Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 07:00 PM

450 posts, read 1,905,805 times

Advertisements

Having been in Toronto for a few days, there's much to like. However, I'm struggling to find a good pub, based on my personal definition of a good pub. What I'm looking for is

1) a good burger. Something at least half pound, homemade. I'm a burger nut and nothing is as soothing as a good burger.

2) HDTV. Not just hd televisions, but actual hd programming. Considering how lousy standard def looks on a flat screen, old tubes are preferable to hdtv without the proper signal.

3) less critical but a good tequila or Chopin (or Luksosova) vodka is easiest on my allergies.

Any suggestions? Anywhere in the GTA is fine. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 06:09 AM

176 posts, read 638,748 times
Hi there,

Just a hunch, but based on my previous visits to Toronto (and other sports bars in general), the ones that have NTN (that trivia bar game played on the tv's with a keypad) are usually fun places, and well stocked. Check out NTN trivia online for a look at locations.
Cheers.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:55 PM

I've found a few with ntn, it seems popular here.

I've found a few places now, mainly chains. Are there any good neighbourhood pubs anyone has come across?

Old 05-08-2009, 05:19 AM

366 posts, read 1,185,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
I've found a few with ntn, it seems popular here.

I've found a few places now, mainly chains. Are there any good neighbourhood pubs anyone has come across?
It's a big city. Help us narrow it down for you...

Old 05-08-2009, 08:26 AM

793 posts, read 1,453,227 times
The problem is that there are some pretty good sports bars that serve serviceable food and there are some places that have good Pub Grub and Burgers but do not have TV's. In my opinion no one has really mastered both at the same time in the GTA, but you have a couple options:

The Bottom Line- Front St: Serviceable food, solid sports bar with TV's
The Classiest Sports Bar In Toronto

Harbour Sports Grill: Once again decent food good sports bar
Harbour Sports Grille - Home Page

Upfront Bar and Grill: This Pub was used as a Fill in for a Boston Pub in the filming of Good Will Hunting, pretty decent spot for a Pint and to watch the game.
Upfront Bar & Grill toronto - Google Maps

If you are looking for the best Burger in town:

Yellow Griffin Pub: Really good Burger, best in Toronto IMO. Made fresh to order, juicy and not on some foofy roll like some places. I would skip the "specialty" burgers, and just go for one old fashioned one. Only complaint I have is that they seem hesitant to really make the Burger Medium Rare and cook it a bit too long.
Welcome to the Yellow Griffin pub - Best Burgers on Bloor

As an alternative there is Weezy's close to Moss Park: Little neighborhood Bistro, good burger: Toronto Life: Restaurants Guide: Weezie’s

Just as a warning, since you are a Burger nut, its inevitable that some of the locals will recommend Johnny's Burgers on Vic Park. This is a place that has stayed open on old reputation for very long and still has so many supporters. I remember it being good at one time, but that ship has sailed, HORRIBLE Burger!

Old 05-08-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattncind View Post
The problem is that there are some pretty good sports bars that serve serviceable food and there are some places that have good Pub Grub and Burgers but do not have TV's. In my opinion no one has really mastered both at the same time in the GTA, but you have a couple options:

The Bottom Line- Front St: Serviceable food, solid sports bar with TV's
The Classiest Sports Bar In Toronto

Harbour Sports Grill: Once again decent food good sports bar
Harbour Sports Grille - Home Page

Upfront Bar and Grill: This Pub was used as a Fill in for a Boston Pub in the filming of Good Will Hunting, pretty decent spot for a Pint and to watch the game.

As for sports bars - May I suggest Scallywags on St. Cair. They tend to show real sport though - like soccer.
Upfront Bar & Grill toronto - Google Maps

If you are looking for the best Burger in town:

Yellow Griffin Pub: Really good Burger, best in Toronto IMO. Made fresh to order, juicy and not on some foofy roll like some places. I would skip the "specialty" burgers, and just go for one old fashioned one. Only complaint I have is that they seem hesitant to really make the Burger Medium Rare and cook it a bit too long.
Welcome to the Yellow Griffin pub - Best Burgers on Bloor

As an alternative there is Weezy's close to Moss Park: Little neighborhood Bistro, good burger: Toronto Life: Restaurants Guide: Weezie’s

Just as a warning, since you are a Burger nut, its inevitable that some of the locals will recommend Johnny's Burgers on Vic Park. This is a place that has stayed open on old reputation for very long and still has so many supporters. I remember it being good at one time, but that ship has sailed, HORRIBLE Burger!
Johnny's Burgers! ROFLAO!
You ever hear of Apache Burgers on Dundas over by Kipling? I've been hearing about it for years, but never been there.

As for sports - Scallywags on St. Clair for footie.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west_end_don View Post
Johnny's Burgers! ROFLAO!
You ever hear of Apache Burgers on Dundas over by Kipling? I've been hearing about it for years, but never been there.

As for sports - Scallywags on St. Clair for footie.
You know exactly what I am talking about!! People LOVE that place. I used to work at the Atria II building at Vic Park and Sheppard and you wouldn't believe how many of my co-workers swore by that place, I swear I used to just go down the road to Peanut Plaza and get a Patty and go back and meet them at the Park benches by Johnny's!

I have heard of Apache, but never tried it myself. From what I hear they might be the West End version of Johnny's

Scallywags is good, actually the BEST for futbol, but not so much for hockey. Plus what are you doing bringing up futbol to me a couple days after my beloved Chelsea got robbed by Barca!

Old 05-08-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattncind View Post
You know exactly what I am talking about!! People LOVE that place. I used to work at the Atria II building at Vic Park and Sheppard and you wouldn't believe how many of my co-workers swore by that place, I swear I used to just go down the road to Peanut Plaza and get a Patty and go back and meet them at the Park benches by Johnny's!

I have heard of Apache, but never tried it myself. From what I hear they might be the West End version of Johnny's

Scallywags is good, actually the BEST for futbol, but not so much for hockey. Plus what are you doing bringing up futbol to me a couple days after my beloved Chelsea got robbed by Barca!
Haha! Peanut Plaza! Cocoa bread and patty! LOL!
I haven't been out that way in a looooong time!

Chelsea?!?!?!?!?! Sorry dude, I was warming up to you but you lost me there!
Arsenal is my glory squad. I feel you on the heart break though!

Old 05-08-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west_end_don View Post
Haha! Peanut Plaza! Cocoa bread and patty! LOL!
I haven't been out that way in a looooong time!

Chelsea?!?!?!?!?! Sorry dude, I was warming up to you but you lost me there!
Arsenal is my glory squad. I feel you on the heart break though!
That is my old stomping ground man, good times.

Well I guess I can understand how you feel, Chelsea did knock you boys out of the FA Cup a couple weeks ago and steal Ashley Cole as well, so I would be a little bitter myself!

Old 05-08-2009, 02:56 PM

Thanks for the links, I will check them out! As far as being more specific, any area of the GTA is fine. Just finding places with those three criteria is good, location is irrelevant. I've found a few Boston Pizza locations with HDTV and sound on playoff games. Yet the small neighbourhood pub, Chicago-style if that makes sense, is my ideal place. By that, I mean lots of regulars but welcoming to newcomers, good food, etc.

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto