Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2009, 12:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,190 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm an MSW (master of social work) graduate moving to Toronto this September. I'll be looking for a job, although my problem is that I don't feel like I fit the typical social work mold. So I'm wondering if a city like Toronto has unusual/creative jobs that still lets me use the skills I was taught in school (incl. research, advocacy, analysis, addressing trends in society, etc.).

Any ideas or suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 03:23 PM

53 posts, read 236,988 times
My advice to you is to abandon hope of finding this job and take what you can get.

You're looking at an over saturated job market, at the tail end of a recession. I realize just coming out of school, you probably have very high aspirations, and want to start changing the world immediately, but you need to think realistically.

I don't say these things to be mean, I'm just trying to be honest with you. Your dream of coming to the big city and working an interesting, unique job is not likely to come true. I don't want to tell you to give up on your dream, but unless you get extremely lucky, I would expect to be doing the work that you're trying to avoid when you come to Toronto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto