Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2008, 03:37 PM

686 posts, read 3,716,457 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have always wanted to live and work in Toronto. It's been 5 years now that I have been interested. Now that I am starting school in January, I am considering Seneca in Toronto and planning to transfer to York University. Is this a good idea? Are there any americans who have done this or who live in Toronto now? I am very excited about the prospect but would like to know know what it would be like for me.

Is Toronto a good place to go to school? Should I just stay in the states and go to school? (I figure if I get a degree in Canada and not the US) my job prospects back here if I have to come back might not be so good. I want to study journalism and Real Estate. I would REALLY appreciate all feedback.Thanks.,

Daniel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 07:24 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,748,958 times
There is a very distinct difference between York University and Seneca College. One is a degree-granting university and the other is a College of Applied Arts and Technology which grants diplomas.

In Ontario, universities and community colleges generally have a much different focus when it comes to their curriculum. The community colleges such as Seneca tend to concentrate on programs which have a practical application such as hospitality management, law and security, journalism, electronic technology, etc.

While there are exceptions, most programs covered in a community college such as Seneca are not transferable to a university such as York.

If journalism is your chosen direction, the best program in the Toronto region is offered by Ryerson University in downtown Toronto.

Before you make any decisions, you need to check out the web site for each educational institution and ensure that it actually offers a program which will fill your needs.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:36 AM

169 posts, read 799,166 times
Real estate is done differently in Canada. If that is one of your goal areas of study- I'd stay in the US (although it can vary region by region there too)

Old 10-10-2008, 12:10 AM

4 posts, read 35,762 times
Seneca in Toronto has one of the best reputations for a college in all of Ontario. It is possible to transfer from a program in Seneca to York if you're taking college courses that correspond with the university programs. For example, you take arts and science at Seneca and then transfer to arts and science at York. I have a friend who transfered from Humber (a college not as reputable as Seneca) into York. Her marks were fairly high though. To get into York you generally don't need that high marks, unless your applying to one of their top programs like Schulich (business), Kinesiology, or Sciences. For their arts programs a lot of my highschool friends got in with low 70s.

Real Estate in Toronto is on the rise. Their is a huge building boom happening along the lakefront where lots of condos are flying up. Also, in areas around Pickering and Ajax, just east of Toronto, housing development is rampant. My friends mom is a real estate agent working for the company Remax out in Ajax. She is making a killing, as many middleclass-upper class families want to raise their kids in green suburban areas. She is having no problem selling houses out there.

I'm not sure if the process to becoming a real estate agent in the US is different then Canada, but I know its fairly easy to get in Ontario. You take a course, write a couple tests, and boom you are a certified real estate agent. (Simplified to the max LOL!) Real estate giants like Remax will pick up whoever they can get their hands on and will give you somewhere between 1-7% of the sale value on the property you sell.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:27 PM

686 posts, read 3,716,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nito View Post
Seneca in Toronto has one of the best reputations for a college in all of Ontario. It is possible to transfer from a program in Seneca to York if you're taking college courses that correspond with the university programs. For example, you take arts and science at Seneca and then transfer to arts and science at York. I have a friend who transfered from Humber (a college not as reputable as Seneca) into York. Her marks were fairly high though. To get into York you generally don't need that high marks, unless your applying to one of their top programs like Schulich (business), Kinesiology, or Sciences. For their arts programs a lot of my highschool friends got in with low 70s.

Real Estate in Toronto is on the rise. Their is a huge building boom happening along the lakefront where lots of condos are flying up. Also, in areas around Pickering and Ajax, just east of Toronto, housing development is rampant. My friends mom is a real estate agent working for the company Remax out in Ajax. She is making a killing, as many middleclass-upper class families want to raise their kids in green suburban areas. She is having no problem selling houses out there.

I'm not sure if the process to becoming a real estate agent in the US is different then Canada, but I know its fairly easy to get in Ontario. You take a course, write a couple tests, and boom you are a certified real estate agent. (Simplified to the max LOL!) Real estate giants like Remax will pick up whoever they can get their hands on and will give you somewhere between 1-7% of the sale value on the property you sell.

Thanks a lot for that info. that really helps. Appreciate it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto