Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 06:10 AM

175 posts, read 1,592,713 times

Advertisements

I know there are free French classes offered by the Government in Quebec, but I was wondering if there are similar classes in Toronto as well? I have learned French for a couple of years, and am very interested in making myself more fluent. I think it will be quite useful when needed in this bilingual country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 06:44 PM

1 posts, read 152,276 times
I was wondering the exact same thing. I currently am living in Toronto and don't know of any, although they are plentiful in Montreal etc.

Even a group that meets once a week in a cafe just for conversation would be helpful... if anyone knows of anything, please respond!

Old 03-07-2010, 10:12 AM

355 posts, read 2,369,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanusc View Post
I know there are free French classes offered by the Government in Quebec, but I was wondering if there are similar classes in Toronto as well? I have learned French for a couple of years, and am very interested in making myself more fluent. I think it will be quite useful when needed in this bilingual country.

The government sponsors free English classes (LINC) in the English-speaking cities, and free French classes (CLIC) in the French-speaking cities.

For paid classes, the Alliance Francaise is a world-renowned institution:

http://www.alliance-francaise.ca/

Also, I got this information from http://www.toronto.ca/socialservices/education.htm#lang:

French as a Second Language (FSL)
French as a Second Language (FSL) classes help people improve their French language skills.
For information regarding French classes for adults contact the Toronto District School Board’s Continuing Education Department at 416-338-4111.

You can also read about other agencies in Toronto that offer classes such as:

Old 04-02-2010, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgpg_99 View Post
The government sponsors free English classes (LINC) in the English-speaking cities, and free French classes (CLIC) in the French-speaking cities.

I found a more direct link to a search tool that gives you exact information:

http://www.onlinetools.ontarioimmigr...spx?culture=en

You choose the language you want to learn (English or French), where you live, and it tells you what free language programs are available to you. Looks like the French classes closer to Toronto are in Mississauga. They only seem to offer conversation classes.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:26 PM

5 posts, read 66,755 times
To be honest, everyone in Toronot speaks English, it isn't necessary to tke French.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:29 PM

Default Update on French Classes

This is an update to the topic of free (or almost free) French classes in the GTA.

I enrolled in a beginner level French Alliance class, and a friend enrolled in a beginner level government-sponsored class offered by the Dufferin-Peel Catholic District School Board.

The first issue is that the DPCDSB does an awful job advertising their courses online, to the point that most of their information is graphics with text placed on a webpage buried in several subdirectories and search engines like Google do not seem to index them. So here's the direct link to their French classes:

http://www.dpcdsb.org/CEC/CNE/ESL/FS...d+Language.htm

Another issue is that the information on their website is normally way outdated up until the week before classes start. Also, at least one of the centers seems to have a policy of not answering the phone and instead returning calls to those who leave a message...if they have the time. When the issue was brought up to them one of their representatives said they were understaffed and that they preferred to favor walk-ins.

In sum, you only get the right information and get to enroll in the courses you really want if you go to their office in person. If not, you'll have to wait for them to call back, and take whatever dates/times are available, if any.

The French classes at DPCDSB are funded by the Ontario Ministry of Citizenship and Immigration, so technically they are free. However, when my friend took the class they did charge $40 for the textbook/exercise manual, and there was an optional DVD for $10. Still, compared to the $300 the equivalent French Alliance class cost me, it's affordable.

Classes at the DPCDSB were large initially (around 40 students), but numbers dwindled over time, and by the end of the course there were around 20 students. It's not the intimate setting you get at the French Alliance with 8-12 students per classroom sitting around at individual tables, but it's not terrible either.

The pace at the DPCDSB classes is fast, and with so many students (at least initially), there are few opportunities to talk, or get feedback on your performance, or ask too many questions. The instructors rely on a lot of work being done at home (reading grammar rules, practicing/memorizing vocabulary, practicing pronunciation). For those who have the time, the system works. For those who need handholding, constant support and motivation, and time to assimilate things, it may be hard.

As we compared notes, we noticed that although the grammar points covered in both classes were similar, the topics were different: the AF focused on personal information, introducing yourself, asking and answering questions about age, origin, likes, dislikes, etc., while the DPCDSB classes focused on cooking, kitchen utensils, and recipies (personal information was only briefly covered). Again, there were sharp differences in how much practice students had during class, so the results (students remembering vocabulary or being fluent during short interviews) reflected that.

I'd say that if someone wants to refresh their French, the DPCDSB classes may be just fine. If someone else wants to have their first experience with French, a large, fast-paced class may be too frustrating, to the point that the whole experience may be ruined.

Last edited by rgpg_99; 11-05-2011 at 07:37 PM..

Old 01-04-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downwithwebster132 View Post
To be honest, everyone in Toronot speaks English, it isn't necessary to tke French.

That may be true, but there are so many reasons to learn another language (in this case, French), not just the immediate need of using it with others around you.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:10 PM

1 posts, read 134,637 times
I know that Voilà Learning offers Free French Tutoring Classes in the GTA and Vancouver. It's after school programs are done in partnership with the different school boards.

VoilaLearning.com at Voilà Community Help at the to right corner

Last edited by French Teachers; 01-26-2012 at 04:19 PM.. Reason: Interested

Old 01-30-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by French Teachers View Post
I know that Voilà Learning offers Free French Tutoring Classes in the GTA and Vancouver. It's after school programs are done in partnership with the different school boards.

VoilaLearning.com at Voilà Community Help at the to right corner
To give the whole picture about Voila Learning, their website says they are a paid tutoring service.

They do have the "Bravo" program, which is 1 1/2 hours a week of free tutoring for 1 student at each school. The school has to nominate the student, and financial need is a consideration.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:35 PM

Here's another French class that is advertised as "free", although there is a $100 processing fee. The location is Scarborough, and the class is being offered by the Heritage Skills Development Center:

- - - Copied from website - - -

HSDC is offering Free Beginner and Intermediate French courses!

Starting: Tuesday February 7, 2012
Course Days: Tuesdays and Thursdays

Beginner Level 1: 4:30pm - 6:00pm
Basic Level 2: 3:00pm - 4:30pm
Intermediate: 6:00pm- 7:30pm

Length of Course: 12 weeks (February 7, 2012 to April 27, 2012)
Materials/ Administrative/ Processing Fee: $100.00

For more information or to register, please contact:
Heritage Skills Development Centre (HSDC)
400 McCowan Road, Scarboroughs
Tel: (416) 345-1613 Fax: (416) 345-8696
E-mail: info@hsdconline.org
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto