Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2009, 12:45 PM

3 posts, read 50,746 times

Advertisements

Ok, so, I am moving from Florida to Toronto in the next few months and am looking for a nice neighborhood to live in. I would like something close to everything like the train so I don't have to drive to work. I will be working in the financial district so hopefully there is something that is a little off the beaten path but not too far. It should be fairly reasonable and better than average. I plan to rent for a while before buying. I am looking for a 3/2 bath appartment or home for less than 2000 US. Thanks for any insight you may be able to offer. I don't know cold weather other than in boot camp at great lakes. We had to stand in the snow with sweat pants and shirt only on.....

Thanks,

Ike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 05:50 PM

51 posts, read 97,557 times
any area in the west end is usually a good bet

Old 04-03-2009, 07:15 AM

175 posts, read 1,591,084 times
St Lawrence market, Little Italy, Yorkville, Cabbagetown are some of the nice neighbourhoods in downtown

Old 04-05-2009, 06:45 PM

26 posts, read 112,043 times
Are there family considerations, e.g. education? (I'm guessing that with your desire for a 3 bedroom apartment/house, there may be a child or two involved.) If so, you might want to look further along the subway lines, e.g. somewhere between St. Clair and York Mills on the Yonge St. line. There are nice stretches along the Bloor/Danforth line as well (e.g. between High Park and Royal York), but they require a subway line change in a commute to the financial district.

With a bit of searching, USD $2000 will get you a nice 3 bdrm apartment/condo, or a modest detached home, in attractive neighbourhood with good schools. (At the risk of opening a very tiresome debate, the Fraser Institute's "report cards" on Ontario schools are useful as a quick-and-dirty guide to where the decent ones are.)

You'll have to decide whether that your rental budget is supposed to include utilities or not. Heating/cooling costs can be extravagant in a poorly insulated house, so it's always worth asking for copies of the actual utility bills from previous years, to avoid unpleasant surprises.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:23 PM

75 posts, read 573,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikeleary View Post
Ok, so, I am moving from Florida to Toronto in the next few months and am looking for a nice neighborhood to live in. I would like something close to everything like the train so I don't have to drive to work. I will be working in the financial district so hopefully there is something that is a little off the beaten path but not too far. It should be fairly reasonable and better than average. I plan to rent for a while before buying. I am looking for a 3/2 bath appartment or home for less than 2000 US. Thanks for any insight you may be able to offer. I don't know cold weather other than in boot camp at great lakes. We had to stand in the snow with sweat pants and shirt only on.....

Thanks,

Ike

Fantastic areas: The annex/little Itally, Forest hill, Bloor village, the beaches, Condos along lakeshore (pretty much anywhere in GTA).

Old 04-08-2009, 11:43 AM

7 posts, read 77,499 times
cabbage town has gone bad as of recent years..especially near jamestown lots of thug kids...

Id go for the yonge strip just up rosedale yonge and davisville yong and eglinton yonge and lawrence yonge and finch are some good bets.

The west end is a bit iffy, try the highpark area or runnymede and bloor

avoid the jane strip areas keele strip weston rd areas

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 04-08-2009 at 09:19 PM..

Old 04-16-2009, 09:43 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,576,183 times
I used to live in the beaches and worked in Yorkville. My commute was less than 30 minutes by transit (less by car). You can get a place for ~ $1,500 CDN. If I ever move back to Toronto, I am going back to that neighbourhood for sure.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:06 PM

54 posts, read 338,605 times
anywhere on the Yonge St. strip from Bloor to Finch, along the subway line is really nice.

I personally live in North York - yonge and steels ( and that area has taken a turn for the worst, IMO at least)

Central Lakeshore is growing, with an onslaught on condo construction (until recently at least), so that might be a nice place to be, especially for commuting to the financial district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto