Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 08:06 AM

43 posts, read 53,054 times

Advertisements

People that say nyc is similiar to toronto climate are halirious. Nyc lays is subtropical contenial zone, while toronto in humid contenial zone , its big difference. Its almost like comparing new york city to alaska.

Anyway, toronto's climate is extremely unpredicble in all 4 seasons and it does get really cold and windy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 10:16 AM

14,823 posts, read 11,942,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtropical weather sucks View Post
People that say nyc is similiar to toronto climate are halirious. Nyc lays is subtropical contenial zone, while toronto in humid contenial zone , its big difference. Its almost like comparing new york city to alaska.

Anyway, toronto's climate is extremely unpredicble in all 4 seasons and it does get really cold and windy
Subtropical continental zone! This made me chuckle lol

Old 11-08-2013, 10:40 PM

71 posts, read 347,940 times
My strongest memory is the consistent daily -20 with windchill all the way from Dec/Jan to the first week of May...I'm not sure if living in the downtown core near countless high rises and low-rises exasperated the windchill effect.

Old 11-09-2013, 03:03 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,122,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equalizer101 View Post
My strongest memory is the consistent daily -20 with windchill all the way from Dec/Jan to the first week of May...I'm not sure if living in the downtown core near countless high rises and low-rises exasperated the windchill effect.
The temps in Toronto arent anywhere near -20F from Dec through May even with windchill factored in., they may experience an extreme cold snap where -20F may be achieved but its certainly not the norm and it certainly doesnt last more than a few days..

City of Toronto: Toronto's Climate

Old 11-09-2013, 06:19 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,666,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
The temps in Toronto arent anywhere near -20F from Dec through May even with windchill factored in., they may experience an extreme cold snap where -20F may be achieved but its certainly not the norm and it certainly doesnt last more than a few days..

City of Toronto: Toronto's Climate
he was probably talking about -20C. -20F is -29C, which probably never happened in Toronto.

Even -20C is rare (without windchill). Coldest temperature are normally -15C during night/before dawn. Average low is -7C downtown. It simply can't possible be -20C for a prolonged period of time. We are not Winnipeg.

Old 11-10-2013, 12:02 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,384,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Subtropical continental zone! This made me chuckle lol
New York City is a subtropical climate. The average temperature in the coldest month, January.. is > 0C. Just because it snows doesn't mean it isn't a subtropical climate. 10C temps are not uncommon at all in NYC winters. Snow covering the ground for extended periods is actually rare.

I live in Buffalo. Toronto is a tad colder but less snow. I personally don't think winters in either are bad at all. If you can't handle the 3 months of semi-cold weather, you need to grow a pair.

Old 11-10-2013, 03:02 PM
BMI

7,455 posts, read 7,236,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
New York City is a subtropical climate. The average temperature in the coldest month, January.. is > 0C. Just because it snows doesn't mean it isn't a subtropical climate. 10C temps are not uncommon at all in NYC winters. Snow covering the ground for extended periods is actually rare.

I live in Buffalo. Toronto is a tad colder but less snow. I personally don't think winters in either are bad at all. If you can't handle the 3 months of semi-cold weather, you need to grow a pair.
Subtropical for NYC seems a bit silly, there are tedious long debates in the
weather forum about it.

All stems from Koppen's climate classification system (from back in 1899 !!)
With coldest month average temp above -3C threshold (later modified to above 0C)

All I know is Paris, London, Vancouver are all milder than NYC in January,
and most people living in those cities would have a tough time thinking of NYC as being
subtropical.

Personally I consider cities like Buenos Aires, New Orleans, or Sydney to be subtropical.
IMO NYC doesn't quite fit subtropical designation, hey but that's just me

Old 11-11-2013, 09:36 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,384,050 times
There is nothing silly about NYC being subtropical. It averages over 50% sunshine in its cloudiest month, it has abundant precipitation, and its warmest month is above freezing.

NYC is a stark contrast in climate from Buffalo, and certainly from Toronto. They are not similar at all. NYC is subtropical, Toronto is continental.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:09 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,666,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
There is nothing silly about NYC being subtropical. It averages over 50% sunshine in its cloudiest month, it has abundant precipitation, and its warmest month is above freezing.

NYC is a stark contrast in climate from Buffalo, and certainly from Toronto. They are not similar at all. NYC is subtropical, Toronto is continental.
Manhattan (-2.8/3.5C) on average is only 4C warmer than downtown Toronto (-6.7/-0.7C) in January and about 2C warmer in July (28.9 vs 26.5C). Being close to the ocean, NYC has 50 inches of precipitation, versus 34 inches in Toronto. They are different but hardly in stark contrast.

New York does have a lot more sunshine than Toronto (2530 vs 2066) but this is not due to the subtropical vs continental difference. Medicine Hat AB is continental has has over 2500 hours of sunshine every year as well.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:43 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,383,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
New York does have a lot more sunshine than Toronto (2530 vs 2066) but this is not due to the subtropical vs continental difference. Medicine Hat AB is continental has has over 2500 hours of sunshine every year as well.
Canada measures 'bright sunshine' using the Campbellā€“Stokes method. You would have to add anywhere from 250 to 400 hours to the Toronto figure to compare it with NYC. In general, Toronto is cloudier during the winter and sunnier during the summer. NYC has a more evenly distributed percent of possible sunshine.

Also, Pearson airport is sunnier on average than downtown Toronto because of its proximity to lake Ontario.

More info can be found here: Sunshine hours education thread

Many people find it surprising that Buffalo has the sunniest summer of any major city in the northeast US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto