Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 01:18 PM

4 posts, read 6,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkgg7 View Post
Who on earth was talking about condos? Why every time one mentions the word "development", you immediately thinks about condos? There are many things a city can do, besides putting up ugly glass condos as they have done along the lake. I swear in 10 years, those modern looking glass towers will look ridiculously stupid.

I agree with you than the island should NOT allow cars to get in, however why would building a bridge destroy the neighbourhood? Isn't it a good thing Torontonians can get to the island and enjoy the beauty of it in 10 minutes walking for free instead of spending $6.5 waiting for the stupid ferry for half an hour? You are on the list of getting a home there, no wonder you don't general public to have easy access to it. You just want it to be some excluded paradise of your own. Speaking of selfishness. Why would having a pedestrian only bridge prevent people from enjoy their disco golf and afternoon picnic?

It absolutely blows my mind that people think just because they want things to stay where they are (no matter how backward it is), a city should stop moving forward.

By the way, a tunnel will be build soon, no matter you like it or not. The island is part of Toronto and belong to all Toronto residents. It should never be the little paradise of the previleged few who want both the proximity to downtown and seclusion from the hustle bustle.
If you don't think vehicular traffic to the island isn't a precursor to residential development on a ridiculous scale you haven't been anywhere near the waterfront in the last 5 years. Outside of the Corus building beside Sugar beach can you name 1 non condo development within 3 blocks of the downtown waterfront in the last 5 years?

You have the nerve to call me selfish? I found a neighbourhood I want to raise a family in, that I researched, that cannot be just "bought" into... I respect everything that went into developing what it is and why it is... some out of town clown makes an off the cuff comment to you and you feel you have the right to wipe out a long time community because they find it uninteresting.

I am well aware of the tunnel, and the previous tunnel that is now feeding our city cooling project. I just hope that it remains undesirable enough to discourage developers and you too find a community that speaks to you of your values, and some politician builds a hog rendering plant on it because his friend from Texas didn't like the view.

I caught your disco golf crack too... fyi the is a world class course out there.. I would try to make fun of your hobbies but I'm guessing spouting your opinion is your only one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 03:12 PM

701 posts, read 1,899,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scudly Fiendish View Post
If you don't think vehicular traffic to the island isn't a precursor to residential development on a ridiculous scale you haven't been anywhere near the waterfront in the last 5 years. Outside of the Corus building beside Sugar beach can you name 1 non condo development within 3 blocks of the downtown waterfront in the last 5 years?

You have the nerve to call me selfish? I found a neighbourhood I want to raise a family in, that I researched, that cannot be just "bought" into... I respect everything that went into developing what it is and why it is... some out of town clown makes an off the cuff comment to you and you feel you have the right to wipe out a long time community because they find it uninteresting.

I am well aware of the tunnel, and the previous tunnel that is now feeding our city cooling project. I just hope that it remains undesirable enough to discourage developers and you too find a community that speaks to you of your values, and some politician builds a hog rendering plant on it because his friend from Texas didn't like the view.

I caught your disco golf crack too... fyi the is a world class course out there.. I would try to make fun of your hobbies but I'm guessing spouting your opinion is your only one.
You talk like condo is an evil thing, which is absurb. We live in downtown condos, giving up space, sucking up the noise and pollution in return for the convenience. You dont want condos, move to the suburbs.

My guess is that you want to live in a quiet tree lined crime free neighbourhood full of Victorian houses? so does 99% of the rest population. The fact is, downtown is a prime location, and buiding a bunch of low density 2000sf single family houses for 3-4 people to live is a total waste of resources and stupid. If you want those houses, live somewhere 50 miles away from downtown. Yes, you want the island only desirable to you, but others are not stupid. It is a fair market. If building a 50 story condo on the island makes more economic sense, it will happen no matter whether you like it or now. I am sure that will not happen. All I am saying is the island belongs to all Torontonians, and providing easy access is the right thing to do. To artificially make it inaccessible just because the island residents don't want their life to be disturbed, that's selfish.

I agree with you the waterfront area is outrageously hideous due to those cheap looking condominiums. It is not condos that ruin the area, it is the ugly condos.

Air Canada and Continental Airlines will fly off the island soon this year, others will be applying too naturally as it is simply so easy to fly out of it. The airport will surely be expanding. Good luck with your waiting list to get into the paradise in the lake.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:18 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,745,110 times
Quote:
You talk like condo is an evil thing, which is absurb. We live in downtown condos, giving up space, sucking up the noise and pollution in return for the convenience. You dont want condos, move to the suburbs.

My guess is that you want to live in a quiet tree lined crime free neighbourhood full of Victorian houses? so does 99% of the rest population. The fact is, downtown is a prime location, and buiding a bunch of low density 2000sf single family houses for 3-4 people to live is a total waste of resources and stupid. If you want those houses, live somewhere 50 miles away from downtown. Yes, you want the island only desirable to you, but others are not stupid. It is a fair market. If building a 50 story condo on the island makes more economic sense, it will happen no matter whether you like it or now. I am sure that will not happen. All I am saying is the island belongs to all Torontonians, and providing easy access is the right thing to do. To artificially make it inaccessible just because the island residents don't want their life to be disturbed, that's selfish.

I agree with you the waterfront area is outrageously hideous due to those cheap looking condominiums. It is not condos that ruin the area, it is the ugly condos.

Air Canada and Continental Airlines will fly off the island soon this year, others will be applying too naturally as it is simply so easy to fly out of it. The airport will surely be expanding. Good luck with your waiting list to get into the paradise in the lake.

Say what?

Artificially inaccessible? ROFLMAO

It's a group of friggin islands ---- you know, pieces of land surrounded by water.

If you wish to play that angle, the truth of the matter is that building a bridge or a tunnel would actually make those land masses artificially accessible.

The general population of the city has easy access to the islands now.

Wait for the boat, pay your fee and hop aboard -- it's not unlike walking a block to the bus stop, waiting for 15 minutes, paying your fee, and proceeding to your destination.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:06 PM

4 posts, read 6,436 times
Quote:

Condos an evil thing, no. I currently live in one right on the water, have for over 13 years, worked walking distance from my home the whole time. Waited 9 years on the list already.

I guess I missed the proclamation that all green space in a city needs to be assimilated to pack more people into a space the current infrastructure was never designed to handle.

Do I want to live in a safe community with a reduced fear of some idiot running over a member of my family, I pretty sure I'm not alone in that yes.

If you honestly think the bridge and airport expansion are certain than why was the rail link (although like everything else abdominally slow in completion) to Pearson approved?

Also a fair market... guess again. The Island is not Torontonians. It's Provincially owned and managed with it's own trust company to look after residence. After a fight over trying to prep the best designed and made community in Toronto, bar none, for extinction to make way for development, the community pushed back... you really need to know what you are talking about before sounding off about YOUR right to develop someone else's home.

Truth is if there wasn't a push back there is no way 99% of us could step foot on what would have been the "new" post road.

You original spoke of a relatively inexpensive (I assume pedestrian) bridge... well without screwing up the water way where do you propose? The Eastern gap? Although there would be considerable parking for a change the hike to Centre Island would be almost an hour... the airport side, well you actually can't get to the rest of the island without crossing runways... so where?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto