Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2015, 09:20 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,004,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
There is also something to be said for have less diversity but a much deeper uniform culture; versus a more diverse place with less depth in terms of local culture. I don't believe one is better or worse than the other, just different, and both can be interesting in their own ways, and variations do exist. The most interesting places I've been in my life have actually been quite monolithic but deep & rich in local culture. Major English speaking cities with different new immigrant groups seem less exotic to me personally. I'm probably just used to it being raised in Toronto and living in major US cities.
Good points. I am pro-diversity but I do recognize that having as much diversity as possible in a given place is not an essential good and a state of grace that every single place must aspire to.

Less diverse and even non-diverse places should not necessarily be condemned for being what they are. The reasons for being the way they are are often complex as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 10:50 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,340,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
South Americans are massively underrepresented in both Canada and the US

(Chile, Colombia, Brazil, argentina, Venezuela etc.)

I think the US has a lot of mexicans, puerto ricans and central americans... if you didnt count those three, you'd find South Americans barely make it to under 1% of US population.

and in Canada they are even less rare
The New York metropolitan area has a lot of Peruvians and especially Ecuadoreans. I believe over 350,000 Ecuadoreans in the area. In fact, while most of the Hispanics in New York are Carribean, about 1/3 are South American, a pretty respectable percentage for such a remote and overlooked part of the U.S. ;-)

And my neighborhood in particular has a lot of Brazillians. They are replacing Italians who immigrated here in the 1950s and are moving on.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:48 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,004,819 times
Quote:
South Americans are massively underrepresented in both Canada and the US

(Chile, Colombia, Brazil, argentina, Venezuela etc.)

I think the US has a lot of mexicans, puerto ricans and central americans... if you didnt count those three, you'd find South Americans barely make it to under 1% of US population.

and in Canada they are even less rare
I am not sure if this is what you are saying, and I apologize if I am reading this wrong, but...

I did not know there was a minimum level of acceptable representation for South Americans outside of their home continent?

If that's the case then I would make the observation that French Canadians are massively unrepresented in Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA, Adelaide, Australia and Minsk, Belarus... and in London, Ontario and St. John's, Newfoundland!

Old 02-19-2015, 01:15 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,719,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
I think there are benefits to diversity but I also don't think the benefits are linear in terms of numbers. I fail to see how a city that is 50% diverse or foreign born is necessarily better or more interesting than a city that is 40% or 25%. I don't think you can cross compare this way in isolation. That is why diverse cities are diverse cities to me, the incremental benefit is not that large after a certain point. That being said, NYC, Toronto, LA, SF, and possibly Houston are the top tier in terms of diversity in that it is very noticeable. But I would still say many other major cities also qualify as diverse like DC, Montreal, Vancouver, Seattle, Chicago, etc.
I wouldn't put Houston in the "top tier." DC is probably more diverse than Houston and Chicago likely is as well.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:51 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,598,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
I wouldn't put Houston in the "top tier." DC is probably more diverse than Houston and Chicago likely is as well.
I hear you, that's why I said "possibly" because I don't think it's quite there with the likes of NY or Toronto but it does seem to be diversifying like mad and might be in the top tier one day.

I bring up Houston up a notch because there are plenty of articles out there like these that discuss the racial/ethnic diversity of the city.

http://kinder.rice.edu/uploadedFiles...rse%202-13.pdf
In Houston, America's Diverse Future Has Already Arrived : It's All Politics : NPR

I've also been there a couple of times and it does feel quite mixed up with plenty of east Asians, south Asians, African American, African black, Latinos and with whites making up just 40% the population. I know it may not be as diverse in terms of breadth of foreign languages spoken compared to NYC or Toronto but there sure are a lot of different colours and cultures in that city if one looks at diversity that way. Two years ago when I was doing a road trip through Texas, I saw tonnes of interracial couples in every major city. Diversity as a concept did not feel like a big deal there.

Old 02-19-2015, 03:01 PM

277 posts, read 785,812 times
Diversity is impossible to measure. In order for one city to be MORE diverse than another, you would need a representation of ethnicity X in that city that is NOT represented in another city. If a major western city can claim that they have at least one population that is present in their city and not in another city, then they would win the diversity prize.

Old 02-19-2015, 03:20 PM

3,862 posts, read 5,285,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_jordania View Post
Diversity is impossible to measure. In order for one city to be MORE diverse than another, you would need a representation of ethnicity X in that city that is NOT represented in another city. If a major western city can claim that they have at least one population that is present in their city and not in another city, then they would win the diversity prize.
I could totally get behind this thinking. Its really tough to find large communities that are not present in most of these cities in the US and Canada. I wonder how many people it takes to be considered an actual "community"? Seriously though it just shows how regular diversity is these days.

Last edited by edwardsyzzurphands; 02-19-2015 at 03:53 PM..

Old 02-19-2015, 03:54 PM

277 posts, read 785,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
I could totally get behind this thinking. Its really tough to find large communities that are not present in most of these cities in the US and Canada. I wonder how many people it takes to be considered an actual "community"?
I've been looking around at definitions, and there is no strict number of people you can ascribe to a community. A community can technically be two people.

Old 02-19-2015, 04:17 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,838,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I am not sure if this is what you are saying, and I apologize if I am reading this wrong, but...

I did not know there was a minimum level of acceptable representation for South Americans outside of their home continent?

If that's the case then I would make the observation that French Canadians are massively unrepresented in Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA, Adelaide, Australia and Minsk, Belarus... and in London, Ontario and St. John's, Newfoundland!
Quebec =/= an entire continent

since we're talking about diversity, I am pointing out that there are rarely any south americans in canada and pretty much most of the US

people say latino and think mexican, forgetting mexicans and south americans are completely different peoples and cultures....
take mexicans away you'll realize there is virtually next to none communities from any south american nationality in north americas.

According to the US census South Americans make up less than 0.7% of the US population and in Canada the number is even less!!!

both countries USA and canada do have ****loads of chinese, indians, mexicans and philipinos though (that is the north american diversity) in other words.... having a ****load of mexicans doesnt equal having latin american diversity, nor having cities completely saturated with chinese and indians make toronto and vancouver international cities full of diversity!!!

Old 02-19-2015, 04:44 PM

3,862 posts, read 5,285,733 times
Quote:
Quebec =/= an entire continent

since we're talking about diversity, I am pointing out that there are rarely any south americans in canada and pretty much most of the US

people say latino and think mexican, forgetting mexicans and south americans are completely different peoples and cultures....
take mexicans away you'll realize there is virtually next to none communities from any south american nationality in north americas.

According to the US census South Americans make up less than 0.7% of the US population and in Canada the number is even less!!!

both countries USA and canada do have ****loads of chinese, indians, mexicans and philipinos though (that is the north american diversity) in other words.... having a ****load of mexicans doesnt equal having latin american diversity, nor having cities completely saturated with chinese and indians make toronto and vancouver international cities full of diversity!!!
Mexicans make up the bulk of the Latino population in the US, which makes sense since they border each other. The two most populous states in the US have huge Mexican communities, so that also adds to it.

There are large US cities that have small Mexican populations in comparison to their other Latino communities. In Miami Mexicans rank 8th after Cubans, Nicaraguans, Hondurans, Colombians, Venezuelans, Puerto Ricans and Dominicans. In NYC Mexicans are 3rd, after Puerto Ricans and Dominicans. In Boston Mexicans are 5th after Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Salvadorans and Guatemalans.

There are also large Brazilian communities that are South American, but do not fall under "Hispanic" on the census. Miami and NYC have large Brazilian communities and Eastern Massachusetts has the largest Brazilian population outside of Brazil in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto