Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 08:57 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,637,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yeah, I've heard that they have their share of Dominicans there. I wonder if that has something to do with the fact that there are quite a few Haitians there too? That's considering that both nationalities share an island in the Caribbean.

Yeah, I think that's exactly what it might be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 02:23 PM

1 posts, read 6,700 times
to answer your question, the latin american population in toronto is pretty small if you compare it to any major US cities like New york or Los Angeles. Here are some stats so u get an idea of how big it is according to the 2006 census which is the lastest, the Latin american population in the city of toronto it self was 64,850 out of a total population of 2,400,000 approxiamately 2.6%, in the metropolitan population or the greater toronto area which includes the suburbs of toronto such as mississauga, brampton ect the latin american population is 100,000 out of a population of approximately 5 million people, having said that it is a sizable community and growing over the years. The countries that tend to have more representation are from El Salvador, Ecuador, Peru, Chile, and more recently from Colombia and Mexico, there is smaller numbers of people from the spanish speaking caribbean such as cuba and the dominican republic. The latin american population is more concentrated in the north west and west part of toronto, such as jane/wilson area, jane sheppard area, st clair ave west and vaughn rd areas

Old 03-20-2009, 12:46 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,041,562 times
This study seems to back up my observations of the ethnic pecking order in Toronto. I don't know how valid the source is though but you might be interested Lital.

globeandmail.com: Blacks, Hispanics at bottom of income ladder (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090310.wlmulticultural10/BNStory/lifeMain/home/ - broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
Although Toronto is very diverse some groups are much more represented than others. I've been visiting Toronto about twice a year for the past few years. The non-Euros are mostly East and South Asian rather than black and hispanic like in the States. There is prejudice because the last time I was there I saw a show on how the school system was failing blacks especially young black males. It also seems the canadian media sometimes portrays blacks and hispanics as being criminals and having lower educational attainments than the asian groups. The non-Euros also have problems getting employment equivalent to their educational level. Toronto is generally more easy going and relaxed compared to any major U.S. city but it does have issues with non-Euros.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:57 PM

1 posts, read 5,726 times
i got a quick question if anybody can answer it.....

where can i get information to move over to canada because me and my family want to move from texas to canada and yes we are mexicans.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:59 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,746,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paco2499 View Post
i got a quick question if anybody can answer it.....

where can i get information to move over to canada because me and my family want to move from texas to canada and yes we are mexicans.

The Government of Canada's immigration web site is your best source of information -- Welcome Page | Page d'accueil

Old 06-11-2010, 05:54 PM

87 posts, read 392,095 times
Toronto does not have any real underlying racial issues. To an extent yes, immigrants have a harder time finding good employment and their living standards lag. But thats to be expected of any immigrant group. People who are profeciant in English and have a descent educational background do fine regardless of race. The reason people of Asian or Indian descent are viewed favorably is because they have some of the highest levels of educational attainment and a descent number come to Canada with a certain amount of wealth to begin with.

I also believe the stat often used that suggests 50% of Torontonians were born outside Canada is not reflective of the city. I would argue that a fair majority of these people are like my neighbours who moved to Canada from Greece, Italy or India as children. Almost all the immigrants i know, moved here as children or young adults and are as Canadian as it gets.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:57 PM

5 posts, read 24,938 times
Check out:

http://www.tolatinotv.com
http://www.torontohispano.com

I found some demographic data online and Hispanics make up about 2.2% of the population -- a not insignificant number. (see: http://to.ronto.ca/demographics.shtml)

But yeah, there is not a lot of good Latin food here but there is some, especially in Kensington Market and also the West End.

I think you would feel comfortable here -- as others have said --Toronto is the most diverse city in the world.

Last edited by HotBean; 06-12-2010 at 11:59 PM.. Reason: html woes

Old 06-13-2010, 06:42 AM

793 posts, read 1,452,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotBean View Post
I think you would feel comfortable here -- as others have said --Toronto is the most diverse city in the world.
Toronto is racially and culturally diverse but...the most diverse in the world?

Old 06-13-2010, 07:02 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,375,112 times
When I first arrived In Vancouver in '78 you couldn't find a burrito in this town.
Now I wish I had taken Spanish instead of French in L. A. High School!
Vancouver has two groups of Mexican arrivals: concrete construction (my industry) and people with more money than Bill Gates smarter brother. (third and fourth generation money)
You haven't heard of the recent requirement for Mexicans to have a Visa to enter Canada?
It's been all over the conversation between the two meese stuck in the same room with the elephant!

Old 06-13-2010, 06:56 PM

5 posts, read 24,938 times
Toronto is racially and culturally diverse but...the most diverse in the world?

Some say so. The Economist published that a few years ago. And officially the city says:

"Toronto, with a population of 2.48 million people (5.5 million in the GTA - Greater Toronto Area) is heralded as one of the most multicultural cities in the world and is ranked as the safest large metropolitan area in North America by Places Rated Almanac. Over 140 languages and dialects are spoken here, and just over 30 per cent of Toronto residents speak a language other than English or French at home"

City of Toronto: Toronto Facts, Toronto's racial diversity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto