021, 09:02 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times
It's worth noting that AFAIK in the USA Jamaicans and even to some degree Somalis are not generally stereotyped for being violent.

Old 07-27-2021, 11:47 AM

2,185 posts, read 1,382,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
It's not anecdotal, and I never said it was all Africans or only Somalains. You brought up Haitians but there are little to no Haitians outside of Quebec. LOL. You have no problem ****ting on Jamaicans and Haitians but provided nothing to back up your claims.

Here are some more articles from across the country.

Ottawa
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...ting-1.4745223

Edmonton

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/edm...-across-canada

British Columbia
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...rker-1.3055917

Winnipeg

https://globalnews.ca/news/6137022/n...-activity-wps/
I am not sure if you read the posts but I even gave you the historical context for the violence of culture that exists in these communities. Go back and read it. I lived 8 years in Montreal and Haitians are the only ones there that are over represented in street gang wars, it has cooled down a bit now but they used to murder each other, and other people too at a high rate in the 2000s. The fact that Jamaicans and Haitians are way more violent than the general population is not speculation, it's a fact. The point I made in the beginning is that there is no "Black on Black" violence, it's mostly Caribbeans causing mayhem in their own communities. Though Montreal as a whole is very safe (which is NOT the point of the discussion), it is not as safe if you are in these communities. I have a relative who grew up around the Haitian culture and 3 of his high school buddies have been murdered. Most Canadians don't even know a single murder victim.

If you had actually read what I said, you would have noticed that I never said Haitians are violent across Canada, I said they are found in other provinces (namely Quebec).

Now you're going to say you're not prejudiced but you're the one, you and your buddy, lumping together African kids with Caribbean kids. The Caribbeans is the most violent region in the world, out of the 20 countries with the highest homicide rates, 12 are in the Caribbeans and the rest mostly in Latin America.

You keep bringing up Somalis, I guess in your mind Somalis, Jamaicans, or Kenyans (lol) they're all Black so it's just one big group. Despite what your googling could have you believe, Somalis are nowhere near as violent, or impacted by violence the way Caribbean communities are in Canada. Again, I if pasted some article about some poor bloke gunned down in biker gang violence you would never see it as a representation of "white" violence.

Now your last quote about supposed/fantasized violence in the Congo or Kenya is just another display of pure ignorance on your part and on the part of the white man who is saying it and has never been to any of those places nor is he familiar with the culture. For example, Guatemala has a murder rate 10 times that of Kenya.

Last edited by Sorel36; 07-27-2021 at 12:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto