Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2011, 11:22 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,627,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
LA has sucked a lot of NY's culture? I would like to smoke whatever you're smoking and a large order of poutine when I'm done smoking please!

Why is it people who don't know NY think NY is just Manhattan? Is Montreal just the Old Port and Toronto just downtown? NY is still very much a cultural mecca. The multi-cultural mosaic is quite evident not just in Manhattan but in the boroughs and suburbs. As far as culture, it has not diminished. Several opera companies still exist. Broadway is still the pre-eminent locale for theatre. Many TV series continue to be made in NY. The movie business is still thriving. The art scene of Soho and Tribeca is vibrant and the city is still the home of the US' art magazines. Of course other cities have a thriving art scene as well but to say that NY is less so as it has become a corporate city? NY has ALWAYS been a corporate city! The analogy about being less cultured due to increase of corporate activity is a non-sequitur.
I lived in NYC since I was a kid and though its still an amazing city, its not as bohemian and edgy as it once was. Its definitely become more corporate.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:36 PM

536 posts, read 1,427,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic View Post
I didnt read what you wrote because I am offended????
--- Should that make sense?

If an anglo wants to make a life in Montreal,he must devote at least a year of intensive french in order to...

What is the problem with that? Do you seriously think many top french speaking execs dont speak english? Have you considered that 50 years ago french canadians did not have access to top jobs in the Montreal business establishment if they did not speak english, and the anglos did not make an effort to accomodate french speakers in their own language. If you want to live in Quebec, you need to learn the language of the majority, Québécois dont think twice about that when they work elsewhere in Canada or the US. Wake the frig up. You are sour and you can move on,you may contribute some sputum somewhere else, thanks.
Poor architext, we're making him miserable haha

Old 02-01-2011, 03:46 PM

65 posts, read 156,876 times
Quote:
Nick99/Poor architext, we're making him miserable haha
Yup, let him stew, something good may come of it...

Old 03-04-2011, 08:20 AM

1 posts, read 5,741 times
Montreal is so much more interesting than Toronto. It's so often in the top 3 in the world in terms of festivals, fun, party, north american character.

Toronto has no sense of itself yet. It's still looking for it.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:47 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,845,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudsterr View Post
Montreal is so much more interesting than Toronto. It's so often in the top 3 in the world in terms of festivals, fun, party, north american character.

Toronto has no sense of itself yet. It's still looking for it.
Not true.. you're not looking hard enough.

It seems like you purposely made an account to bash Toronto. It's TOO obvious.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:30 PM

182 posts, read 453,816 times
soo what is the topic about now? can we talk about World Class, Size (population and area), Quality of Life, Skyline(not really important, Toronto wins here), economy, facilities, scenery, beauty? economic importance, world ranking

Old 03-22-2011, 09:56 AM

26,809 posts, read 37,859,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
Not true.. you're not looking hard enough.

Just to be the devil's advocate - what does it tell you about a city's character/personality if you have to to go out of your way and look sufficiently hard to find it?

In all of the cities I can think of (New York, Boston, Montreal, Barcelona, Paris, London, Savannah, New Orleans, etc.) that are known for having lots of character, it just jumps out at you. You don't have to go sleuthing in order to discover it.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:08 AM

398 posts, read 730,995 times
Personally I like cities that require a bit of digging to get at their character and unique qualities. They are usually the ones that are more rewarding. I think Toronto by virtue of its large and varied immigrant communities has a lot of interesting areas to explore. There are all kinds of shops and restaurants with food and products from all around the world. There is an entire mall where you feel like you are in Hong Kong. There are streets filled with Indian groceries, clothing shops, and tandoori kabob houses. Outside of the ethnic influence, Toronto has many beautiful neighbourhoods with nice city parks, High Park, the Beaches, the Danforth, Queen West, Kensington Market. I have seen a lot more eclectic stuff in Toronto than in Montreal. Montreal does have its charm, Vieux-Montreal, the plateau, beautiful Westmount, and the mountain of course, but it lacks the huge ethnic communities that Toronto has. Both cities are awesome but I think Toronto just has a lot more to offer. If you just showed up in both cities and judged them based on how their downtowns and their tourist attractions look, then clearly Montreal's is much nicer... Vieux-Montreal and Ste-Catharine street are both much nicer areas than Yonge Street and the pathetic Toronto waterfront. But Toronto has a lot of great things going for it, go check out the Scarborough Bluffs or go bike riding on the toronto islands.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:30 AM

26,809 posts, read 37,859,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northbound81 View Post
Personally I like cities that require a bit of digging to get at their character and unique qualities. They are usually the ones that are more rewarding. I think Toronto by virtue of its large and varied immigrant communities has a lot of interesting areas to explore. There are all kinds of shops and restaurants with food and products from all around the world. There is an entire mall where you feel like you are in Hong Kong. There are streets filled with Indian groceries, clothing shops, and tandoori kabob houses. Outside of the ethnic influence, Toronto has many beautiful neighbourhoods with nice city parks, High Park, the Beaches, the Danforth, Queen West, Kensington Market. I have seen a lot more eclectic stuff in Toronto than in Montreal. Montreal does have its charm, Vieux-Montreal, the plateau, beautiful Westmount, and the mountain of course, but it lacks the huge ethnic communities that Toronto has. Both cities are awesome but I think Toronto just has a lot more to offer. If you just showed up in both cities and judged them based on how their downtowns and their tourist attractions look, then clearly Montreal's is much nicer... Vieux-Montreal and Ste-Catharine street are both much nicer areas than Yonge Street and the pathetic Toronto waterfront. But Toronto has a lot of great things going for it, go check out the Scarborough Bluffs or go bike riding on the toronto islands.
Fair enough.

I don't have a dislike for Toronto - there's nothing wrong with it to be quite honest. As I have said it before, it is a hugely successful city. But I do find it struggles to define its personality - maybe as it matures this will no longer be the case so much.

Also, although everybody has their favourite for reasons which are their own, I would venture to say in the most respectful way possible that people like you who say Toronto has "more to offer" are probably not aware of everything Montreal "has to offer" because it is mostly in French.

Not that I am blaming people for not knowing French, but it is a fact that it is more difficult to fully appreciate Montreal without at least some knowledge of French.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:27 PM

161 posts, read 520,534 times
If I only spoke french, I would move to Montreal in a second. It is the most aesthetically beautiful major city in Canada, by a long shot. I love all the lowrise buildings and the closeness of balconies that seem to foster community. I love being able to walk everywhere. I love the mountain in the middle of the city.

I like Toronto a lot too, though. I am from Toronto, and it even looks like I'll be moving back there next year, though hopefully just for the year. Nothing made me appreciate Toronto more than visiting Vancouver. For a lot of years I thought Toronto was boring and ugly and unfriendly, but I've come to really appreciate a lot of the great neighbourhoods within the city, all the great live music, the variety of food, the many different cultures that make up the city. It's just harder to find the right places, I think, because a lot of Toronto does feel bleak and dull, whereas everywhere I've been in Montreal has been beautiful and inspriring.

So yeah, Montreal wins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.