U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-14-2011, 09:28 PM

4 posts, read 23,959 times

Advertisements

According to The Star and the Toronto police .41 people are killed in Jane and Finch per every 1000 residents for every 4 years. .41 divided by 4 equals about .10. 100 000 divided by 1000= 100. So for every year, 10 people are killed in Jane and Finch per 100 000 people. Out of Toronto's averaged 60 murders a year, 10 of them happen on Jane street, making Jane street the most violent street in Toronto. Average of 1.7 murders per 100 000 people in Toronto per year. Jane and Finch is about five times more Dangerous then the rest of the city of Toronto. Toronto is not dangerous at all compared to other cities Rio de Janeiro. 37 murders per 100 000 people., Detroit, 41 murders per 100 000. New Orleans, 60 murders per 100 000. St Louis, 40 murders per 100 000. And Buffalo, 20 murders per 100 000 people. And even Provinces and all three territories exceeded Toronto's homicide rate. Nunavut, average of 14 murders per 100 000 is Canada's most dangerous Territory and region, and Iqaluit, which is the capital city of Nunavut is Canada's most dangerous city.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 09:45 PM

4 posts, read 23,959 times
According to The Star and the Toronto police .41 people are killed in Jane and Finch per every 1000 residents for every 4 years. .41 divided by 4 equals about .10. 100 000 divided by 1000= 100. So for every year, 10 people are killed in Jane and Finch per 100 000 people. Out of Toronto's averaged 60 murders a year, 10 of them happen on Jane street, making Jane street the most violent street in Toronto. Average of 1.7 murders per 100 000 people in Toronto per year. Jane and Finch is about five times more Dangerous then the rest of the city of Toronto. Toronto is not dangerous at all compared to other cities Rio de Janeiro. 37 murders per 100 000 people., Detroit, 41 murders per 100 000. New Orleans, 60 murders per 100 000. St Louis, 40 murders per 100 000. And Buffalo, 20 murders per 100 000 people. And even Provinces and all three territories exceeded Toronto's homicide rate. Nunavut, average of 14 murders per 100 000 is Canada's most dangerous Territory and region, and Iqaluit, which is the capital city of Nunavut is Canada's most dangerous city.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:17 PM

4 posts, read 9,949 times
I personaly used to live close to brimliey and sheppard it's actually the best part of northern scarbrough that you can find but now that I've moved to bayview sheppard area it's nicer but not much to do in nice RESIDENTIAL areas

Old 06-04-2012, 10:37 AM

242 posts, read 227,152 times
In 2011 the # of murders dropped to 49 in Toronto. With a population of 2.65 million in 2011, that means Toronto's murder rate continued to drop. I have lived in the GTA my entire life and I can attest that yes it is one of the safest large cities in North America. It beats any US city by a long shot and is on par with Vancouver, Ottawa, Montreal in Canada.

We have a very safe country here overall.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:35 PM

454 posts, read 270,647 times
I really hope you didn't bump this thread just because of the eaton centre shooting. Things like this annoy me when the media blow it out of proportion and exaggerate the violence in toronto.

Coincidentally enough just before the shooting took place (being bored i suppose) i was just randomly comparing homicide statistics between cities and toronto pretty much came below not only every major us city but most Canadian cities as well.

So in all this media hoopla i just shake my head and encourage people to look at the statistics.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:39 PM

3,912 posts, read 2,763,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
In 2011 the # of murders dropped to 49 in Toronto. With a population of 2.65 million in 2011, that means Toronto's murder rate continued to drop. I have lived in the GTA my entire life and I can attest that yes it is one of the safest large cities in North America. It beats any US city by a long shot and is on par with Vancouver, Ottawa, Montreal in Canada.

We have a very safe country here overall.
yes, our 49 compares with about 419 in Chicago, 502 in New York, 324 in Philadelphia and 298 in Los Angeles.

Despite the "it is not safe anymore" claims, Toronto is still very very safe.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:43 PM

454 posts, read 270,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
yes, our 49 compares with about 419 in Chicago, 502 in New York, 324 in Philadelphia and 298 in Los Angeles.

Despite the "it is not safe anymore" claims, Toronto is still very very safe.
Don't use sheer numbers as a comparison. I've actually seen an article statement about how toronto is the best place to be killed in canada just due to it having the most homicides numerically, well yes it is the largest city.

Per 100,000 is the best comparison.

New york has well over 2 and half times the people of chicago for instance.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhundred View Post
I really hope you didn't bump this thread just because of the eaton centre shooting. Things like this annoy me when the media blow it out of proportion and exaggerate the violence in toronto.

Coincidentally enough just before the shooting took place (being bored i suppose) i was just randomly comparing homicide statistics between cities and toronto pretty much came below not only every major us city but most Canadian cities as well.

So in all this media hoopla i just shake my head and encourage people to look at the statistics.
can't agree more.

Even media in the US, UK and Austria are reporting this. I fail to understand why this particular case needs to be so high profile and more important than any homicide case happened in any city. One person died a couple injured. Most of other casualties were due to the crowding and pushing when people tried to get out.

The eaton centre case means absolutely nothing in terms of our city's safety. At the end of the day, it is just one of the 40 murder cases each year. Making a big out of as if it means some sort of disastrous trend is stupid.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhundred View Post
Don't use sheer numbers as a comparison. I've actually seen an article statement about how toronto is the best place to be killed in canada due to it having the most homicides numerically, well yes it is the largest city.

Per 100,000 is the best comparison.

New york has well over 2 and half times the people of chicago for instance.
of course understand the population difference. I just didn't bother to calculate because the math here is too simple and straightforward and the numbers are so different.

NYC is the safest city among them all (lowest on a per 100,000 basis). Murder cases are more than 10 times that of Toronto in 2011, yet population is 3 times. That still makes Toronto three times safer.

Chicago and Philly would be 10 times more one a per million people basis. I think the most dangerous city in Toronto is probably safer than New York when you look at homicide rates.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:52 PM

1,753 posts, read 1,203,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
can't agree more.

Even media in the US, UK and Austria are reporting this. I fail to understand why this particular case needs to be so high profile and more important than any homicide case happened in any city. One person died a couple injured. Most of other casualties were due to the crowding and pushing when people tried to get out.

The eaton centre case means absolutely nothing in terms of our city's safety. At the end of the day, it is just one of the 40 murder cases each year. Making a big out of as if it means some sort of disastrous trend is stupid.
Its a big deal because it happened in a crowded public place. Yes the Gunman hit his 2 intended targets (from reports) but also wounded innocent bystanders in the process. If someone walked into a mall and murdered someone in most cities it would be news.

This is a change of pace from your typical murder in both Canada and the US where it is usually gang or drug related, happens in low income neighborhoods and all victims are "known to police". When it doesnt, then it actually becomes big news. No surprise there. It is not an indictment of a cities overall safety but it is worth covering. Plus its not really high profile, the coverage has started to die out already.

Last edited by edwardsyzzurphands; 06-04-2012 at 01:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto