Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 09:22 PM

244 posts, read 920,780 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I am seriously considering relocating to Canada and am having trouble deciding what city to move to. I am interested in living a car free, or at least less car dependent, lifestyle. I am liberal/progressive, mostly vegetarian (although I still indulge in the occasional morsel of seafood or meat.....shhhh, don't tell anyone ), Cuban American, currently trying to finish my dissertation on sustainable development and social equity, 27 years old, and looking for a change of scenery. From what I can gather, Toronto is extremely diverse, is a foodie heaven (especially for ethnic food-Korean, Chinese, Jamaican, Ethiopian, Polish, Greek, Indian, etc.), and is dense and walkable/bikeable with a great, comprehensive public transportation system. Some of my friends have suggested that I try Vancouver but my girlfriend thinks that the gloom will get her down and she likes that Toronto is more diverse and cosmopolitan and closer to home (by plane anyway, we're from Florida). Weather is not an issue for me because I've lived in various places and have experienced snowy winters (although I've never lived in a place quite as cold as Toronto). So, is Toronto for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 08:30 AM

366 posts, read 1,185,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JProg305 View Post
Hi all, I am seriously considering relocating to Canada and am having trouble deciding what city to move to. I am interested in living a car free, or at least less car dependent, lifestyle. I am liberal/progressive, mostly vegetarian (although I still indulge in the occasional morsel of seafood or meat.....shhhh, don't tell anyone ), Cuban American, currently trying to finish my dissertation on sustainable development and social equity, 27 years old, and looking for a change of scenery. From what I can gather, Toronto is extremely diverse, is a foodie heaven (especially for ethnic food-Korean, Chinese, Jamaican, Ethiopian, Polish, Greek, Indian, etc.), and is dense and walkable/bikeable with a great, comprehensive public transportation system. Some of my friends have suggested that I try Vancouver but my girlfriend thinks that the gloom will get her down and she likes that Toronto is more diverse and cosmopolitan and closer to home (by plane anyway, we're from Florida). Weather is not an issue for me because I've lived in various places and have experienced snowy winters (although I've never lived in a place quite as cold as Toronto). So, is Toronto for me?

I've completed your Toronto-ability application checklist for you.

-Liberal. Check & check.
-Cool with diversity. Check & check & check.
-Into ethnic food. Check.
-Into transit and walking. Check.
-Don't mind winter and cold weather. Conditional check (to be reviewed after your 1st winter).

You mentioned a dissertation. Have you looked at the schools up here?
U of T, York etc...
You won't (obviously) find as large a Cuban or Hispanic community in Toronto in comparison to Florida, but if you seek, you shall find.
In summary, you should like it. Good luck.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:07 PM

Thanks for the feedback. The relatively low percentage of Hispanics/Latinos doesn't bother me in the least. Toronto is consistently ranked by the UN as one of the most diverse cities in the world. I absolutely love the plethora of ethnic neighborhoods (Chinatown, Corso Italia, Danforth, Roncesvalles, Little India, Little Korea, etc., etc.). Honestly, the winter kind of scares me a little bit but I do like the fact that many cold weather cities have an infrastructure that allows people to avoid too much contact with the elements. Toronto's PATH system seems like a great way to stay out of the wind tunnel streets during the winter, and I love that there are so many forms of public transportation (subway, streetcar, light rail, bus, etc.). I would really like to visit as many major Canadian cities as possible before making my decision, but to be honest, Toronto is already winning by a long shot. Because of the nature of my research, I have looked carefully at various cities in Canada (Toronto, Montreal, Halifax, Winnipeg, Regina, Saskatoon, Calgary, Edmonton, and Vancouver) and all of the cities have attractive amenities and features. Toronto, however, seems to have a level of vibrancy and diversity that is hard to match (I guess Vancity comes in a close second though).

Old 04-30-2009, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. The relatively low percentage of Hispanics/Latinos doesn't bother me in the least. Toronto is consistently ranked by the UN as one of the most diverse cities in the world. I absolutely love the plethora of ethnic neighborhoods (Chinatown, Corso Italia, Danforth, Roncesvalles, Little India, Little Korea, etc., etc.). Honestly, the winter kind of scares me a little bit but I do like the fact that many cold weather cities have an infrastructure that allows people to avoid too much contact with the elements. Toronto's PATH system seems like a great way to stay out of the wind tunnel streets during the winter, and I love that there are so many forms of public transportation (subway, streetcar, light rail, bus, etc.). I would really like to visit as many major Canadian cities as possible before making my decision, but to be honest, Toronto is already winning by a long shot. Because of the nature of my research, I have looked carefully at various cities in Canada (Toronto, Montreal, Halifax, Winnipeg, Regina, Saskatoon, Calgary, Edmonton, and Vancouver) and all of the cities have attractive amenities and features. Toronto, however, seems to have a level of vibrancy and diversity that is hard to match (I guess Vancity comes in a close second though).
There are only three 'real' cities in Canada IMO. Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver in that order.
No offence to the other cities, they have their appeal and are nice places, but in terms of density, scale and oppertunities, they don't measure up.
If you are looking for "big city" living, those are your only real choices in Canada. If you want a Medium-sized city or large-town, then the other places you mentioned are good options.

The PATH system is only right in the downtown core, so if you’re not working in one of the high-rises, you're on the street.
The PATH system is really just a collection of little underground malls.
You have one 50+ story office complex, and it has its own little food court and collection of stores, linked to another 50+ story office tower with its own food court and handful of stores... really nothing special. It’s convenient for the office workers catching the subway or GO trains in bad weather, but hardly a tourist attraction.
As for the diversity and neighborhoods, Toronto is great. Great for exploring.
A lot of the really ethnic shops and restaurants are moving out to the fringes of the city and the immediate suburbs, so you might need a car after all if you really want to get the realness.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:07 PM

Why are some of the ethnic shops/restaurants moving to the inner suburbs? Is it because they're getting priced out of Toronto proper? Which suburbs are we talking about-Missisagua, Scarborough, Etobicoke? Also, sorry to pepper you with so many questions but I thought that there would be more posts on this thread, I guess there aren't that many Canadians on city-data, what neighborhoods in the greater Toronto area should I avoid? I've heard that some areas like Brampton (not sure how close that is to Toronto), Scarborough, and Rexdale can be pretty rough around the edges. I'm from Miami and I've witnessed and experienced everything from carjackings, dead bodies in the street (seriously!), at least 5 burglaries, and countless assaults so I'm not too scared but I'd like to cut down on the amount of traumatic experiences in my life now that I'm getting a little older.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:34 PM

176 posts, read 638,787 times
Hi,

I'll just add the following point on "those certain suburbs" and let others elaborate on the point.

The truth is my friend, that many Ethnic people, from the predominant Ethnic group in that certain area, choose themselves not to live there. It is more a socio-economic thing as it is a crime thing. I'm not sure that makes sense, and don't mean to sound snooty, but its true.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:24 PM

Lionsdale, could you please be more specific? Are these individuals choosing not to live there because of the high cost of housing (which would certainly be a socio-economic reason), or is it because they would rather live in an enclave? I'm trying to understand where you're coming from.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Why are some of the ethnic shops/restaurants moving to the inner suburbs? Is it because they're getting priced out of Toronto proper? Which suburbs are we talking about-Missisagua, Scarborough, Etobicoke? Also, sorry to pepper you with so many questions but I thought that there would be more posts on this thread, I guess there aren't that many Canadians on city-data, what neighborhoods in the greater Toronto area should I avoid? I've heard that some areas like Brampton (not sure how close that is to Toronto), Scarborough, and Rexdale can be pretty rough around the edges. I'm from Miami and I've witnessed and experienced everything from carjackings, dead bodies in the street (seriously!), at least 5 burglaries, and countless assaults so I'm not too scared but I'd like to cut down on the amount of traumatic experiences in my life now that I'm getting a little older.
Bingo. Its cheaper in the 'burbs.
More space. Newer housing stock etc. etc.
Lots of manufacturing type jobs are located outside the city, some immigrant groups might move to be closer to jobs...
You're well informed about the "rough around the edge areas", but they really aren't that bad. Compared to MIA, its a kumbaya festival.
Brampton is 45mins northwest outside Toronto, it a large suburban city - about 350,000 people. Very multi-cultural, maybe a bit "blue collar" overall. Lots of warehouse and factories...
Scarborough is basically the east-end of Toronto: some 'hood areas and some nice middle class areas too. Everything from Chinese to Sri Lankan to Jamaican to ol'school British-Canadians. Its a huge geographic area, formerly a city its own right similar to say, Brooklyn is in NYC.
Rexdale is in the northwest quadrant of Toronto; more Indian and black. Considered the 'hood by many.
I have a feeling you'll be fine. So don't worry.

P.S. Sometimes its lonely being a Canuck on CD forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionsdale View Post
Hi,

I'll just add the following point on "those certain suburbs" and let others elaborate on the point.

The truth is my friend, that many Ethnic people, from the predominant Ethnic group in that certain area, choose themselves not to live there. It is more a socio-economic thing as it is a crime thing. I'm not sure that makes sense, and don't mean to sound snooty, but its true.
This is true. Not always fair. But true.
Every race/ethnic group does this though...

Old 05-01-2009, 11:30 AM

176 posts, read 638,787 times
Jprog,

I think west_end_don kind of broke it down better (demographics, hood-ness etc).

You make a good point. Are they avoiding the area because of the high cost of living. No. What begs to be mentioned is that there are highly ethnic neighborhoods, with their fair share of non-ethnics too, that are called Richmond Hill, Markham, etc, where these groups desire to live.

There are also highly dense ethnic neighborhoods that these same types would not prefer to live in because they are above it.

Perhaps if I had kids and stuff I would feel the same way but thats what I was trying to get at.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:49 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I understand what you're talking about now. There are similar patterns of relocation in Miami too. Alot of times richer Cubans will move from Hialeah and Little Havana (both are traditionally working class and lower middle class Cuban enclaves) to "nicer" areas like Coral Gables, Kendall, Doral, and Westchester. Some middle class and upper middle class Cubans jokingly call Little Havana "Little Managua" because so many Nicaraguans and other Central Americans have moved into the area. Question, are most black Canadians of West Indian or Caribbean descent or is there a decent amount of African Canadians (not sure if that is the right nomenclature), or the Canadian equivalent of African Americans? I can't wait to visit the T-dot (I know most locals probably hate that nickname just like most people from Atlanta hate it when people say "Hotlanta" but I got excited and couldn't help myself).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto