Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 02:39 PM

701 posts, read 1,895,909 times

Advertisements

Even gridlocked Los Angeles is a better place for commuters than Toronto and its neighbouring municipalities, says a study conducted for the Toronto Board of Trade.
It takes people in Greater Toronto an average of 80 minutes to commute to work, round trip, the study found.

Toronto ranked last in survey of commuting times - thestar.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 02:44 PM

It seems both car commuting and public transportation (claimed to be only after NYC in North America?) are embarassing.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:52 PM

2,618 posts, read 1,500,719 times
The 401 and QEW are parking lots. This is because of the lack of infrastructure and we sold Hwy407 which was supposed to relieve congestion.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:39 AM

301 posts, read 1,325,064 times
It's bad and it's only going to get worse before it gets better.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:14 AM

178 posts, read 522,727 times
This is why I moved, I hate hate hate Toronto........

Old 04-07-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwestman View Post
It's bad and it's only going to get worse before it gets better.
One thing is clear, the city need better public transportation, A LOT. It needs to triple its subway network and make the buses/streetcars more frequent and efficient. Ironically, the government always talks about "going green" but don't invest in it.

Not to mention the cost. Think about it, for two people to get to downtown to have some entertainment, it costs $10-12 round trip, which is enough for parking somewhere for a day. Why would they not drive?

Right now we are 2010 people living in the 1980's. No kidding. This is more like somewhere with 5million residents:
Attached Thumbnails
Toronto, worst city to commute-chicago.gif  

Last edited by kkgg7; 04-07-2010 at 02:18 PM..

Old 04-07-2010, 03:25 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,789,845 times
When i went to Toronto back in the summer of 2008 , i was shocked on how bad the traffic was , it was stop & go after the Niagara region on the QEW , there weren't many alt freeways as soon found out. I ended up using the 407 to the 401 to escape the QEW's traffic , that was a big mistake. As soon as i got on the 401 i hit the biggest wall of traffic i have ever seen. Even when it opened up 20 lanes it was still bad. And this is coming form a NYC metro resident , your traffic is appalling and your transit system is small and terrible to use. even the PATH system in Toronto is confusing. I don't understand how you guys keep adding more and more investments into your city without investing in a better transit regional rail system.....

Old 04-07-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
When i went to Toronto back in the summer of 2008 , i was shocked on how bad the traffic was , it was stop & go after the Niagara region on the QEW , there weren't many alt freeways as soon found out. I ended up using the 407 to the 401 to escape the QEW's traffic , that was a big mistake. As soon as i got on the 401 i hit the biggest wall of traffic i have ever seen. Even when it opened up 20 lanes it was still bad. And this is coming form a NYC metro resident , your traffic is appalling and your transit system is small and terrible to use. even the PATH system in Toronto is confusing. I don't understand how you guys keep adding more and more investments into your city without investing in a better transit regional rail system.....
I guess many locals will find your comments offensive and condescending, as always, however, it is about 100% true. The fact that TTC charges much a higher fee than MTA is hard to imagine. Half of the price will be considered overpriced considering the level of services it provides vs MTA and CTA.

PATH is extremely confusing. The signs are very hard to follow because they don't tell you which direction/street you are going. Instead, they show which building you are heading toward, as if everyone is supposed to remember the exact location of those 200 meter boxes in downtown

Old 04-07-2010, 08:08 PM

178 posts, read 522,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkgg7 View Post
I guess many locals will find your comments offensive and condescending, as always, however, it is about 100% true. The fact that TTC charges much a higher fee than MTA is hard to imagine. Half of the price will be considered overpriced considering the level of services it provides vs MTA and CTA.

PATH is extremely confusing. The signs are very hard to follow because they don't tell you which direction/street you are going. Instead, they show which building you are heading toward, as if everyone is supposed to remember the exact location of those 200 meter boxes in downtown
Why would it be condescending? Because it's 100% true?

Old 04-07-2010, 08:33 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,789,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkgg7 View Post

I entered the PATH and i assumed i was going south. I Walked to the end popped out and to my amazement the Downtown Skyline was tiny and i had walked north, but that was not the end of it. I thought my eyes were playing tricks so i continued to walk north , and the fact that the buildings have no different styles didn't help. It was also raining , so i asked the locals , they didn't even no what direction was what. So i ended up walking another 21 blocks north along Younge Street before someone said i was going North. I come form a region were everything is simple , so i thought Toronto would be like the other Canadian cities i have been too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto