Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 05:56 AM

6 posts, read 20,428 times

Advertisements

Okay thanks Fred, I can understand now about the residency , still wondering if they will consider the fact that he is actually residing in Canada on the ship for 186 days residency....I guess only OHIP can tell us that. But I did look into our health insurance which is blue cross and I see they will cover him for urgent or emergency care worldwide so I guess paying almost 800.00 a month for both of us might be worth it if we need it.

We are having his company research excactly what they are going to be cancelling on him since his contract does say they offer him extended health care..could be interesting!

Thanks again for your info , this has all been very helpful!

Donna
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 08:32 AM

786 posts, read 2,761,844 times
In which province will he be residing in Canada when he is on the ship? If I understand correctly, he will be at sea 1/2 the year, and then living in the US for the other half.

If being employed on a Canadian flagged ship counts as Canadian residency is probably the big point here. Will he have a permanent land address in Canada? What address will he use when he submits his Canadian taxes at the end of the year?

If he has a permanent Canadian address, AND the time spent on a Canadian ship counts as residency time, and not as time out of the country, then he should be classed as a resident of that province and the company should be paying the provincial Medicare and his (hopefully) company paid supplemental insurance. He would NOT be living in the US the rest of the time, though he could easily be visiting there the entire time he is not at sea.

Since he is going for permanent US residency, all of the above does not apply. In that case, he is the resident of a foreign country who is taking employment on a Canadian vessel. I am not exactly sure how that will play out in terms of taxes and everything else. The health insurance would be just one of the wrinkles in that case.

I would be consulting someone versed in naval law. I do not think this would be an uncommon situation. Is there a union or some association that you could turn to for advise?

One other question. Are we talking about an ocean going vessel, or a ship that will be staying within Canadian waters the entire time? Ferry, tour ship etc. Does he live on board, or does he stay on land?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto