Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 04:26 PM

93,264 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanusc View Post
You are quite right. I have worked in both countries, and the fact is that US companies don't really care that much about "American experience", while Canadian ones are obsessed with it. Even European work experience doesn't count. You have to have washed dishes in Canadian restaurants to qualify as a dish washer The fact is such exclusion of foreign workers have deprived them of opportunities and hurt Canada's economy. Every time I mention immigrating to Canada to friends in my country, the first response is "it is extremely difficult to find a job isn't it? I hear PhDs have to drive cabs or become tour guides." Sadly it is true.
That still occurs in the US. I know people that had degrees from countries like Chile and Korea, having to work in jobs like a school cafe or taxi cab driver. So, it's not just Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 04:28 PM

93,264 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpierpont View Post
I think it is much easier for Canadians to embrace multiculturalism because they dont seem to have a strong culture their own. Not saying that's good, bad or other but it allows for easier interaction between the cultures.
I'm not sure about that. I think it depends on how long one's family has been in the country. Even in the US, it depends on who you talk to in terms of what you consider to be "American".

Old 05-03-2009, 09:13 PM

106 posts, read 357,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattncind View Post
Would you please show me where I implied that Canada should be "jealous" of the US, I see that nowhere in my posts.

My point is that if a Canadian economist was working in the US (many are, especially here in Boston-Harvard, MIT, etc..) published a report about why American cities should serve as an example to Toronto there is a VERY slim chance that it would be published in a major US newspaper, while the Media and general public in Toronto have an obsession with comparing itself to US cities and jump at any opportunity to engage in that comparison and discussion, that is the MAJOR difference.

One country caused the global recession????! Your understanding of Economics is obviously very limited if you think that the US on its own caused this mess many of us are in. It is a fact that many G-20 nations economies started to receed before the US economy,Industrial production started to drop in Canada in JUly 2007 for example when in the US it was January 2008. There are also countless other examples of this, but I do not believe the moderators would appreciate us engaging in a Economics discussion in this thread. If you would like to start a separate thread please be my guest.
I guess both I and your government are equally daft then. Shall I quote your treasury secretary.

"America bears a substantial share of the responsibility for the global economic crisis, Timothy Geithner, the US Treasury Secretary, admitted today." Geithner admits US responsibility for crisis

Old 05-03-2009, 09:27 PM

793 posts, read 1,453,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy2 View Post
I guess both I and your government are equally daft then. Shall I quote your treasury secretary.

"America bears a substantial share of the responsibility for the global economic crisis, Timothy Geithner, the US Treasury Secretary, admitted today." Geithner admits US responsibility for crisis
Operative word: SHARE. Do I really have to spell out the difference between share and complete. For some reason I think I do......

Old 05-03-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Operative word: SHARE. Do I really have to spell out the difference between share and complete. For some reason I think I do......
Does it really matter? Substantial blame.. is still blame when the day is done.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Does it really matter? Substantial blame.. is still blame when the day is done.
Honestly dude, it is tiring trying to explain anything to you, but here goes one last shot.

This is what you said: "Why would we be jealous of a country who caused this global recession" That would imply that the USA caused the global recession, not having a share of the blame (which is correct). If you cannot see the difference then I feel very sorry for you.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:58 AM

366 posts, read 1,185,774 times
Quote:
My response was in no way a shot at Souldive personally, but rather at the article itself. My issue is that many in the Media and community in Toronto feel the need to constantly compare itself to other cities, especially in the US. Why couldn't the article celebrate the diversity of Toronto without feeling the need to state that it is an example to other US cities? IF you really think of it can't some US cities serve as an example to Toronto? Economically, Architecturally, Environmentally, Artistically and Culinary wise? Of course! But you would never find an article in a major US newspaper saying that.

I am glad that you personally are happy in Toronto, many people are, and there are countless examples of Canadian ex-pats living abroad that are doing much better than they would in their former Canadian city (myself and wife included).

Canadian cities should not try to be like anyone else, the same way that US, European and Asian cities are unique, but why not celebrate that uniqueness without feeling the need to measure and compare itself to anything American.

I personally see nothing wrong with a little comparison and friendly competition (however pointless and silly it can be). At least in Canada we're looking outside our borders once in awhile, if you catch my drift...
As for Toronto's media; it has a bi-polar disorder. One minute, it's self-congratulatory to the extreme and the next minute it's bashing itself for not having the same level of sophistication of NYC or authentic Montreal bagels...
Nothing exists in a vacuum, so a little bit of comparison and self-reflection is not a bad thing.
As for Canada's obsession with the USA, it is often rather pathetic, but due to our similar history, language, culture and our shared border and intertwined economies, it so unreasonable? We started off in the same place, but we've taken rather different paths so to speak...
Besides, when you’re suffering through a miserable winter, you have to take solace in the fact that you're suffering for a cause instead of playing golf down in Phoenix or Florida. So you delude yourself into thinking; "at least I have free healthcare/live in a multi-cultural society/don't have to worry about crime etc."

Old 05-04-2009, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Honestly dude, it is tiring trying to explain anything to you, but here goes one last shot.

This is what you said: "Why would we be jealous of a country who caused this global recession" That would imply that the USA caused the global recession, not having a share of the blame (which is correct). If you cannot see the difference then I feel very sorry for you.
Okay, I get your point. However, you should save your sorries for yourself and your fellow US taxpayers. Your past and present government is tallying up one heck of a bill. It looks like I got out nyc just in time.

"For all of 2009, the administration probably needs to borrow about $2 trillion. The rising tab has prompted warnings from the Treasury that the Congressionally mandated debt ceiling of $12.1 trillion will most likely be breached in the second half of this year." ~ NYTimes
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/04/bu....html?_r=2&hpw

Old 05-04-2009, 06:12 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,984,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That still occurs in the US. I know people that had degrees from countries like Chile and Korea, having to work in jobs like a school cafe or taxi cab driver. So, it's not just Canada.
It does, but at the same time, a lot of our "higher" positions such as doctors, are people who are coming from East Asia, rather than people who actually got a degree in the U.S. I guess it just depends on what job you're trying to do.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Okay, I get your point. However, you should save your sorries for yourself and your fellow US taxpayers. Your past and present government is tallying up one heck of a bill. It looks like I got out nyc just in time.

"For all of 2009, the administration probably needs to borrow about $2 trillion. The rising tab has prompted warnings from the Treasury that the Congressionally mandated debt ceiling of $12.1 trillion will most likely be breached in the second half of this year." ~ NYTimes
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/04/bu....html?_r=2&hpw
Well you are opening up another discussion about Keynes vs Hayek economics, personally I believe that during a recession the Keynesian model is the one of follow due to it being used during the great depression (obviously a new-aged and modified model). Running up the deficit is never popular nor ideal, but deficit spending mixed with targeted tax cuts is what dug the US out of the Great Depression according to most economists.

With that being said the US deficit as a percentage of GDP is still not even close to Great Depression levels (120% at its highest) so it shows that the ceiling is still much higher than even the self imposed Congressional cap.

In addition to that economics is local just like politics, for example the economy started to recede here in Boston over a year after Miami for example, so are our experiences the same?. So in a recession resistant city even in the US your situation can still be quite good, even better than Toronto for example which has a much higher unemployment rate, GDP per capita and industrial production rate than many US cites. So I would say that I should save my "sorries" for all of us, since we are all in this together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto