Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 02:18 PM

251 posts, read 1,034,600 times

Advertisements

What is the Quality of Life in Toronto? Is it the most
diverse city/area in Canada?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 10:24 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,748,958 times
Default Quality of Life?

Quality of Life is such an individual perception. It is dependent on the importance an individual places on any number of parameters such as weather, cogestion, air quality, shopping, etc, etc.

The Quality of Life can't be determined until the person asking explains what issues and factors are important to them.

As far as diversity goes, all of the Big 3 cities, (Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver), attract a great number of immigrants which leads to wide cultural diversity.

Toronto has various distinct neighbourhoods like Little Italy, Greektown, Chinatown, a Korean district, etc.

Old 03-27-2007, 07:05 PM

12 posts, read 51,063 times
we have the same district in montreal except the cost of life is lower. And i know i'm from montreal subburbs but i fell safer in montreal then i did when i went to toronto.

Old 03-27-2007, 11:09 PM

251 posts, read 1,034,600 times
Thanks so much for the responses, I have heard that Toronto is
more multi-cultural then the other areas in Canada, but that
Vancouver and Montreal are much nicer cities....

I live SF Bay Area and I have always wanted to go and
check Toronto out....

Old 03-28-2007, 11:29 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,748,958 times
Well, naomi, all three cities have their attractions and their warts.

Vancouver has the beauty of the Rockies meeting the Pacific Ocean, Toronto has the unique parklands and cottage communites of its harbour islands, and Montreal has the charm of the outdoor cafes of the Old Town.

All three also have dog doo on the sidewalks.

United and Air Canada run several non-stop flights a day between SF and Toronto; explore your world.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:55 AM

5 posts, read 38,715 times
SUCKS!! don't get me wrong toronto is a fun city, but the politics and people here are making it SUCK! everything is over priced, even a .25 cent bag of chips costs 1.95 here in toronto.. once you use your debit card in toronto GET A NEW ONE b-4 u get frauded by someone. Quality of life in toronto Sucks if you do not make over 95,000 a yr.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:06 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,956,644 times
I think the quality of life is superb. In the summer there are beautiful green areas, the Toronto Islands and plenty of places to walk, run and cycle. Toronto is an endlessly great place to walk around and explore. The diversity of hoods is greater than Montreal and certainly Vancouver. Great ethnic cuisine and i'm not a big club person, but apparently the club scene in Toronto is phenominal. I'm renting a great apartment downtown for 950 Cad a month. It is 1 bedroom but big enough and charming in a great hood. I can walk to pretty much anything. There are more sports venues here than any other city in Canada. You've got national Hockey, Baseball and Basketball teams along with the CFL. If you are into live theatre - nothing comes close than what Toronto has to offer in North America aside from NYC itself. Toronto also has a great new cultural mini explosion if you will, with extentions to the ROM which is often rated in the top 5 museums in N.A - along with the Art Gallery of Ontario extention. If you like a big city feel with scrapers, museums, restaurants, multicultural and authentic ethnic cuisine (Not 5star pricey restaurants) with colourful hoods and friendly people all around - Toronto is the Canadian city - Not to mention - it is still the economic powerhouse city.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:38 AM

366 posts, read 1,185,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxboy View Post
SUCKS!! don't get me wrong toronto is a fun city, but the politics and people here are making it SUCK! everything is over priced, even a .25 cent bag of chips costs 1.95 here in toronto.. once you use your debit card in toronto GET A NEW ONE b-4 u get frauded by someone. Quality of life in toronto Sucks if you do not make over 95,000 a yr.
Where in Canada can you get a .25 cent bag of chips?
You have access to a time machine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga75 View Post
I think the quality of life is superb. In the summer there are beautiful green areas, the Toronto Islands and plenty of places to walk, run and cycle. Toronto is an endlessly great place to walk around and explore. The diversity of hoods is greater than Montreal and certainly Vancouver. Great ethnic cuisine and i'm not a big club person, but apparently the club scene in Toronto is phenominal. I'm renting a great apartment downtown for 950 Cad a month. It is 1 bedroom but big enough and charming in a great hood. I can walk to pretty much anything. There are more sports venues here than any other city in Canada. You've got national Hockey, Baseball and Basketball teams along with the CFL. If you are into live theatre - nothing comes close than what Toronto has to offer in North America aside from NYC itself. Toronto also has a great new cultural mini explosion if you will, with extentions to the ROM which is often rated in the top 5 museums in N.A - along with the Art Gallery of Ontario extention. If you like a big city feel with scrapers, museums, restaurants, multicultural and authentic ethnic cuisine (Not 5star pricey restaurants) with colourful hoods and friendly people all around - Toronto is the Canadian city - Not to mention - it is still the economic powerhouse city.
Co-signing with above.
You forgot to mention a professional soccer team (Toronto FC)!
It really is a nice city. Not in the same league as NYC, LA or even Chicago, but cool city with lots to offer if your open minded and willing to explore.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:43 AM

409 posts, read 1,459,390 times
One of Toronto's mottos is "A City Within A Park". If you like walking/hiking around in nature paths despite being within the heart of a big city then this is a great city. You can find a ton of wildlife on a not-too-busy day.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:44 PM

701 posts, read 1,900,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Derf View Post
One of Toronto's mottos is "A City Within A Park". If you like walking/hiking around in nature paths despite being within the heart of a big city then this is a great city. You can find a ton of wildlife on a not-too-busy day.
I hope Toronto will plant more trees on its major streets, such as Yonge, Bloor, University, College, Dundas etc. There are very few trees.
Making Queen's Quay a tree lined boulevard will be a great idea also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto