Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2010, 11:50 PM

7 posts, read 25,839 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am planning to do my first landing in Windsor Canada in this coming Summer (most probably by end of May). I am planing to come with my wife and son (1 yr. old) and planing to stay for a period of 1-1 1/2 months to complete the initial documentations. Pls. can anybody advice that how much money initially do we need bring there including government fees, how much need to open an Bank account, to apply for SIN, Health card, Traveling, Food, etc.

We are thinking of renting a furnished apartment (Studio or 1 bed room) instead of a hotel. Is it advisable? if and if any other necessary item which I missed above, Pls. appreciate your advice. I am currently reside in Dubai.

Thanks in Advance,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 03:27 PM

53 posts, read 331,559 times
Here are some key links for you:

SIN application: Social Insurance Number

There is no fee to apply for SIN

Health card info: Settlement.org | How do I apply for a Health (OHIP) Card?

The cost of living between Windsor and Toronto is vast. If you're coming to Canada just to complete the initial documentation, Windsor would be a far cheaper option than Toronto. You should be a able to get short term in some sort of an aparment or private home for a few hundred dollars. Even a cheap hotel in Windsor could run you $90 / night. Try Craigslist for short term rentals.

How much money should you bring? I'd bring about 2.5K (probably way more than enough) to cover your rent, food, transportation for one and a half months. Bring a credit card as well to cover any emergency expenses.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:41 AM

7 posts, read 25,839 times
Thanks a lot for your advice
Regards,
Cj

Old 02-11-2010, 08:13 PM

30 posts, read 184,550 times
no comparison in cost between windsor and toronto! Windsor is much cheaper. I wouldn't stay in a hotel but more a furnished accomodation you'll save alot of money

Old 02-15-2010, 02:26 PM

276 posts, read 745,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_hungry_wanderer View Post
Here are some key links for you:

SIN application: Social Insurance Number

There is no fee to apply for SIN

Health card info: Settlement.org | How do I apply for a Health (OHIP) Card?

The cost of living between Windsor and Toronto is vast. If you're coming to Canada just to complete the initial documentation, Windsor would be a far cheaper option than Toronto. You should be a able to get short term in some sort of an aparment or private home for a few hundred dollars. Even a cheap hotel in Windsor could run you $90 / night. Try Craigslist for short term rentals.

How much money should you bring? I'd bring about 2.5K (probably way more than enough) to cover your rent, food, transportation for one and a half months. Bring a credit card as well to cover any emergency expenses.
Are you dazed and confused? Windsor is a lot cheaper than Toronto!

Old 02-24-2010, 01:19 PM

301 posts, read 1,324,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elisaa View Post
Are you dazed and confused? Windsor is a lot cheaper than Toronto!
That's exactly what I said in my post.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:20 AM

2 posts, read 7,014 times
Lots of vacant apartments in Windsor so you can find cheap rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto