U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 07:52 PM

1 posts, read 9,087 times

Advertisements

Give it time and the worst parts of the GTA will be just the same as the slums anywhere else. I have lived in Rexdale for a very long time (40 years), there are many hard working middle class people that live in this area, but the problem is someone decided 28 years ago to build over 10 apartment buildings along north east of Kipling Ave, I think there are more than 10, and most are subsidized housing. Whos the brains behind that idea, when we already have Jamestown to contend with, meanwhile, south Etobicoke is the pinnacle of suburbia. Housing in the Rexdale area have lost their value, yet, homes in south Etobicoke are still going strong. If my home were in south etobicoke the value would be doubled. Can you blame anyone for not wanting to live in Rexdale. To make matters worse, they are now building another building, Condos just south of Albion Rd., more low income housing. Doesn't anybody get it, the more low income housing you build, the more they will come. I am not an urban planner but even I know this is a recipe for more crime...someone please stop these idiots they are ruining this neighborhood and build some nice houses please. This neighbourhood is not going down, its already done.....I just feel sorry for the good hard working people that have made a life here and have to deal with a neighbourhood that was once a beautiful place to live go to ****sville. As time goes on, people like myself, will have to eventually move out of the city and more low income people will populate the area, same thing will happen in the other crappy places to live in Toronto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 02:32 PM

257 posts, read 771,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieLovesCarolina View Post
Brampton is going downhill pretty fast. A lot of thugs types seem to be leaving the inner city and moving there. There is quite a bit of drugs and gang activity. Even in the newer neighborhoods. Someone keeps marking up playground equipment with obscene language and gang graffiti in one of the newer developments in Fletcher's Meadow. My friend is convinced that someone is selling drugs right on the playground at night because they keep seeing the same boys hanging out there late at night and suspicious cars pulling up and talking to them. The parents in that neighborhood are really upset by what's going on.

Besides that, people in the area are not maintaining their homes properly and letting them fall into disrepair. We were house hunting last year and were shocked at the conditions of some of these homes. And they still want to charge top dollar for these run-down homes. We even observed one man repairing a roof and neglecting to put down tar paper. You couldn't pay me to buy a house in Brampton.
What are the crappier areas of Brampton?

Old 10-22-2011, 11:13 PM

8 posts, read 25,245 times
Hello,

I am a frequent reader on these boards and having grown up in Rexdale, now living in Malton, I think my opinion would be of value. Firstly, my parents are Jamaican immigrants and have worked very hard to give me a decent life, and right now we can afford to live in a "wealthier" area, but are more than comfortable in Malton. Secondly, Rexdale, Jane/Finch, Flemingdon Park, Jungle, etc. are not anywhere near the level of urban blight and poverty we see in American cities. In fact, I would say a lot of the city has even gotten better since the late 80s/ early to mid 90s, when things/crime/drugs were probably at its worst. To suggest these areas will eventually be like the ghettos of America is a far cry. In the states many of those areas have families that have been in poverty for a 150+ years post emancipation. Here you have mostly immigrant families who for the most part, I would say 90-95% want to work hard and make a good life for their children like my parents did. The media sensationalizes how bad Rexdale, Malvern etc. are and at times I feel like its a slap in the face. I run into people ever so often that tell me they drive through Jane and Finch with there windows up and doors locked. Why? Through one of the busiest intersections in the city? A lot of fear plays into the way these areas are viewed. Spend some time in Malvern, or Jungle, and you will see, people are really just trying to get by and achieve a better life for their families.

It is common saying that a few bad apples spoil the whole bunch. In this case it is a few bad apples defining the perception of a whole area, which honestly is not fair to the majority of hard working families in these communities.

As for Brampton, what gets me upset about Brampton is how terribly planned it is, one way or another it was not always going to work out when you let developers have free reign. I hope the best for that city anyways though. But the same idea, most people who live in Brampton are hard working individuals, it is just a few that make bad decisions and are selfish that cause these problems. I recommend to go there for yourself and see.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:00 AM

1 posts, read 8,702 times
**Moderator:snip** Obviously none of you even lived in any project housing or rough areas in the US. Ive lived in both toronto housing and ive lived in some of the worst places in the California (East Oakland, South Sacramento, etc) I can tell you cause I been there and I know. Yea those cities are 10 times more messed up then any canadian city, you wanna know why? Drug abuse is reallly high even with the young people. Everyone is smoking meth, dope, poppin exctasy. Its really common even within the gangs. In toronto black communities your friends dont support drug use within their circles. Over there it's way different. Alot of kids are just smoking meth and going out and robbin and shooting and the gangs dont care cause it just makes their hood look crazier and gains respect. Also buying guns off the street is way more expensive in Canada. Its like 4x the price so of course there are less shootings. I welcome any of you to walk through regent park or lawrence heights at night and il bet you that you'll be holding your breath when you walk past a group of kids. I know alot of you are gonna say you walk through all the time but your either lying or you know exactly what Im talking about and your just hiding behind your computer screen thinking your really tough. **Moderator:snip**

Last edited by sunshineleith; 11-11-2011 at 05:18 AM..

Old 11-10-2011, 02:39 PM

142 posts, read 258,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedas4 View Post
Obviously none of you even lived in any project housing or rough areas in the US. Ive lived in both toronto housing and ive lived in some of the worst places in the California (East Oakland, South Sacramento, etc) I can tell you cause I been there and I know. Yea those cities are 10 times more messed up then any canadian city, you wanna know why? Drug abuse is reallly high even with the young people. Everyone is smoking meth, dope, poppin exctasy. Its really common even within the gangs. In toronto black communities your friends dont support drug use within their circles. Over there it's way different. Alot of kids are just smoking meth and going out and robbin and shooting and the gangs dont care cause it just makes their hood look crazier and gains respect. Also buying guns off the street is way more expensive in Canada. Its like 4x the price so of course there are less shootings. I welcome any of you to walk through regent park or lawrence heights at night and il bet you that you'll be holding your breath when you walk past a group of kids. I know alot of you are gonna say you walk through all the time but your either lying or you know exactly what Im talking about and your just hiding behind your computer screen thinking your really tough.
I 100% agree with you. There opinionated whitewashed blabbering of the Canadian forums is just too much for me to bear sometimes.

You are very right about your portrayals of how Canadians could walk at night in Rexdale or Regent Park and feel tough. It's so right on the money I laughed out loud.

Unfortunately most Canadians will never experience the urban blight in US. The huge ghettos of the 1990s are long gone, so unless they look for it, you wont find it. Who would go out looking for trouble anyway? (Not a whitewashed paranoid Canadian I assure you LOL)

Last edited by sunshineleith; 11-11-2011 at 05:19 AM.. Reason: removed orphaned material

Old 11-10-2011, 03:19 PM

585 posts, read 457,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architext View Post

Unfortunately most Canadians will never experience the urban blight in US.
There's nothing "unfortunate" about it. Canadians should count themselves very lucky that they have nothing anywhere near the nastiness of US cities.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:23 PM

1,833 posts, read 1,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerbilzak View Post
There's nothing "unfortunate" about it. Canadians should count themselves very lucky that they have nothing anywhere near the nastiness of US cities.
I have always found this line of thinking quite odd. Do you think a kid from an inner city neighborhood in Toronto who has parents who can't afford to feed them that night is really thinking about how lucky they are that they are not in the US? How on earth does that help feed them? Or how about someone in Toronto who lost a brother, cousin, father to gun violence, does the fact that their location is Canada as opposed to the US make them feel any more safe in their neighborhood?

In reality people living in US ghettos should feel fortunate that they do no live in Sudan, Brazil, Jamaica, etc....but that does not improve their situation in the least bit.

At the end of the day, poverty is poverty, crime is crime and if you live in what is considered a high risk neighborhood in Toronto you are far from lucky. As someone who personally lived in a neighborhood that is considered high risk (Jungle-Lawrence Heights) I can attest to the fact that we were not fortunate in the least bit, the multiple funerals for young men I grew up with or in my family I attended are evidence of that.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:23 PM

585 posts, read 457,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
I have always found this line of thinking quite odd. Do you think a kid from an inner city neighborhood in Toronto who has parents who can't afford to feed them that night is really thinking about how lucky they are that they are not in the US? How on earth does that help feed them? Or how about someone in Toronto who lost a brother, cousin, father to gun violence, does the fact that their location is Canada as opposed to the US make them feel any more safe in their neighborhood?

In reality people living in US ghettos should feel fortunate that they do no live in Sudan, Brazil, Jamaica, etc....but that does not improve their situation in the least bit.

At the end of the day, poverty is poverty, crime is crime and if you live in what is considered a high risk neighborhood in Toronto you are far from lucky. As someone who personally lived in a neighborhood that is considered high risk (Jungle-Lawrence Heights) I can attest to the fact that we were not fortunate in the least bit, the multiple funerals for young men I grew up with or in my family I attended are evidence of that.
Yes, it's always worse somewhere. Yes, people live in unfortunate circumstances everywhere.

This is not news, and has nothing to do with the main point: Canada's worst areas are an order of magnitude better than the USA's, and for this Canada should count itself lucky (or, I would argue, smart, for its Canadian policies that make it so).

Old 11-11-2011, 01:01 AM

1,833 posts, read 1,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerbilzak View Post
Yes, it's always worse somewhere. Yes, people live in unfortunate circumstances everywhere.

This is not news, and has nothing to do with the main point: Canada's worst areas are an order of magnitude better than the USA's, and for this Canada should count itself lucky (or, I would argue, smart, for its Canadian policies that make it so).
Considering there are certain US States that have lower homicide rates than some Canadian Provinces, I would argue that policy has very little to do with policy and more so history. File:Homicide-world.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would also argue that while the worst in Canada does not compare equally with The US, there is alot more opportunity for members of the Black and First Nations communities in the US to succeed as compared to Canada. So that "luck" is not equally spread to all races in Canada.

Old 11-12-2011, 01:19 AM

4 posts, read 15,671 times
Yes it's definitely not as bad as ones in Detroit, southside Chicago, etc. But it could compare to some American ghettos at least, or at very minimum, comes closer than anywhere else in Toronto or perhaps even all of Canada does to being like an American ghetto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto